FBV for the new folks

CaptBill

You guys are doing a great job. But every now and then plea s e think a bit more about those of us who are close to clueless. FPV seems fascinating but for many it's just to confusing. It might actually be simple but it seems like trying to plan a moon launch, especially for those returning to or just starting with rc.
One thing that really attracted me to give all this a try was watching eagles soar over a bay near me. I wan to build a plane that can soar With them AND do so in an FPV experience experience . However I'm in the dark on how to get started.
I'm think there are others who might feel the same.

Waggs 1956

FPV for noobies

You are so right with what you said. I have asked for a beginning series on multirotors. Stephen said something was in the works. Nothing as of yet. I really hope that flitetest which I like very much it not getting into to many different parts of flight and are not going to be able to spend much time on any one thing. Only time will tell. I would like like to see more on FPV also.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
It's a fair and reasonable request.

Having been around FliteTest for some years now I have seen various topics covered and re-covered. This will inevitably be a necessity as equipment, skills, and techniques change.

Perhaps, until there is another show that covers what you desire, you could ask specifically what you need. The strength in FliteTest is much ore than the show; it's the community. In the community you pretty much get personal up-to-date tech support along with the knowledge of what shows have already been done.

So, ask your question and be as specific as you can. It might be a question that's been asked a dozen times. A little searching of the forums will reveal this happens all the time. Yet the questions get answered. If you do search the forums, you might find the answer on your own. But if not, please do ask. If there is one thing this community enjoys, it's sharing.

Respectfully,
—Jim

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
FPV is really pretty simple once you know how to build and fly. The key is taking it on in steps. Trying to learn to build/fly/maintain a hangar and fly FPV all at once is not recommended. Coming in as a newbie and flying FPV in the first week is just not realistic, IMO.

Start by learning to fly and build LOS. You need LOS acro flying skill to tune a multirotor or to trim out fixed wing anyway. You need to learn about lipos and charging and how to use your radio its limitations and your limitations as well as the local law.

Once you have these skills, FPV is about stepping up one level by adding a camera, transmitter, viewing device and learning to fly from a different perspective.

FPV and LOS flight differ primarily in that FPV reduces situational awareness to increase the immersive flying experience. The camera reduces your field of view allowing you to concentrate on where the model is going but it eliminates your ability to see the model and what is around it. Your skill in LOS piloting can help you offset this loss of situational awareness and can make you a better FPV pilot.

FPV is a transition you make when you are ready. I don't recommend it for people who are very new due to some of the hazards that are not immediately obvious including additional legal considerations.

FPV is high school for RC. I recommend you finish grade school first to get the best out of FPV and reduce the risk to your homeowners insurance policy.

IMO, the forums are a better place for these lessons as we may take more time and get to know you and your skillset more personally. You mentioned your current skill level and the type of flying you want to do. Great! Based on that we can make some recommendations for you, personally.

For OP, I recommend building a Tiny Trainer, Simple Storch or Bixler out of foamboard. Learn to fly it and repair it until it cannot be repaired any more. Build and crash and fly these until you are confident flying 4 channels and repairing it. Adding the weight of FPV gear will require that you can handle an altered flying experience. Start by getting in the build time and stick time with one of these soaring type planes BEFORE you add the camera equipment and raise the cost of crashes.

For Waggs 1956 I don't know what type of flying you want to do. FPV flying a racing copter is very different from soaring a fixed wing and I don't know your goals. What we say on this forum may be VERY tailored to what you personally want out of the experience.

FliteTest is different. One size does NOT fit all. Here we try to help you find your own size instead of provide you with one that works for rocket scientists with vast expanses of room to fly. This diversity makes it seem more complicated, but I think you will find it empowering if you stick it out.