Finding 4ch plane balsa kit

0__0

Hi, recently I've been trying to find my next RC model. I am looking for a "mid sized" (around 1m) 4ch trainer plane. The thing is that i'd like a balsa kit not a foam speedbuild kit. I have looked around the internet but haven't found any good models. I found the Vintage model co "Balsa Basics Cub". The only downside with this one is that it only has 3ch so no ailerons... Do you guys know any kits fitting these parameters ? Or is it possible converting a 3ch plane to 4ch ?

Thank you.

Arcfyre

Elite member
Hi, recently I've been trying to find my next RC model. I am looking for a "mid sized" (around 1m) 4ch trainer plane. The thing is that i'd like a balsa kit not a foam speedbuild kit. I have looked around the internet but haven't found any good models. I found the Vintage model co "Balsa Basics Cub". The only downside with this one is that it only has 3ch so no ailerons... Do you guys know any kits fitting these parameters ? Or is it possible converting a 3ch plane to 4ch ?

Thank you.

I built the balsa basics cub as a 4ch. Wasn't too difficult to add ailerons.

Bricks

Master member
Are you looking for a trainer style plane or? If you look at .40 size IC planes it will put you in the ball park size wise.

OliverW

Legendary member
The Sig 4 star 40! It's an awesome little plane. It tbe midwest aerostar 40 which Balsaworkbench sells a short kit for

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
There are many great 1.5 meter balsa kits. If you are okay with the extra size the SIG Kadet, Balsa USA Stick 40, Balsa USA Student Trainer, The SIG Spacewalker, The Balsa USA Smoothie, Thr Balsa USA Excaliber, The Balsa USA Eindecker, The Balsa USA Laker, and many more. I tried to order them in building difficulty as well.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
How much of a trainer are you looking for? and what size again? you mention at first that you are looking for 1 meter? All kits mentioned so far are 1.5 meters or 60" or so. so ill mention a smaller one. I had a great time building my first balsa plane the 4charlie form stevens aeromodel. It isn't trainer shaped but it is 4ch and flies slow and easy. I have only had a few flights on it so far but I love it for a nice peaceful flight.
https://www.stevensaero.com/product/bbm_fl007_bdl/
if interested I documented the build and first few flights. here

0__0

The guys at my RC club highly recommend that I buy at least a 1,5m wingspan model so I'll go for that. I am having lessons with a RC teacher so I won't get an absolute beginner plane, more like an "intermediate trainer" if that makes sense.

Bricks

Master member
One that will really fit the bill as easy flier but yet very capable is the tried and true Ugly Stick

0__0

I'm quite sure I'll buy either the Boomerang 40 or the Ugly Stik. But which one do do think is easier to pilot ?

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I'm quite sure I'll buy either the Boomerang 40 or the Ugly Stik. But which one do do think is easier to pilot ?
I'm guessing the boomerang might fly a little easier, but the Ugly Stick should be a simpler build

0__0

Now the only problem with the Ugly Stik is the price. It costs 130$ on Hangar One just for the airframe... Where can I find it for a good price ?

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Now the only problem with the Ugly Stik is the price. It costs 130$ on Hangar One just for the airframe... Where can I find it for a good price ?
That seems to be the lowest I could find, which for a kit of that size is pretty normal. Unfortunately, many of the Ugly Stick manufacturers (Great Planes, Graupner) are out of buisiness now. I'd look on rc groups, and post a wanted for an Ugly Stick kit. If you don't want to wait as long the Bommerang, and simmilar kits like the Kadet and Stick 40 plus seem to still be in stock.