FOOD!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Some of those plates look 5-star food-sexy.

So I didn't realize it until moving to NC 5 yrs ago, but I am a sandwich snob. I grew up in CT and lived in the Philadelphia area for 20 yrs during and after college. This is the land of the Subway/Hero/Hoagie.

I Revel in making a SANDWICH. a REAL sandwich.

I have learned to make bread just so if I have a strong need for the quality bread, I can get the right stuff guaranteed.

The Bread is critical. Medium density with a good crumb. (finding non-wonder bread in a restaurant here is very hard) I tend to lean to a french bread or stiff potato bread. I prefer a mom-and-pop or Jewish deli meat. (Boar's Head works for sure and is findable down here.) Then yo have to have the proper mix of Meat cheese, and lettuce with the right condiment depending on the sandwich. That makes a good sandwich. Add a healthy thick-cut slice or two of ripe beefsteak tomato to bring it from good to Damn! the ripe tomato does it. I buy store and sit i on the south facing sill for two days and wham - ripe. slice it and get ready.

I don't think I have a sandwich picture around to share. I have been asked by my son's teachers if I made his sandwiches, because they wish someone made them a sandwich like that every day. It was then I realized I was a snob and appreciated if not by my son (yet).

The movie Chef. The scene where he make himself a sandwich from scratch makes me think of what others must think of me, while I make my sammich. :)

@rockyboy - dead right. I'm sure our parents remember different(all the stress of providing), but for us kids, it's all good fun time to miss and cherish.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I find as I get older that the times I remember most fondly were some of the hardest days of my life.

I think living well isn't about having money but about overcoming challenges and the lift of emotions we get by overcoming challenges is in direct proportion to the difficulty of the challenge.

It's why I am here, because flight is hard but doable. I soar along with my craft.

Now I just gotta figure out how to make edible planes so I can feel great about the challenge and the full belly all at once! :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Now I just gotta figure out how to make edible planes so I can feel great about the challenge and the full belly all at once! :)

I can see it at the field now..

"HEY - who the heck ate my rudder?? I was only gone for a minute to get a fresh battery!" :p

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I am a sandwich snob. I grew up in CT and lived in the Philadelphia area for 20 yrs during and after college. This is the land of the Subway/Hero/Hoagie.

Can ya still hear the WHOOSH of the cheese and smell the peppers n onions of the street carts making them cheese steaks?
I remember standing in front of Vet stadium before the Phillies games waiting in line to get one when my uncle took me along to a game. Later when I grew up I used to hit front street to get one while I was at work fixin broken pay phones.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Speaking of an airplane made of food, Peter Sripol already did that, I can't link to youtube through my school computer though...

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Some of those plates look 5-star food-sexy.

So I didn't realize it until moving to NC 5 yrs ago, but I am a sandwich snob. I grew up in CT and lived in the Philadelphia area for 20 yrs during and after college. This is the land of the Subway/Hero/Hoagie.

I have learned to make bread just so if I have a strong need for the quality bread, I can get the right stuff guaranteed.

The Bread is critical. Medium density with a good crumb. (finding non-wonder bread in a restaurant here is very hard) I tend to lean to a french bread or stiff potato bread. I prefer a mom-and-pop or Jewish deli meat. (Boar's Head works for sure and is findable down here.) Then yo have to have the proper mix of Meat cheese, and lettuce with the right condiment depending on the sandwich. That makes a good sandwich. Add a healthy thick-cut slice or two of ripe beefsteak tomato to bring it from good to Damn! the ripe tomato does it. I buy store and sit i on the south facing sill for two days and wham - ripe. slice it and get ready.

I don't think I have a sandwich picture around to share. I have been asked by my son's teachers if I made his sandwiches, because they wish someone made them a sandwich like that every day. It was then I realized I was a snob and appreciated if not by my son (yet).

The movie Chef. The scene where he make himself a sandwich from scratch makes me think of what others must think of me, while I make my sammich. :)

@rockyboy - dead right. I'm sure our parents remember different(all the stress of providing), but for us kids, it's all good fun time to miss and cherish.

I can't disagree with you on the sub/hoagie sandwiches - there's a certain type of roll/bread that you want for most deli style sandwiches. But I have certain sandwiches that I just gotta have certain bread for. Hot pastrami on rye, or corned beef on rye; and for the Thanksgiving turkey leftovers, with the chunks of turkey, I gotta have it on a good sour sourdough bread, like a San Francisco Sourdough. Don't get me wrong; I LOVE the type of bread you're suggesting for something like a muffaletta or po' boy sandwich, or even my other deli sandwiches, with things like capicola, mortadella, salami, pepperoni, maybe some provolone or swiss (my cheese selection varies by my mood; there's no "wrong" cheese, but there's a "right" cheese for that sandwich, on that particular day, if that makes any sense).

