Flite Fest 2017: Bugatti 100P

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Incoming photo sets.

IMG_3958.JPG IMG_3959.JPG IMG_3960.JPG IMG_3961.JPG IMG_3962.JPG IMG_3963.JPG IMG_3964.JPG IMG_3966.JPG

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
So now I am to the point where I will be looking more into the motor configuration and addressing the flaps. I'll do some run-ups and get some RPM data with the 8x6 on the front and see whats what. Maybe try the 8x7.5 as well and see what my numbers look like. If I feel the need I will look further into running the LUA script to sync the motors. I believe that I can use a mix to add some UP elevator with the flaps to try and slow her down better for landings and not have the nose pitch over so violently.

Tweaks and progress to come.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Congratulations Josh. It's a bouncing baby Bugatti, and a handsome one at that! Make sure you support it well when you hold him, check his temperature often, and definitely be careful around pets.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Yep, you've out done yourself with this one. It's officially prettier than the Sikorsky.

The instrument panel really makes the cockpit pop.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
We'll be talking about this one for quite a while. Without a doubt this is one of the finest builds I've had the pleasure of watching come together. Congrats!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
It hugz the preciouses like a child. It covets the preciouses. It must protect the preciouses !!!

Said it before this should at some point be in an aircraft museum to honor the real one RC style.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Many thanks on the additional compliments. My contact at the EAA museum was hoping I could make it up for Airventure this year to have the model on display with the original. While this would be a DREAM, it would be a VERY long trip right after FFEast and additional expense that I just do not have. I was truly humbled by the offer and consider it one of my finest moments of this model's moments. It has never been my experience to have someone from a museum to give one of my models such high praise.

I took more family time last night rather than do prop testing. Well worth it and the family seemed to appreciate the time. I know that I've missed time with my kids for brief moments while building this model so I'm trying to pay it back to them. They have been so understanding about meeting deadlines and trying to troubleshoot so many issues. The lighting was pretty good last night so I got the wife out to snap a few more pictures to capture this moment more for me. This was my favorite shot.

IMG_3983.JPG

For sure she is prettier than the Sikorsky. I did not put in nearly the time and effort for detailing. I burnt myself out really badly on the main portion of the build. For comparison... the Sikorsky was a <100 hour build. The Bugatti is about 400 hours. That is nearly a week of straight building. I confess that I did lose track of hours put in after about 150 but I've gone back through this thread to estimate the hours.

Last edited:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Looks like I'll be doing my Q&A session at FF from 11-12 on Friday. Hope you all can come and hang out. Rags to mop drool will NOT be provided. :p

Liam B

Wow, just wow. Looks even better with a coat of paint. Wish I was at East during the Q&A. You should do a Periscope for folks like me.

ztoon

Gone with the Mistral
The result is great. :applause:
It deserves a full Ft episode.
Thanks for sharing that build with us.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I've spoken to JB and we hope to try and get some coverage of the Bugatti on film. Perhaps someone can live stream the session through FB on the FT Fans page.

Did a little prop testing. I've got the telemetry logging in the radio now so I was able to easily grab plots of the two RMP sensors. Sadly, I honestly do not know which one is which motor. The interesting bit is that you can see from the image that the response is quite linear. As this was a static test, I believe the discrepancy at the high end is due to the increase in pressure differential. The 8x6 prop is substantially more thin than the 8x8R. I believe the prop is deforming as there was a notable change is sound at that RPM. I'll throw in the cut down 8x7.5 and see whats what.
19244434_10103062051556181_892435742_n.png

I still need to program in a mix for the elevators for when the flaps deploy. I also need to check the CG. It has been nice not having to push on this project and enjoy the family. I did do some major cleanup in the shop again. I need to start my preparations for FF!

FPVology

wowza.. what an amazing model. nice work man, it's just so beatuiful!

INCR.. and i hope you're hungry because the next part of that word is EDIBLE!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I wonder...... Now that you have access to the RPM information.. Seems you are pretty linear in the 9000 - 10500 range. How hard would it be to correlate that RPM to the throttle range like 1825 to 1875 as an off the cuff number and do like a limiter in the Taranis and or depending how comfortable you are with a steady speed in a repeatable pattern to do a throttle hold in that sweet spot.

Unless you are running a pid controller on the motors I think that would be an easier more viable option for matching the motors then a manual adjustment feeding off the RPM sensors. Even if it could be done automatically in the Taranis where telemetry reads the sensors and adjusts the rpm I think the constant chasing that match would be more work then the esc's and motors would be happy with at those higher rpms.

More data in actual flight would tell more most certainly but that may be an avenue to look down to be easier on the gear and mind.

Last edited:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
The issue becomes more dynamic in the air. If you listen closely to the maiden, there are times when the RPM was fairly well-matched and others when it was not. I recognize that not everyone's ears are attuned to hear this but it is audibly noticeable. This is where the sync through the telemetry would be nice. The geared setups for F3A would entirely solve this issue but I'm not paying $1100 for one. While the sync may not be ready for FF, I do plan on continually working on it until it works. I cannot believe that with the tech, there are not folks with twin (or more) engine aircraft that do not want their motors in perfect sync. This is one of the crucial steps in large aircraft.