Flitetest TEXAS

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Rimmy, I didn't mean to ignore your post. It wasn't there when I posted mine, I don't know why. I always appreciate safety concerns. "It's all fun and games until someone puts your eye out." Both the first and last Americans to die in Desert Storm died by accident as I recall, though that may have just been the rumor mill.

Regardless, that was an awesome, spot on landing, that as you say, should have happened farther out.

JTarmstr

Elite member
Rimmy, I didn't mean to ignore your post. It wasn't there when I posted mine, I don't know why. I always appreciate safety concerns. "It's all fun and games until someone puts your eye out." Both the first and last Americans to die in Desert Storm died by accident as I recall, though that may have just been the rumor mill.

Regardless, that was an awesome, spot on landing, that as you say, should have happened farther out.

i just want to point out that he was on approach to land about 15-20 feet out on the field and got blown around by the wind (at 4:44 it looks like the wind blew him up and to the right when he wanted to set down). I think Nick made the smart call and killed the throttle and set it down rather than try to power out of it. Being hit by an airplane wont kill you at that speed when the throttles dead, but with that wind if he had given it power it could have been far more dangerous.

Rimmy

Totally agree. I just wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't mention it that's all. Absolutely nothing against Nick his piloting or you know I knew the conditions were windy nothing like that at all just had to throw it out there.

JTarmstr

Elite member
Totally agree. I just wouldn't be doing my job if I didn't mention it that's all. Absolutely nothing against Nick his piloting or you know I knew the conditions were windy nothing like that at all just had to throw it out there.

I understand, I was just pointing out, that it was a tough split second decision for him to make and the winds weren't exactly playing along.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
As silly fun as that looks, the safety guy in me cringed heavily. shoulda put it on the field.
Yeah, as I was the guy launching in this video AND I was the flight line safety guy... I have to say this was sketchy. HOWEVER, this airplane does not weight nearly as much as you might think. Combine that with Nic's brake programmed into the ESC and this becomes a much less dramatic safety concern. The wind was really gusting, as I'm sure you could tell, and that ground effect was in full force.

HilldaFlyer

Thanks BridgeInspector... You inspired me... I'm in the middle of editing my FFTX overview video. I have a whole bunch of random clips and stills. Should be fun when I'm done. Man, video editing is not my gig, it takes a lot of time but is fun to see the end result. After seeing myself recorded, boy, I have a deepend respect for people who can record themselves doing something while talking and actually sound intelligent. I'm amazed that when I'm flying I'll begin saying something and stop mid sentence because my brain can think of the word to use while flying. Ah.... Anyway, good job.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Yeah, as I was the guy launching in this video AND I was the flight line safety guy... I have to say this was sketchy. HOWEVER, this airplane does not weight nearly as much as you might think. Combine that with Nic's brake programmed into the ESC and this becomes a much less dramatic safety concern. The wind was really gusting, as I'm sure you could tell, and that ground effect was in full force.

And the ground speed was near zero.

PoorManRC

Master member
And the ground speed was near zero.

Possibly the safest aspect of Foam Core Board Aircraft... A LACK of inertia!!
Don't get me wrong, one of those hitting someone at about 80mph WILL hurt someone! But, Nick had her under control, despite conditions, with a speed that was very manageable, and as safe as he could have made it.
KUDOS for saving that big, Beautiful Bird!!! (y)(y)

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Here is my summary vid of FliteFest Texas 2018.
Enjoy!

"I'm ready for my closeup Mr. Demille." Nice job. Dude! I never connected you with your forum handle. Would have loved to talk to you about your big prop-slot jets. Oh well. Something for next time.

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
VERY COOL!!!
I really wish I could have gone. :cry: Hopefully, they'll be another one next Year.... maybe closer to Phoenix! (PERFECT Winter Weather, LIGHT breezes, LOTS of lodging, low cost.... LOTS of unrestricted, Wide Open Airspace!!) ;)
Just Sayin'

Wasn't that a large bit of Wind to be flying Foamies in??? :eek:
That Poor Biplane at the beginning... That was a beautiful Flying Fortress, doing a nose plant soon after. o_O:cautious:

I KNOW that wasn't the point though. Looked like a bunch of great Guys, getting together having a great time and making memories with "toys"!! :cool::giggle:
Definitely looks like something I would Love to be a part of. I'm really hoping that money comes back into my life, so I can do awesome things like that!