Flite Fest South East? November 2017?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Varg,

If you can camp out (not all of us can), it's the best option by far. The most rustic, for sure, but between the quiet early morning flying around a sleepy camp to the late night flying/building/hanging out/schenanegans, there will be plenty to do to wear you out. Hotelling nearby is a fair second -- still, expect to be tired as you leave late and return early -- but a glancing-blow trip misses a lot (still, way better than nothing).

The crowds do thin out around dusk as everyone wanders off in search of dinner, but right at dusk the sky will be the fullest -- calmest air with just enough light to still fly and just enough dark to put up lights. Honestly, the most magical time to fly.

After that, hang out with the rest of us, either by the bonfire, or come sit a spell with others you meet. Still plenty going on . . . just far less organized ;) Among all the cool and crazy things you'll do and see, to me, it's hanging out in the evening with folks that's the defining feature of any FF.

drnanda.nair

Varg,

If you can camp out (not all of us can), it's the best option by far. The most rustic, for sure, but between the quiet early morning flying around a sleepy camp to the late night flying/building/hanging out/schenanegans, there will be plenty to do to wear you out. Hotelling nearby is a fair second -- still, expect to be tired as you leave late and return early -- but a glancing-blow trip misses a lot (still, way better than nothing).

The crowds do thin out around dusk as everyone wanders off in search of dinner, but right at dusk the sky will be the fullest -- calmest air with just enough light to still fly and just enough dark to put up lights. Honestly, the most magical time to fly.

After that, hang out with the rest of us, either by the bonfire, or come sit a spell with others you meet. Still plenty going on . . . just far less organized ;) Among all the cool and crazy things you'll do and see, to me, it's hanging out in the evening with folks that's the defining feature of any FF.

I was thinking about renting an RV. Will there be electricity and water hookup for the RV?

Nanda

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
I was thinking about renting an RV. Will there be electricity and water hookup for the RV?

Nanda

Camping on site is most likely out in the middle of a grass field adjacent to the airstrip, so there are no hook ups. I haven't seen any suggestions yet for nearby campgrounds that would have RV hook ups.

BoostedVolvo; just what kind of boosted Volvo do you have? I used to have a Volvo 240 with a B21FT running over 20psi of boost. Now I have an E30 BMW running 14psi on the M20, which is like a 6 cylinder redblock with a much better cylinder head.

Ha! You and I will have to talk at the event. I used to have everything from a 75 242 with a b20 to a 740 with a b230f+t running 20+ psi on megasquirt. I even had a Canadian 244 with a b23e(high compression k cam motor). I then drove a 90 244 with an m47 for about 5-6 years and then a 98 v70r for 3-4 years past that. Now I’m older and boring and actually drive an electric car!

My friend Patrick who will be at the event had a 89 e30 that ran a 75 shot and megasquirt. I’m well familiar with the m20 motor. I used to follow bimmerjim on the e30 forums. Looks like we will have a lot to talk about. Will you be bringing the e30?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Oh wait... Andre will be there. Um, let me recheck my schedule. Oh would you look at that, hair appointment that I nearly forgot about. :p

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
Andre if you're going to be there I'd like to meet you, you're part of the reason I bought the durafly Excalibur and I love the after hours podcast! I think you'll like the EDF jet I'm working on which will be flying for this event as long as I have all of the parts - fingers crossed!

Ha! You and I will have to talk at the event. I used to have everything from a 75 242 with a b20 to a 740 with a b230f+t running 20+ psi on megasquirt. I even had a Canadian 244 with a b23e(high compression k cam motor). I then drove a 90 244 with an m47 for about 5-6 years and then a 98 v70r for 3-4 years past that. Now I’m older and boring and actually drive an electric car!

My friend Patrick who will be at the event had a 89 e30 that ran a 75 shot and megasquirt. I’m well familiar with the m20 motor. I used to follow bimmerjim on the e30 forums. Looks like we will have a lot to talk about. Will you be bringing the e30?

Interesting car history, I'll take electric planes for sure but I have to have an engine in my cars and motorcycles for the sound and feel alone. As for the E30 It's my only car, it'll be there and I look forward to meeting you and talking cars and planes. Look for a rough looking black E30 with a SNAFU plate on the front bumper, It'll be missing the passenger seat so I have extra room for planes, cooler, etc :cool:

Varg,

I've given thought to the camping, but I decided to book a hotel before the options thinned out too much. Couldn't go wrong with a hotel costing only a little more than a camping pass - I crave that AC and can't trust Florida to be cool in November. I only got the Saturday pass because the plan is to do one day of flite fest and one day of stuart airshow.

Last edited:

nwnugget

I've given thought to the camping, but I decided to book a hotel before the options thinned out too much. Couldn't go wrong with a hotel costing only a little more than a camping pass - I crave that AC and can't trust Florida to be cool in November. I only got the Saturday pass because the plan is to do one day of flite fest and one day of stuart airshow.

Being a Florida resident, the bugs worry me more than the temperature. Pack your bug spray and citronella candles. I should also note that fire ants are a thing down here. You WILL get stung at least once. It will sting then itch like all heck. Bring benadryl cream or pills if you are allergic.

Otherwise, sunscreen, big ole floppy hat and shades are standard.

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
I'm a native, which is why I don't trust the weather. Bugs are a good point too, but the skeeters and fire ants bug me less than heat.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
+5 on the sunscreen. I have gotten really nasty sunburns even in December!

Definitely. As always it will come down to the weather. The first of November is pretty stable, but it is on the cusp of hurricane and norther seasons.

Last edited:
Definitely. As always it will come down to the weather. The first of November is pretty stable, but it is on the cusp of hurricane and norther seasons.

That’s true. I shot this video right about the same time of the year as flite fest is going to be, so let’s hope the weather/skies are like this.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Tickets bought. I'm in! I'll have 2 FT Deltas in my suitcase and no project. Probably will volunteer.