Flite Fest 2016 World Record

97tj-neil

My son had multiple brownouts with dsmx OrangeRX receivers. Once I had him switch over to dsmx LemonRX receivers, he had no more issues, including the record attempt and the Saturday combat. I ran Lemons on dsmx all weekend and never had a single issue.

Timmy P

At the flight line I looked to see what radios other pilots nearby were using. All of them were Spektrum radios, thats what I'm using so I figured that was a good thing. I made the flight flawlessly. I picked the 1st tier with my stable Cessna 180 and scraped the bean field for the full 1 minute. So has anybody noted what controllers are nearby during a brown out? Could it be not the equipment of the pilot with the brown out, but another type of radio over powering theirs? And if I think, don't radios have a setting for different continents? I'm thinking Europeans are forced to use less power for transmitting. Could that be a factor? Or even as simple as a lower battery voltage?

I guess Ill add in my equipment. 3 years at FF with zero issues. Tx: Spektrum Dx6i Rx: AR610 (4 of them)

Battershell

My daughter and I were running Tactic radios with no problems at the far end of flight line #4 away from most of the traffic. We both had flawless flights with near perfect runway landings from our Sensei aircraft.

Is GBWR going to send out anything to the participants to show we participated and flew for the entire minute?

DharanFlyer

My daughter and I were running Tactic radios with no problems at the far end of flight line #4 away from most of the traffic. We both had flawless flights with near perfect runway landings from our Sensei aircraft.

Is GBWR going to send out anything to the participants to show we participated and flew for the entire minute?

They do not but default, but everyone who was successful for sure (possibly even just those that attempted but not 100% on that) will be able to order a certificate once the final approval has been issued by GWR. They will provide a code that I can distribute.

jakrabit

They do not but default, but everyone who was successful for sure (possibly even just those that attempted but not 100% on that) will be able to order a certificate once the final approval has been issued by GWR. They will provide a code that I can distribute.

can't wait!!!

got my FT Flyer (which flew without issue (electronics, that is) during the WR flight) signed by Chad Kapper, Josh Bixler, John Gill (my spotter) and Dan Cashman (the guy who built the FT Flyer a year ago). Can't wait for the certificate so i can hang that bad boy up and show it off.

DharanFlyer

can't wait!!!

got my FT Flyer (which flew without issue (electronics, that is) during the WR flight) signed by Chad Kapper, Josh Bixler, John Gill (my spotter) and Dan Cashman (the guy who built the FT Flyer a year ago). Can't wait for the certificate so i can hang that bad boy up and show it off.

That's really cool!

earthsciteach

can't wait!!!

Hey! You are one of Dan's friends. Would have been cool to meet up with you guys at FTFF. Please drag his butt along next year. ;)

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor

Very nice! Heh, I had to add, even if it's not directly related to the GBoWR attempt (I didn't fly), that I had put tactic receivers on my Baby Barons for the Gotha Gaggle for exactly this reason. Well, I had two extra tactic RX's that just weren't being used, so that was another reason. No issues, even though I was running it on my Taranis X9R+ with an Anylink2.

jakrabit

Hey! You are one of Dan's friends. Would have been cool to meet up with you guys at FTFF. Please drag his butt along next year. ;)

yes... i tried finding you a couple times... but, i'm a bit lazy.

whether Dan's wife lets him or not, we might just have to kidnap him and bring him with!

HilldaFlyer

Video of HilldaFlyer's World Record Flight

Here is the video of my FA-18E Super Hornet flying in the world record event.

HilldaFlyer

Thanks - The people around me were pretty vocal.
This flight was pretty interesting for me and demonstrated the gliding ability of the FA-18E Super Hornet. Turns out that the motor burned up and the last 40 seconds or so was gliding. I kept wondering why it slowed down... I kinda landed out of sequence. ;)

bitogre

I would like to know who I had a mid-air with during the attempt near the half way mark. More out of curiosity than anything else. I was flying a 2.1m FMS Fox glider on the far West side of the field (just into the soy beans by the oil pump) when I collided with a plane at least half my size. I crashed as a result but do not know what happened to the other plane (too focused on trying to get mine to recover). It was damaged but I was able to recover all parts of my plane and I think I can fix it and get it flying again.

If know who it was or, better yet, have video of my mid-air, please let me know.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I'm innocent!!! I don't care what Tim says, I know he tried to bribe me to do it, but I didn't do it!

That dent in my wing was there before . . . honest . . .

bitogre

I'm innocent!!! I don't care what Tim says, I know he tried to bribe me to do it, but I didn't do it!

That dent in my wing was there before . . . honest . . .

I would be surprised if it was you. ;) I am pretty sure what hit me was smaller than your Calypso.

HilldaFlyer

I know I creamed into somebody about 45 seconds prior to the start way up high, but since I forgot to turn on my camera, I don't have a record of it. I'm really sorry if it down'ed anyone, all I know is it was a pretty solid hit, put a nice dent my wing and creased a bit of the wing/fuselage joint. I carried on.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
So if I didn't survive the whole minute, am I still a world record holder now since I participated? Or do I get at least an attendance trophy or something? :)

I guess nobody else did their very first solo flight in an environment like this on a plane right out of the box? Can I ask the GWR guys to acknowledge that? ;)

My UMX Radian got one of its wing tips cut off by another plane and didn't survive the whole minute. Even though I was still able to circle it for a while, at some point it just spiraled to the ground. I'm not sure if it was pilot error or a lock out. I was too busy to not freak out ;).

It was an amazing experience. Let's do it again next year.

Only thing I thought needed some work was the pilot / spotter briefing. A few successfull flights were not counted, because people brought in their flags too late. They got to get their planes first. And we should've used more of the runway. There was still some space to the right.

bitogre

I know I creamed into somebody about 45 seconds prior to the start way up high, but since I forgot to turn on my camera, I don't have a record of it. I'm really sorry if it down'ed anyone, all I know is it was a pretty solid hit, put a nice dent my wing and creased a bit of the wing/fuselage joint. I carried on.

Well, that was not me as my collision was near the half way mark.

Montiey

Master Tinkerer
DSM2 and even some genuine DSMX Receivers had problems. I had a horrible link with a 4ch Spectrum receiver, but when I swapped it for a 6ch, everything was crisp (Also, the pigtails were worn out…). I saw some people running Orange, saying they had no problems, not sure if they had tried to fly at the event yet.