Flite Fest East? Worth going?

Hi everyone,
I really want to attend Flite Fest East but was wondering about everyone's opinions. It is about an 8 hour drive for me. I don't have much to fly, just a rtf racing quad that isn't even tuned properly. Is it worth going all the way there? I could really use your guys opinions on if I should go and if I should buy/build anything to bring before hand. All is appreciated.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I have not had the pleasure to make it to a FF but from all the videos and posts about it I would say a huge yes.

I am sure while you are there someone will help you get that quad tuned up and going good for sure. You will probably learn a lot in the process as you will be doing it live and not reading or watching a video.

A lot of recent posts about going by repeat attendees have been along the lines of bring one maybe two things to fly and build things while you are there. Either by bringing your own electronics and doing scratch builds or by the speed build kits. Everything you need to build and fly will be there thru various vendors and I am sure there will be a ton of gear deals and promotions so that may be the place to pick up that new piece of gear you been eyeing as well.

All in all everyone says its the experience of the people that are there that makes FF the success that it is. Even non pilots have said that its a great time because of the people that go. Think of how many people here that you read their posts every day that you could potentially meet in person.

Be aware that you need to have the AMA membership to actually be able to fly. I am not sure on HAM enforcement for FPV tho as I have not seen nor heard any thing in the forums on that topic.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Is it worth it?

I fly for 10+ hours and still have to do a ~12 hour drive to Flite Fest (splitting that up for sight seeing) just to be there for the third year in a row now. I also bring my brother, wo has no interest in RC aircraft, but loved the event, the community and had so much fun two years ago, that he asked if he can come with me again this time.

So yes. If you have any chance of being there, it is absolutely worth it.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
YES!

It is the best event I have ever attended. It is an 8 hour drive for me as well. I have been fortunate enough to attend FliteFest East from the start. I plan my vacation time around attending the event now (soon to add FliteFest South).

One of the best parts is volunteering at the event. You meet people much faster and create stronger bonds (IMHO). I didn't volunteer the first year (kicking self now), as I was unsure how it would go with my young daughter attending with me. Now we both look forward to volunteering, camping, building, and flying each year.

I think one of the best aspects is the total time devotion to the hobby while at FliteFest. Normally I have time for just an hour here or there to work on a project or a few hours flying during an occasional weekend not filled with chores. At FF you are so fully immersed and surrounded by the hobby that each day ends with the most satisfying exhaustion and the exhilaration to do it again the next day.

Meeting the people in the FT community is another best of the Flite Fest event(s). It is filled with folks that have the same passion for flight as yourself. We have a range of experience from noobs to professionals but with the heart to help others grow in the hobby with us. This is what makes FF different than any other RC event I have attended.

If you have the time and means to go, do it. Make sure to find me (Aaron) and my daughter (Hannah) roaming around and say hello.

IMG_8610.JPG

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
I may be BIASED.... but i would PRRROOBBAABBLYYY say YES! hahah

As the community engagement manager here at Flite Test, I will say that even if you have NOTHING to fly and NOTHING to build... FLITE FEST would still be one of the best events you have ever attended SIMPLY BECAUSE of the PEOPLE and the ATMOSPHERE that THOSE PEOPLE create... It truly is UNLIKE anything else you will ever experience!

Hope this helps and THANKS TO ALL THE COMMUNITY members who make FF a reality!!

Blessings,
Stefan (SEE YALL SOON!!!)

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
The first rule about FliteFest East is you don't miss Flitefest East! The 2nd rule is you DO NOT miss FliteFest East EVER! The 3rd rule is see the first two rules! Drive the 8 hours, you will not regret it!!! Long live Flitefest and FliteTest

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
There could possibly be 200,000 people or more who wish they were only 8 hours away.

We took a 9 hour bus ride to Cancun and then flew to Flite Fest West. The GF has only a passing interest in what I am doing but she couldn't resist the infectious enthusiasm and genuine joy that permeates the entire event.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Yes!! I'm lucky with a 6 hour drive, but it's really a top priority for my summer and I will make every effort to be there every time.

Don't feel like you have to build/buy something new just for the event - but if you can bring a spare set of electronics for a B or C sized power pack, you'll find tons of free foam and lots of helping hands to build and fly something on site. And if you don't remember to bring electronics, don't worry - multiple vendors will be happy to sell them to you on site.

