Flite Test - Baby Blender v.2 - BUILD

rcfoamfly

Hi. I bought 3 kits. A Baby Blender, Mustang and Old Speedster. The parts ( pushrods, firewall, etc ) packs were not labelled or attached to the kits. I don't know what pack goes with what Kit!!!!!!!!. Is there any link on the website that identifies what pack goes with what kit. Alex

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
well go to the shop sight look at the descriptions and pix of the kits and separate them out according to the pictures. each kit has an inventory there.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
here hope this helps you.

Baby Blender
Kit includes:

Laser-cut foam airframe
Posterboard turtle deck and wing tip covers
Power Pod (Swappable)
Firewall
Zip tie
Push rods
Control horns
Velcro
Bar-BQ Skewers
Popsicle Sticks
Rubberbands
Coffee Stir
Data Sheet
Throw Gauge
Foam Wheels
Rod for landing gear

bblend-sbk-1.jpg

Mustang
Kit includes:

Laser-cut foam airframe
Posterboard front & back turtle deck
Power Pod (Swappable)
Firewall
Push rods
Control horns
Bar-BQ Skewers
Data Sheet
Throw Gauge
Velcro
Landing gear wire
Laser cut foam wheels
Black posterboard canopy

Old Speedster
Kit includes:

Laser-cut foam airframe
Laser-cut foam wheel pants
Front and rear posterboard turtle decks
Power Pod (Swappable)
Firewall
Push rods
Control horns
Bar-BQ Skewers
Rubber bands
Data Sheet
Velcro
Landing gear wire

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
2 solid flights today with my revised blender.

Would I let my son fly this plane? No.
It is touchy and does not like slow speeds which is to bad.
I'm going to work on that and see if I can get it down to a crawl like a friend's tiger moth.

PICT0001-poster.jpg
View from the top of the wing :)

ssteve

starting my speedbuild tonight on the BB, this will be my first 4ch plane, up from the 3 pack of swappables. Been flying multirotors a bit so not completely new to 4 channels. Where I fly is windy, and unfortunately there's no avoiding it if I plan to fly. Im wondering what motor and prop combo I should use on the BB. Here's my motor options I have laying around.

DT750
Turnigy http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=28112
turnigy http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ner_1450kv_US_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=d2822

and a whole slew of slow fly props from 8" to 12"

Im tempted to go with the 2822 1450kv and a 8x4 or 8x6, but maybe I would be better off starting with the dt750 and a 10x4?

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
starting my speedbuild tonight on the BB, this will be my first 4ch plane, up from the 3 pack of swappables. Been flying multirotors a bit so not completely new to 4 channels. Where I fly is windy, and unfortunately there's no avoiding it if I plan to fly. Im wondering what motor and prop combo I should use on the BB. Here's my motor options I have laying around.

DT750
Turnigy http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=28112
turnigy http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ner_1450kv_US_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=d2822

and a whole slew of slow fly props from 8" to 12"

Im tempted to go with the 2822 1450kv and a 8x4 or 8x6, but maybe I would be better off starting with the dt750 and a 10x4?

I flew mine with the 2822 1450kv with an 8x6, then swithed to a wood 8x4 and loved it. I was using a 1300mah 3s, I would probably go with a larger battery, but it is not necessary.

ssteve

I have a bunch of 2200mah 3s I was planning on using. I'll set the 2822 up on the bb then and try different props. That should work well as I'm building a cruiser also and had intended to use the d3530's for that.

adilshabbir

need help for electronics -my first build

hi

i am new to this hobby and baby blender is my first plane , my build weight with electronics and battery came to 1 KG,

using below electronics

Motor: KV 1400 brushless motor , Power: 160W, http://www.rcbazaar.com/products/2402-avionic-c282225-kv-1400-brushless-motor.aspx
ESC: 20 amp
PROP:9*4.7 sf and
Battery : 3s : 1500 mah,

can anybody can suggest me its safe to fly with above electronic ???

some-more-model-only-need-to-put-electronics

video:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152544656219031&l=5651270967868891059

Taming the Wild Baby Blender with Dihedral: Ver. 2

Following my earlier post ("Baby Blender Wings with Dihedral," # 44, dated 14 June 2013), I experimented again with dihedral wings. I always liked the look of the Baby Blender but also found her to be a handful in the air with the original Flitetest wings.

This version 2 of the dihedral wings includes the undercambered wing tips used by Flitetest in the FT Spitfire and other, later, Swappable Series planes.