Oh, and since you're from Philly, you probably understand the phrase, "With Wiz, or without?" It may be goopy, runny, and messy, but a philly cheesesteak without Wiz is some sort of blasphemy. My wife didn't understand that when I took her to a sandwich shop run by a guy from Philly, who was going for the authentic Philly experience. He asked her the "Wiz" question, and with his accent, it came out "Choo want it wit' Wiz, oh widout?" The look on her face was priceless. :)

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Growing up in rural Montana, we just went for a drive early in the morning to a favorite sage covered meadow area near water and went out looking for the pheasants and the grouse. This whole concept of 'released birds' and paying for access to an organized location is strange to me :p

Authenticity snob! :rolleyes:

Here's an authentic one from my experience. True exchange while fishing a central Florida phosphate pit.

Me: (pointing) Wow! Look at the size of that alligator!

Friend: I don't see any alligator.

Me: Do you see that little island over there?

Friend: Yeah?

Me: The alligator IS the island!

Friend: Whoa! Let's go closer!

Me: Let's not. He's bigger than our boat.

It was a 13-14 footer stretched from one end of a sandbar to the other.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Mentor
@cranialrectosis Remember this one?

One of my very favorites! I have a birthday coming up and have shown this one to my wife and am hoping. :)

Love the gator story.

I remember being out on a picnic with my parents when I was young and running into 3 young black bears each about the size of a small dog cavorting in the forest near a waterfall and pool we liked to go to. I was young and wanted to go and see because they were cute and fuzzy and looked to be having a ball. Mom and dad said, no, picked up our food in a heartbeat and we were hiking out with our half eaten lunch.

All the more reason to create flying food IMO!

Our oven blew up on Valentines Day. We celebrate our anniversary on Valentines and she was mortified that dinner didn't work out. Anyway, we got the oven fixed and she presented me with this last night.

This is a flank steak marinated in a Sesame and Soy-scallion marinade, grilled by your's truly to be medium rare in the middle with a char on the edges and then topped with a sesame sauce, ginger, and scallions from the garden.

P6200008.JPG

Spinach and pear salad with roasted pecans and bleu cheese crumbles. No blueberries or raspberries today because they are hard to get at this time of year. She has a homemade vinaigrette to top it.

P6200005.JPG

When we were done and I was clearing the table, to my utter surprise she produced this from the oven.

P6200009.JPG

In all honesty, I believe that if my wife ever got into building flying toys she would put us all to shame.

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Maybe we need to have a food tent between the build tents.

Flying food? That's been something I've been wanting to see for a while. Key the flashback sequence...
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?662-The-Edible-Flyer

Another idea might be making a FT Recipe Booklet. We could make it into a contest since we like those so much and the tastiest entries become actual recipes that could be produced in a nice looking booklet and sold, donating the money for some good cause.

I don't mind volunteering as a judge but I pretty much like everything.

Last edited:

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I would love to volunteer as a judge! I’ll eat just about anything, as long as it’s not incredibly spicy.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
One of my very favorites! I have a birthday coming up and have shown this one to my wife and am hoping. :)

Love the gator story.

I remember being out on a picnic with my parents when I was young and running into 3 young black bears each about the size of a small dog cavorting in the forest near a waterfall and pool we liked to go to. I was young and wanted to go and see because they were cute and fuzzy and looked to be having a ball. Mom and dad said, no, picked up our food in a heartbeat and we were hiking out with our half eaten lunch.

All the more reason to create flying food IMO!

Our oven blew up on Valentines Day. We celebrate our anniversary on Valentines and she was mortified that dinner didn't work out. Anyway, we got the oven fixed and she presented me with this last night.

This is a flank steak marinated in a Sesame and Soy-scallion marinade, grilled by your's truly to be medium rare in the middle with a char on the edges and then topped with a sesame sauce, ginger, and scallions from the garden.

Spinach and pear salad with roasted pecans and bleu cheese crumbles. No blueberries or raspberries today because they are hard to get at this time of year. She has a homemade vinaigrette to top it.

When we were done and I was clearing the table, to my utter surprise she produced this from the oven.

