Flite Test - Baby Blender v.2 - BUILD

poplharris

How did you do the stripes? I love that look!

The strips I done with a 1" foam brush. That effect you see in the paint is just how it turns out on blue fff with the "skin" on. It looks kinda messed up but I grew to like the look also. The paw prints were done by our cat Bonkos.
thanks

Last edited:

ScrewLooseSurfer

ScrewLooseSurfer, amazing work! I know what paint job im doing next!

thank you! just wait till my next one. it will be a moded spitfire to look like this

6mUhl8Y.jpg

i have left over paint haha

Baby Blender Second Flight

This little plane is stupid fun!! I didn't wait for a calm day to maiden. Unfortunately, all I had with me was my iPhone, so it's a really crappy video. I think my rates are quite a bit higher than the recommended high rates, but that makes it fun. I put in about 40% expo and that really makes it manageable while I still have high throws for big maneuvers. I only built it so my 6 yr old would quit bugging me to build a biplane. After about one minute of flight, he lost interest. This video is the second flight. It's my 10 yr old running my iPhone.

N222NY

Hi guys! I just wanted to share my Red Baron scheme of the Baby Blender version 2. A couple more steps to go! Can't wait to get her in the air!

red.jpg

Flynn

Hey guys. I usually run a 2200mah in my BB. I've wanted to run a 10 or 11" prop. So today I tried an Exceed Optima 400 Brushless Motor 2215-1050KV that I had lying around. It flew nice with a 10x5 prop and I was able to cruise around even with some 5-10 mph winds.

Happy flyin'

daniel_t

I assembled and attached my top wing today. I didn't notice until after I put everything away that my top wing is offset from my bottom wing by an eighth of an inch or so. Is that going to be okay, or do I need to add something to straighten it?

Flynn

I assembled and attached my top wing today. I didn't notice until after I put everything away that my top wing is offset from my bottom wing by an eighth of an inch or so. Is that going to be okay, or do I need to add something to straighten it?

I think you'll be ok. Its winter tho, if it bugs you, you can always build another set of wings.

i planing on building this plan using this Equipment:
TURNIGY D2826-6 2200kv Outrunner Motor
HobbyKing Red Brick 50A ESC
Turnigy 1300mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack
8x4.5 SF Props
and the HXT900 Micro Servos
my main concern is the motor and the prop. what are you saying? will it be ok? (too heavy?/too weak?)

I don't know if I would run that motor with that prop. The specs say you should use a 5x5 on 3s. You might want to try something in the 900kv - 1400kv range with an 8x4 prop. just my 2 cents

david_isr

Basically this is the motor i want...so what prop do i need with this motor that will be ok with the baby blender?
(can you give me a link? HK has too much props im a bit confused lol)

Last edited:

daniel_t

david_isr: I put your stats in http://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc.htm?ecalc&lang=en and it shows a thrust to weight of 1.51 : 1. It shows problems if you go with a bigger prop or a prop with much more pitch than that. As it is, the calculator predicts that your engine will run up to 171°F (with medium motor cooling) which is pretty warm. The load on the battery is only 20.22 C so you are fine there. Just make sure your motor has lots of ventilation.

Oddly, when I put a 5x5 prop in, the prop recommended for the motor, the calculator says, "The airflow at the propeller blade will stall. Therefore the static thrust and max. current may not be reached. On ground you will measure *Stall Thrust* as maximum." and thrust to weight drops to 0.39 : 1.

WARNING: I'M A NOOB AT ALL THIS. I'M JUST TELLING YOU WHAT THE CALCULATOR SAYS.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
David,

That is a nice motor but probably not best for this application. The high kV number means it will want to spin whatever prop you install at pretty extreme speeds. On a small prop, that's no issue, but for this setup the nose of the BB will eat most of the prop wash, wasting your thrust. Most airframes using this motor will be pushers (no fuesalage eating thrust) or airframes with narrow, streamlined noses.

That being said, *** if you must use this motor *** HK specs a 5x5 prop, and several commenters say they're running larger props, but nothing near an 8x6. ecalc will also assume that you're flying WOT(wide open throttle). You could easily use the 5x5, but only go WOT if you need it.

Fly a short flight and see if the motor has gotten hot (not just warm). If it is, under-propping the motor won't help -- replace it now before you burn it out and can't use it on another airframe. You'll want to get a slower motor with a longer prop for that airframe, and save this for something like a Versa or FT22.

david_isr

David,

That is a nice motor but probably not best for this application. The high kV number means it will want to spin whatever prop you install at pretty extreme speeds. On a small prop, that's no issue, but for this setup the nose of the BB will eat most of the prop wash, wasting your thrust. Most airframes using this motor will be pushers (no fuesalage eating thrust) or airframes with narrow, streamlined noses.

That being said, *** if you must use this motor *** HK specs a 5x5 prop, and several commenters say they're running larger props, but nothing near an 8x6. ecalc will also assume that you're flying WOT(wide open throttle). You could easily use the 5x5, but only go WOT if you need it.

Fly a short flight and see if the motor has gotten hot (not just warm). If it is, under-propping the motor won't help -- replace it now before you burn it out and can't use it on another airframe. You'll want to get a slower motor with a longer prop for that airframe, and save this for something like a Versa or FT22.

thx for the help!
i cant say i "must" use this motor...just its cheap and i thought the "over-kill" will be good for future plans..
so beside the NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26A 1200kv that is a bit expensive for me,what other motors do you recommend for the BB ?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
NTMs are nice motors, but I agree, a bit expensive in comparison (Keep in mind a similar motor from more estabilshed brands would be in the $50-60 range, so it's still a really good price for the quality, but the Customer service is slow at this price)

The field of "good" motors is pretty wide, but from your past choice, I'd recommend taking a look at it's bigger brother -- the D2830-11 1000kv motor

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__12921__D2830_11_1000kv_Brushless_Motor.html

It's a touch heavier and about the same price, but much slower. It should easily throw an 8x4 for a lower max airspeed and far higher thrust, which will make the BB a more enjoyable experience.