Flite Fest Ohio 2018 Volunteers

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Flite Fest Ohio 2018 Volunteers Form

Well here we go folks.
2018 will mark the 5th year for the Flite Fest in Ohio.

This year we are stepping things up an extra notch as we continue to develop and improve the volunteer program.
Those details will come out shortly.

For now please sign up and stay tuned.

Thank you.

Andre.

Volunteer Duties

Entrance Greeters:
The entrance greeters are the first welcoming faces guests meet when arriving at Flite Fest.

Responsibilities:
Welcoming incoming guests, handing out literature, answering questions, and directing
guests to the parking crew.

Conditions:
This job has a mix of sun and shade.
It is mostly standing but is a single location position, where the volunteers can have a chair for resting. There may be limited walking involved.

Other Details:
Monitoring traffic congestion, field entrance conditions and any large vehicles.
Parking Crew:
The parking crew work hard. They deal with vehicle movement all day long and should exercise caution and safety at all times.

Responsibilities:
Directing guests to parking or camping sites.

Conditions:
This job involves both standing and walking for the entire shift. It is in full sun with no shade provided. This is a high activity job with lots of walking. Some vehicular access may be available.

Other Details:
Monitoring traffic congestion, field conditions and any large vehicles.

The volunteers at registration are the next line of interaction with guests at Flite Fest.
Attention to detail and gather information are critical to ensure the process conducted smooth and efficiently.

Responsibilities:
welcoming guests, utilizing a computer or a tablet to check in registrations,
answering questions, and working with money and credit cards for new/on site.

Conditions:
Almost exclusively sitting in shade.

Other Details:
Computer skills are required. Handling personal information.

Flight Line:
Flight line safety is one of our top priorities. You are our eyes and ears.
If you see something simply speak up and offer friendly advice.

Responsibilities:
Walking the length of the flight line, speaking with guests/pilots, offering
help if needed, and monitoring for safety concerns. Also volunteers in this
position will be asked for assistance with aircraft set ups, and assisting in hand
launching airplanes. It will be up to the volunteer what their comfort level is with
these requests.

Voluntary compliance is the key method for correcting unsafe
behavior if possible, if not defer to a team leader or event staff. Voluntary
compliance is a method of using information instead of threat to encourage a
positive result.

Conditions:
This job is exclusively in sun, and lots of walking.

Other Details:
If repeat issues are observed please bring them forward at the pilot meeting.

FPV Support:
FPV safety is one of our top priorities. You are our eyes and ears.
If you see something simply speak up and offer friendly advice.

Responsibilities:
Assisting the FPV event managers to ensure pilots and gear are setup and safe.
Attention to detail is key to the success of the FPV events running smoothly.

Special attention should be paid to frequency management and timing.
Technical support skills may be required but not necessary.

Conditions:
This job is exclusively in sun, and lots of walking.

Other Details:
If repeat issues are observed please bring them forward at the pilot meeting.

First Aid:
For 2016 we want to continue the run of good luck we’ve had.
That said we recognize the growing number of participants and have added some extra support and equipment.

Responsibilities:
The team leader is the primary person on site and will select an assistant with whom to switch out coverage. Responsibilities require a general knowledge of first aid, and first responder training would be highly beneficial.

Conditions:
This job is mostly an on call position.

Other Details:
To date most injuries have been very minor,
primarily small cuts or burns. Most have been handled with a Band-Aid and/or

Build Tent:
Responsibilities:
Assisting guests in the construction of aircraft, knowledge of Flite Test speed build kit techniques not required but highly recommended.
Patience and good customer relations are required.

Conditions:
This is an all shade position, with lots of standing and walking.

Other Details:
The build tents are very active and safety is very important. Encourage all participants to experience common sense.
Shuttle:
Drivers need to be focused and flexible. There is no schedule to adhere to so take your time and wait for someone when required. Caution must be displayed at all times. Flite Fest experiences a lot of distracted foot traffic.

Responsibilities:
Ability to drive a multi-passenger golf cart to
transport event guests throughout event grounds.

Conditions:
This is a job that was introduced in 2015. It was intended to be within the
event grounds but was repurposed to help move people from satellite parking
locations to the event.

Other Details:
Volunteers need to be over 18 and have a valid driver’s
license.
Family Tent:
New for 2016 is the family tent. A shaded area for parents with young children to cool of in.

Responsibilities:
Running Family Tent activities and interacting with children.

Conditions:
This is an all shade position, with a lot of standing and moving around within the tent.

Other Details:
Energy and enthusiasm is required ;)
Campsite:
The Campsite will be an active area where volunteers will be called upon to assist in parking at the beginning of the weekend. During the weekend they there to monitor ground and any issues they may arise.

Responsibilities:
Helping attendees find their campsite and various campsite jobs as needed.

Conditions:
Volunteers will primarily be working in the sun with a fair amount of walking.

Other Details:
This job is an on call position.

Miscellaneous Duties:
(Electrical/Generators/Grounds/Garbage)
The muscle team. The few brave souls I can count on to take care of the hard jobs.

Responsibilities:
There will be a need for volunteers who are able to do a variety of jobs.

Conditions:
This volunteer needs to be flexible, and willing to work where needed.

Other Details:
This would be mostly an on call position.

Last edited:

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Hey can I volunteer to help set up the event? I want to enjoy the event while it is happening but I still want to help with the set up, is this possible?

Flite Risk

I volunteered last year and had a blast, I felt they did a great job of giving people the opportunity to enjoy the event while still helping with the event.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
What all is involved in the volunteer process? Like if I wanted to volunteer in the build tent for example.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Step 1: Click the link in Andre's post at the top of this thread.
Step 2: Fill out the form.
Step 3: Be awesome!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Alright that sounds good!

EDIT: I just filled it out and noticed the set up and tear down part...

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I volunteered last year and had a blast, I felt they did a great job of giving people the opportunity to enjoy the event while still helping with the event.

Yeah, this crew is great about that.

When you volunteer don't worry about being asked to spend all your time working - it will just be a couple hours a day. Like a 3 or 4 hour shift that just flies by 'cause you're having so much fun.

As a contrast, last year I volunteered at a local science fiction convention, and was shocked and more than a little angry when they assigned people to an 8 hour shift each day and weren't even bashful or apologetic about it. Needless to say I won't be doing that again, especially with my family there.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The hardest part about volunteering for me was walking away AFTER a shift. First you meet so many cool people there and get to interact with people you talk to here in person so you hang out much longer after the commited time. Second in my case not sure about others was I had people searching me out after my shift for help so the normal shift turned into 5 to 8 or more hours. I enjoyed that alot but I missed out on all of the after sunset activities so I could recouperate from such long hours standing and such. It didnt help I caught a major cold from swampfest rain and dampness though too which really sapped any remaining energy.

I will be setting time aside for the after sunset social activities as well as time to fly a bit more then one morning before most people woke up.

DharanFlyer

Me too! Which facility are you being placed in, and how's the pudding? :p

Not much for pudding sadly. All the water you can drink and sometimes pancakes! It's a little dusty. They put down straw though when it gets muddy. Constant buzzing, or is it in my head?!