First glider flight

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
So, two days ago someone gave me two gliders that were both a bit damaged.
One of them is a Thunder Tiger Windstar, pretty old stuff but the only problem was a broken elevator, I epoxied it, installed the servos and a motor and took it to fly.

I think it was a bit tail heavy because I had to use a lot of down elevator compared to what I read on the internet but otherwise it was great (exept a little incindent in the video)

now some photos

1472920136-dsc-0427-mov-image-fixe005.png

1472920081-dsc-0427-mov-image-fixe006.png

It seems that every aspect of the hobby is a whole new world of fun and stuff to learn, I love it :cool:

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I got a folding prop today so I grabbed my friend and went to fly, it was nice and as it turns out it doesn't need nose weight, nor a moron constantly working the elevator.

As you can tell by the end of the video the glider landed rather hard, the wing joint was damaged and it's gluing right now but I may add some 2mm plywood later, lesson is: let your friend pilot a foamy that can take a lot instead of a nice balsa one until he's really good at it.

Now some pictures

1473280033-drtudf.png
1473280055-sdgzs.png
1473280066-sfhs.png
1473280067-sxfgn.png

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I got a folding prop today so I grabbed my friend and went to fly, it was nice and as it turns out it doesn't need nose weight, nor a moron constantly working the elevator.

Now THAT, I can relate to ;)

A common term around the RC soaring community is a "glider guider" -- trim her to float and after that only suggest where you want her to go, more like a guide than a pilot. A docile, well behaved airframe will follow your suggestions more efficiently than you can so the harder you try the worse she flies.

Thunder tiger made some nice gliders, and she's a beauty. Keep feeling her out and learning her quirks and you'll be able to fly until you're ready to quit and set her down right at your feet when you do :)

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
alright, time to cry for days

3pm, pretty nice sun, came back from school one hour ago. I took it to fly solo to trim it a bit and try to get some flight time, after I used the motor a bit to get some altitude it went in a very nose up altitude and dived straight into the ground from about 50m high.

Im so mad and angry I couldn't save it, it may be possible to rebuilt it but it might just not be worth it, at least the wings are not too damaged.

I will post later when im done crying.