Floats for the Sporster

GBrat

Anyone put floats on a Sporster? The Sporster was my first FT build and has been sitting collecting dust for a year as I didn’t love the way it handled in the ground making take offs and landings pretty crazy. Looking for plans or tips for mounting them.

Tench745

Master member
I imagine you could steal the floats from the Simple Cub and just copy that two-slot style of mounting as well.
What did your sportster do that was un-endearing? Depending on the behavior, I doubt putting it on floats will make it behave any better.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Anyone put floats on a Sporster? The Sporster was my first FT build and has been sitting collecting dust for a year as I didn’t love the way it handled in the ground making take offs and landings pretty crazy. Looking for plans or tips for mounting them.

The Sportster flys much better without gear as a hand launch/belley landing aircraft. In fact it is amazing without gear. Pretty much a 3d bird with a bigger motor like my setup.

GBrat

I found that it really liked to tail loop on the ground so take offs were never pretty. It flew well otherwise, just a little slow on the C pack.

Tench745

Master member
I'm not familiar with a tail loop. Do you mean "ground loop"?
If so, holding up elevator to keep the tail planted increases drag on the tail skid helping track straighter. Once you get up enough speed to have good steering you can let off on the elevator so the plane doesn't climb straight into a stall, then just takeoff like normal.