flite test coroplast

Camper

I'd like to see how the FT plans transfer to coroplast. The local HD has 4x8 sheets in store for $22. Would certainly be a more durable wing and stabilizer surface.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Looking at the modifications and successes from our friends in the UK, Australia, and other parts of the world that only have access to the heavier foam board should give some solid ideas on how to deal with the extra weight of coroplast.

DKchris

Nah. Just make'm 50%-100% bigger and put on one of those gasser engines they are currently starting out with. Coro is impervious to glow fuel and gasoline, and very resilient with regard to vibrations, so it's makes neat combination. Bit tricky to glue, though.

Webdragon

thats my plan exactly, once i figure out the scaling i want to scale a ft spitfire up to a 47 inch wingspan and power it with a .52 size nitro engine.

DKchris

thats my plan exactly, once i figure out the scaling i want to scale a ft spitfire up to a 47 inch wingspan and power it with a .52 size nitro engine.

First step of scaling is fairly simple: get the "Full" drawing (not the tiled one), open it in adobe reader IX or newer, open the print window, select your printer page size and the poster function and set your scale percentage, then adobe reader will create tiled pages in that size. simple and easy.
Then the difficult part comes, which is going through if any of the parts will not fit each other with the changed material thickness. Things may be too wide, or openings be too large. Takes a bit of 3-dimensional thinking, or, in some cases, like the wing cutouts, simply the approach to leave the cut lines uncut on the fuse sides until you have built a wing, and then transfer the final size to the fuse sides before building the fuse.( Do remember the wing narrows a lot towards the tip, the hole needs to be smaller than the wing root to fit snugly. I made a 130% size Depron one......you may guess one time how I know).
Another detail is how to make a proper size and strength spar for the wing.

I'm a bit concerned that a 47" span plane might be a bit small for a .52 engine? 2 or 4 stroke? If it's a 4-stroke it might work out, but I'd feel a span around 52-55" or so would fit better. If it's a 2-stroke, my gut feeling is 60" or thereabouts should be the right size.
But AUW is a big factor. And whether you like it to be "ballistic" or more scale-ish naturally also.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The larger the model, (scaling up the FB plans), the lower the weight per unit of volume! This assumes that you do not double skin the outer surfaces. If you know the weight of the coroplast per unit of area and the weight of the original FB per unit area you should be able to determine at what scale the wing loading is the same as the original design.

Subject to the additional weight due to wing spars and other reinforcing then you should be able to determine the best scale foe plane performance. Be aware that as the plane is scaled up in size the wing will become more efficient because the air does not scale and as size increases the Reynolds numbers for the wing profile also increase.

This scaling assumes that the material to be used does have adequate structural strength for the project.

Just a few OLD GUYS thoughts!

Have fun!

degriz

I would like to see the flite test guys take on building coroplast planes.
like any of these. http://www.spadtothebone.net/. oh an no cheating an building a pizza box, their too easy

I built this one from FT plans about 3 years ago, flys great and holds up well. Used 2mm coro and it handles much like the foam version.

Attachments

• corospit.jpg
    corospit.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 0