In all honesty, I believe that if my wife ever got into building flying toys she would put us all to shame.

Looking good! Never had japanese whiskey although I've read about it. Partial to the Balvenie and Macallan 12's myself. The movie "The Change-Up" has one of the most ridiculous lines ever about whiskey. The woman, a paralegal, says no to the wine in a restaurant. "Macallan 25 and keep 'em coming." Right. That's over $300 a bottle at the liquor store. A double Macallan 18 is about $70 at a bar in Vegas.

Liked you bear cub story. My oldest daughter once saw a cub on one of her hiking trips. She would absolutely lose her mind over 3 of the things.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Dear robobob, how do you make your food look so good?

There seems to be a knack for taking good food photos. Got any tips?

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Can ya still hear the WHOOSH of the cheese and smell the peppers n onions of the street carts making them cheese steaks?
I remember standing in front of Vet stadium before the Phillies games waiting in line to get one when my uncle took me along to a game. Later when I grew up I used to hit front street to get one while I was at work fixin broken pay phones.

Great memory. It's tough to explain to everyone about the difference in their idea of a good sandwich, and what we know is a sandwich worth eating.

I can't disagree with you on the sub/hoagie sandwiches - there's a certain type of roll/bread that you want for most deli style sandwiches. But I have certain sandwiches that I just gotta have certain bread for. Hot pastrami on rye, or corned beef on rye; and for the Thanksgiving turkey leftovers, with the chunks of turkey, I gotta have it on a good sour sourdough bread, like a San Francisco Sourdough. Don't get me wrong; I LOVE the type of bread you're suggesting for something like a muffaletta or po' boy sandwich, or even my other deli sandwiches, with things like capicola, mortadella, salami, pepperoni, maybe some provolone or swiss (my cheese selection varies by my mood; there's no "wrong" cheese, but there's a "right" cheese for that sandwich, on that particular day, if that makes any sense).

Oh, and since you're from Philly, you probably understand the phrase, "With Wiz, or without?" It may be goopy, runny, and messy, but a philly cheesesteak without Wiz is some sort of blasphemy. My wife didn't understand that when I took her to a sandwich shop run by a guy from Philly, who was going for the authentic Philly experience. He asked her the "Wiz" question, and with his accent, it came out "Choo want it wit' Wiz, oh widout?" The look on her face was priceless. :)

you got the phrase perfect "choo want wit' Wiz or widout" (of course.). I had three friends visiting from CT who disregarded my primer on how to order their steaks and two of them blew it (asking for Swiss or plain). Fortunately I ordered an extra for them to split and know why I was adamant about ordering the wiz. The both thanked me after a bite and devoured their halves.

I'm with you about the Bread type. the right kinds and flavor for the right sandwich. There is just a stark absence of quality bread at most restaurants here is all.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
New Orleans style po-boys are pretty good too. I like the roast beef with gravy. Also a fried oyster po-boy with tartar sauce in the place of mayo.

robobob

Dear robobob, how do you make your food look so good?

There seems to be a knack for taking good food photos. Got any tips?

To be honest I'd just put it down to a little time and effort, combined with some practice, but here's what I would consider some general tips for culinary presentation.

When deciding what to cook, think about available colours, and what different ingredients you could place creatively. Just generally take some time to think about how you want to plate everything up either before you've cooked it or while it's cooking.

The other main bit of advice is, just take care when serving things up. The reality is, whatever you're serving likely won't go cold in the little bit of extra time you take to place things neatly and delicately.

I guess from a photography perspective, personally, I like bright light, and I make an effort to avoid shadows over what I'm trying to take a picture of wherever possible.

This is just my two cents on the matter really....
I hope it offers some help, because I'm not by any standards a trained chef, but if you do plate up any masterpieces, I'd love to see!

robobob

Another idea might be making a FT Recipe Booklet. We could make it into a contest since we like those so much and the tastiest entries become actual recipes that could be produced in a nice looking booklet and sold, donating the money for some good cause.

I'd absolutely love to try contribute to a recipe booklet! If you're making one of those, please let me know somehow, and count me in!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Lol and I went to a pig roast yesterday and had a ton of fun eating as much as I wanted for a whole day. Also, fresh pork is the best pork.
1F9C7F04-8F7D-4431-B5B5-B1E120AB77A5.png
Here is the pig at the end of the night, we took the rest of the carcas home so nothing went to waste.
379B1090-33D1-40C8-AC21-64117972B75E.png
If you have not been to a pig roast I highly recommend it it is awesome!