Flite Fest 2017: Bugatti 100P

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Well, those who were on the observation deck for my Sikorsky build at FF2015 saw me in my element, but not really in my true state. It was a fury of foam and frantic dash to complete whereas this has been methodical, thoughtful, and meticulously challenged in many aspects. THe fun part is that every build has its ups and downs. I had really wanted to get my J-22 up in the air as it is my favorite fighter. That build has been on-going for nearly three years now. It is also part of the reason why I try to share each of my builds because they inherently give insight to conquering different challenges.

I think back to a fond memory of building the Giant FT Flyer. It was such an organic experience that I believe can never be replicated. While giant builds are exciting and fun, for those who participated in that, it was more about discovering new friends and learning our strengths. I remember CraftyDan Crews telling me it had been a pleasure building with me. That was the start of so much more, for me, to contribute to this community.

I'd love to have folks in my shop to build with all the time. I'm horrible at capturing video or images. I feel like I do an adequate job since you guys get so much out of my work logs. I know I can be better at this, but I'd rather be building and not setting up the perfect shot.

All that said, there are flaws in this build. Some I have revealed, and others are for me alone to know. If I'm called on them I will openly admit them. I'm a perfectionist at heart but a realist as well.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Long afternoon and a bit picture heavy update but I think you will like the outcome. I started rubbing down the panel lines to remove the chart pak tape and discovered a boo boo. This happend the night previous when I was moving the airplane back in from the garage.
IMG_3900.JPG

Add some lightweight spackle, sand, saturate with WBPU, accelerate drying with a hair dryer, primer, accelerate cure with a hair dryer, sand, done.
IMG_3908.JPG

Next up was rivets. Using all my reference photos on a laptop nearby, I used my trusted soldering iron with a copper tube method. As there are many compound curves on the surfaces, I needed a way to manipulate and steady the tip of the iron without burning myself. A simple hemostat works well for this. I did have to cool it off with water from time to time but it worked really well with the iron in my non-dominant hand and the hemostat in my dominant hand for placement. The #11 blade is for removing plugs of primer that eventually fill up the copper tube as you go. Just clean it out and proceed as normal. Happens every 10 or so rivets.
IMG_3904.JPG

When applying these you have to have a VERY light touch. Even though there is glass and epoxy underneath, you can still burn through. I only did 5 times out of all the rivets applied. To repair, use a dab of canopy glue on the fingertip and smear it over the hole. As it dries it will leave a small recess just like you want. Pics at different angles and sections are below.
IMG_3901.JPG

IMG_3902.JPG

IMG_3903.JPG

IMG_3905.JPG

IMG_3906.JPG

Now the moment you all have been waiting for. BLUE! With a large dropcloth over the carpet, I applied paint using my airbrush. I mixed 15mL of paint with 15mL of windex. I only used 20mL for this application and the majority of this is liquid that evaporates, so not much weight applied in paint here. The Behr paint + primer provides excellent coverage on airplanes as well as walls. This photo was snapped after completing cleanup of the airbrush and is still wet in spots. Any splotches are due to wet areas as with this color, the paint gets deeper in color as it dries. Wheel wells get red paint eventually. I have acrylic that I will brush on, like the cockpit.
IMG_3910.JPG

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Not bad, for a "foamie" huh? ;) At this stage it is really difficult to tell what it is made from. It could be faom, a glass shell from a mold, or built up balsa. I love the deception.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
That is some amazing work!! It looks like a static scale model! All that detail work really makes it stand out and look absolutely fantastic! Man I wish I could see it in person, but Flite Fest is out of the question for me. Looking forward to the finish, and the next flight video.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
I know I'm one of the lucky ones who has seen this in person, but I REALLY want to see it again after all this detail work. Looking great as always

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Thanks fellas. There is always some model you want to see in-person and it also sometimes happen that you cannot. I was the "technical adviser" (more like deviation from scale critic) for a build over at RCG. My favorite airplane and it was done big and with exceptional scale detail. I've never seen it in-person. Perhaps one day, but I know the feeling.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
At this point you could probably make some silicon mold of it and make a bunch in fiberglass or stuff like that.

I will have 10 please

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
With your whole "cartwheels are a way of life" signature, I think you probably will need all ten! I would like one as well. it must be able to hit lightspeed and do the Kessel run in only 10 parsecs.

This is truly a beautiful bird. I always love forward swept wings.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
The cure out of the bottom was very good. The color evened out, as it should, and the details were kept very well.
IMG_3912.JPG

I applied paint to the top side and the details do give the subtle depth that I was after. There are still a few touch up areas left to do on the top.
IMG_3914.JPG

The overall picture.
IMG_3916.JPG

I was accused of painting this airplane Ford blue... Ugh. With the clear coat on the servo covers, you can see that the color gets deeper and will further accentuate the details.
IMG_3915.JPG

So, the last remaining touch ups need to be done and the clear coat can then be applied. Then, I can remove all the masking and start to re-assemble the pieces. From there, the wheel wells need some red paint and then we can wrap up the oleo covers. Probably another week's worth of work. Nearly to the finish line.

wilmracer

Mentor
Just beautiful work... You're SO close! You're going to need a velvet rope to keep people off of this thing at FF!

BTW... I see that goon chilling in the background :cool:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Yeah, that is the 1/6 version I started a week after FF2016. The smaller version flew but that one has not. I'm getting my old glassed one fixed up for FF this year.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
So, here is where we are now. The last few bits of blue were applied and the wheel wells were painted red. The clear coat was applied. Masking was removed. The tail cone was installed along with the canopy. Landing gear re-installed and set on her legs. Servo hatches installed as well. The battery hatch had the remaining bolt heads installed. Once the canopy glue cures out on that I can apply a clear coat on the hatch and that calls the airframe done. I tried applying the prop branding decals to a prop but because the black prop was the background, the colors did not come through. I'ill think on that and see if there is something I can do about it. I painted one of the 8x6 props for testing. Using enamel paints is great for wear and tear but it takes forever for the paint to cure out. I'm glad I went with the semi-gloss clear coat. Full gloss would have looked silly. After the last little bits I'll move on to the oleo covers. It should only take about a day for the glass to cure out. After that its a matter of cutting, finish sanding, paint works and installation.

IMG_3923.JPG

IMG_3924.JPG

I can now clearly see the finish line and it looks like a win.

wilmracer

Mentor
Thinking back on the prop decals... There are two types of water slide decal paper... clear and white. I expect if you print on the white the colors will show through just fine.

As usual this is amazing work. Can't wait to see her airborne again!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I was unaware of the white... I thought there was only clear. Have any on hand? I only need a little bit for these tiny decals.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Wow Josh. Should we start taking numbers to get to see it in person? I think there'll cetainly be a line of interested people from the forum alone. Good thing FF will last for more than a day. You will be there for more than a day, right?

I think we migt need a section on the forum for painting options and techniques. I see so much good work, Like Josh's here, and know I am not up to the task. If we get questions on the basics, how much more with finishing touches?!