DharanFlyer

Worth it. I didn't even fly much last year, but still had a blast. Volunteering is a great thing as it both gives you something specific to do, but also you do make more friends. I personally found building there a little uncomfortable/hard so I'd bring something built if you can IMO.

earthsciteach

Worth it. I didn't even fly much last year, but still had a blast. Volunteering is a great thing as it both gives you something specific to do, but also you do make more friends. I personally found building there a little uncomfortable/hard so I'd bring something built if you can IMO.

I agree with you on building while there. I just can't focus enough while there because of wanting to just hang out with friends.

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
I agree with you on building while there. I just can't focus enough while there because of wanting to just hang out with friends.

Unless you are a super dedicated builder, taking time to build at this event can be tough. The FliteTest Community Podcast and FT BuildNites crew should be offering a build night during the event. The purpose of this is to build a specific aircraft in a "classroom" community environment. This would be something to look into if you want to build something while there.

This will be my 4th event and each year I've bring less stuff with me. Not because I don't want to fly but as earthsciteach stated above I want to hang out with my FliteFest Family and maybe get an occasional flight in between at the activities.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
The first year I attended FliteFest was 2014, for its inaugural run. I was new to the hobby and had just started building the FT Models. I felt like I wanted to experience a RC fly in / festival, but I was intimidated by the established ones, especially after watching the episode where FT went to NEATFair which is actually closer to where I live. The fact that FliteFest was geared more towards beginners was what attracted me and I was sure glad I went. I missed the second year, but I'm signed up again for this year, and (knock on wood) plan to be there in July.

I've volunteered every year I went and that was one of the most rewarding parts of it. Not only are you helping out, but a lot of times, you're learning just as much as if you were out flying or building. I've never actually built anything in the two years I've gone. At most, I've brought along three planes (first year) while last year, I only brought one. This year, I only plan to bring one (probably the same trainer style plane) and maybe I'll pick up a volunteer shift in the build tent so I can feel like I helped someone build!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Definitely volunteer - that is one of the most fun and rewarding parts of the experience and a great way to meet people - especially lots of folks who are active on the forums.

This will be my second year, and I'm planning to bring 4 planes. A night wing, my FF International Cup racer, a Baby Baron for a backup combat plane (the racer will be in the combats after the race is over :) ), and a Das Ugly stick that's the best thing I have for high winds. I'm pretty sure I'll get all of them in the air, but maybe not all on the same day - last year I brought 6 planes and only flew 3 of them.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Definitely volunteer - that is one of the most fun and rewarding parts of the experience and a great way to meet people - especially lots of folks who are active on the forums.

This will be my second year, and I'm planning to bring 4 planes. A night wing, my FF International Cup racer, a Baby Baron for a backup combat plane (the racer will be in the combats after the race is over :) ), and a Das Ugly stick that's the best thing I have for high winds. I'm pretty sure I'll get all of them in the air, but maybe not all on the same day - last year I brought 6 planes and only flew 3 of them.

What he said!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I have a 76" span scratch build of a Sikorsky S-39 amphibous airplane to prove that you CAN build something awesome at FFEast! The downside of that build was I lost the opportunity to make some new friends as I was soooo focused on the build but I LOVE to build. Having attended them all so far, Plan to find a happy balance of flying, building volunteering, and fellowshipping. PACE YOURSELF during each of these and you will have no regrets.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I think t The Kitchen pass is a GO! Early-Bird registered for everything. Will be camping on site, Planning on all days, and signed up to volunteer. This will be my first FF. Looking forward to meeting everyone! Probably bring a CX/ road bicycle along to get some exercise during the down time.... LOL! Or just get around.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I think t The Kitchen pass is a GO! Early-Bird registered for everything. Will be camping on site, Planning on all days, and signed up to volunteer. This will be my first FF. Looking forward to meeting everyone! Probably bring a CX/ road bicycle along to get some exercise during the down time.... LOL! Or just get around.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Awesome! Looking forward to meeting you! And yes - human powered wheeled transport - to carry gear or self - can feel like a really good idea by day 2 :)