5015.jpg 5018.jpg 5021.jpg

PDF plans are linked below. Top and bottom wing shapes are the same. Cut-outs are black boxes. Where cut-outs differ between the 2 wings, I have included text notes so indicating. Only the bottom wing needs to have ailerons cut.

View attachment BB_Mk_II_wings_w_dihedral.pdf

The wing is also slightly larger, with dimensions of:

Wing span: 29.5 inches (749.3 mm)
Wing chord: 7.75 inches (196.9 mm)
Wing area: 288.6 in2 (14.7553 dm2)
Wing loading: 16.8 oz/ft2 @ an AUW of 26.6 oz (51 g/dm2 @ 754g)​

Center of gravity (CG) remained the same as that marked on the original Flitetest Baby Blender V.2 plans. Attaching the bottom wing to the fuselage did not change from the original Flitetest plans, and you use the same interplane struts from the original plans to connect the top wing to the bottom wing.

5016.jpg

Flight characteristics were much more stable with the dihedral, larger wing area and lower wing loading, helping tame what I found to be a squirrelly Baby Blender while still allowing it to be a very aerobatic airplane.

5017.jpg

I would be interested in hearing from others who give this wing a try about your experiences and observations.

laury415

808aerosquadron, great job on redesigning the wing. I've made a BBV2 a while ago but like you thought it was a little squirrely. I've been debating making another one. With this wing mod I"m definitely more interested in trying the BB again.

Last edited:

F1xR

Hi guys, I'm new to scratch building and have a quick question. What is the thickness of the poster board you guys use for this build?
I am from South Africa so I have to go looking for the right material as everything here has a different name.

Corbarrad

Hi guys, I'm new to scratch building and have a quick question. What is the thickness of the poster board you guys use for this build?
I am from South Africa so I have to go looking for the right material as everything here has a different name.

Poster board is just slightly thicker paper, really, sometimes comes with one side clearcote to give a glossy surface.

The main constituent of flite test planes is Dollar Tree Foam Board, though. Sometimes it's called Elmers Readiboard, so that's a brand name you could go looking for. Basically it's a core of extruded polystyrene laminated with paper on both sides. The total thickness of the stuff the flite test guys use is somewhere around 4.7mm, but 5mm should do just fine as well without the need to alter the plans.

As long as the core is polystyrene foam and not polyurethane you should be ok in the weight department as well.

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor

about .28mm or 11 to 12 thousandths of an inch.

808aerosquadron, great job on redesigning the wing. I've made a BBV2 a while ago but like you thought it was a little squirrely. I've been debating making another one. With this wing mod I"m definitely more interested in trying the BB again.

laury415, thank you.

If you build a BB with this wing design, I would be very interested in hearing how she flies.

F1xR,

If you are talking about the foam board, be advised that not all foam boards are alike. Weight is the big issue, as noted in apnewton's article "Foamboard in Australia ( http://flitetest.com/articles/foamboard-in-australia )" and other articles in Flitetest.

We cannot get Adam's foam board here in Hawaii and our substitutes are heavier than that used by Flitetest. This usually means we have to use a larger, more powerful motor as the Flitetest recommended motors are too weak. The motor used in the BB, above, is a Turnigy D2836/9 950kv motor, which works very well. The Turnigy D2836/8 1100 kv motor also works well and Experimental Airlines did a good review of it on YouTube.

Hope this helps.

Team_Monkey

I've had this kit since fall of 2013 and just never got around to building it. :confused:
It is just a stock speed build kit using a EMAX CF2822/1200RPM (approx. 39g) motor and it balances perfectly using a 1000mAh 3S. I flew the maiden with an 11x4.7 but have since dropped to a 10x4.7 so I don't overload the motor.
Facebook picture

Others have said the little Blender was twitchy but I found it to be a stable and easy flier. I'm actually tempted to add a servo to the upper wing to increase the roll response. Of course I'm not a new pilot, but the little bipe doesn't have to be scary. :p

Jbing

One small addition

I really like the Baby Blender design, but honestly the front of the fuse looks like a mailbox. I finished framing up my attempt at scratching one of these out, and I decided to add a ring cowl to the design. It attaches with velcro and shouldn't block airflow through the front end. It does change the looks. Hopefully I can come up with a paint scheme to go with it.

Attachments

• ring cowl a.jpeg
    ring cowl a.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 15
  • ring cowl 2a.jpeg
    ring cowl 2a.jpeg
    208.4 KB · Views: 13
  • ring cowl 3a.jpeg
    ring cowl 3a.jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 11