FF East 2017 Build Series Question

KB9KHM

If I sign up for a build series at FF East 2017, I understand that results in building one aircraft. My question is, how much of my family can I bring along for the build? If I want to include my child, wife, a friend, and all work on building the aircraft together, how many people can I bring for one paid session in the build series?

Fasted2629

Great question. Last year we had no limit on how many peoplr could assist the builder. For room though that could get a little tight. I believe we could accommodate if needed. The thing to remember for the build os all tools are supplied based on one builder.
So as long as they share well ;) it should not be an issue.

Eddie Black

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
The hosts and event staff at Flitefest go out of there way to make sure everyone has a good time. I speak for experience from all the prior east events :D. I just want to make sure my building buddy gets a seat next to the future Mrs Black! :p I think this will be a yearly tradition Eddie!

KB9KHM

Thanks everyone! I'd like to include my daughter, wife, and a friend in the build experience and let everyone have a hand in at least some part of the build. I know that if everyone brought a sizable group, we'd run out of space in the build series tent, so I understand having a practical limit, just wondered what that might be, or what happened at previous events. :D

aviator99

This is great info I was wondering the same thing. We would love to do the build series but would love to do it as a family there is four of us, might have to sign two of us up. What has the cost of the build series been in the past, any idea what it will cost approximately? Do you sign up at the event or prior? This is our first Flite Fest if you cant tell. :)

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
This is great info I was wondering the same thing. We would love to do the build series but would love to do it as a family there is four of us, might have to sign two of us up. What has the cost of the build series been in the past, any idea what it will cost approximately? Do you sign up at the event or prior? This is our first Flite Fest if you cant tell. :)

You will need to sign up prior to event. I would image it would be through Eventbrite as before. For FFE16, it was around $30 for the FT Tiny Trainer build kit with the FT Community Cast dudes. The cost didn't include a power pack at FF16 but we were surprised by Emax with free power packs (Super Cool!). The FT Arrow build at FFW17 was $85 but included speed build kit and power pack. I would guess the $85 range is where they should be at for this years East event.

The set up at FFE16 was two builds per table. At our build table, my daughter built along side a woman (name escapes me). I sat at one end of the table and the woman's father sat on the other end to assist and /or watch. Most of the tables appeared to have one builder and one assistant (ie. parent) at them.

IMG_8584.JPG IMG_8586.JPG

I am hoping to do the new FT Simple Cub with my daughter this year, as she is most interested in the Cub and STEM this year.

See ya there!
-Aaron (and Hannah)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
My understanding is that the builds like these will indeed require payment of some sort to cover the cost of parts and kits. Other sessions as part of the building series that are more Q&A or lecture styles will not require a cost as there are no goods to cover. For example, my Bugatti build Q&A session will not require registration (as far as I know) so feel free to show up and go as you please.

acp

K0ACP
Any idea when and where one can sign up for the builds? I know that both myself and bride will want to give it a try ....

73 es God Bless,

Art / K0ACP
Kat / KD0JHX

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
They are planned as far as I know, but I have not seen a schedule yet either.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Reports I'm seeing say registration for these classes will open sometime today. No word as to when.

Keep checking the main flitefest site :)

mybad

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/flite-fest-east-2017-build-series-tickets-35816800013#tickets

They are open. Only one Simple Cub was available just now and 9 Bloody baron. Act quick and/or keep refreshing as they may show back up.

SOLD OUT. This is a shame. We were looking forward to this after all the hype about the simple cub. What a disappointment and a letdown.

BTW. Where did the link for this appear? I couldn't find it on the main event page anywhere, but the link you posted works.

Last edited:

KB9KHM

An email was set out yesterday to registered Flite Fest attendees saying that build series signup was starting today at noon. Based on the email info, I set an alarm to remind myself to sign up. I was able snag one if the tickets. See you all there!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
MyBad,

All is not lost. The group build is full, but the build tent is always open ;)

(well, at least until they shut the lights off)

acp

K0ACP
I registered for the beginner build and wondering what we should bring, guessing at a minimum radio, receiver, and battery, but what about glue gun, knife, etc.? I'm a rather noob and would hate to make a rookie mistake and forget the tape?

Any input from the group?

73 es God Bless,

Art / K0ACP

mybad

I registered for the beginner build and wondering what we should bring, guessing at a minimum radio, receiver, and battery, but what about glue gun, knife, etc.? I'm a rather noob and would hate to make a rookie mistake and forget the tape?

Any input from the group?

73 es God Bless,

Art / K0ACP

They will supply all the building materials, glue guns etc. you might have to share which can delay things, so feel free to bring whatever you'd like. Receiver sure, but don't think you'll need the radio.

Seahawk

Given how quickly the build series slots were booked, has anyone heard any talk about additional sessions being considered. I would happily volunteer to help run it , if it meant I could get one of my kids in. If it is not being considered, anyway to get word to the powers that be to consider the idea? Seems to be a staggering amount of interest.