Fostering a spirit of community in the forums

randyrls

Randy
I've noticed that it is rare for people to use their actual names on the forums. I always use my real name on the forums I frequent. It helps to foster a sense of friendship and goodwill.

What are your thoughts on this?

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Building and flying copters and foamies is not universally accepted. It is legal (for now) in most parts of the world but there is a lot of government interest and that is scary for some people.

I am in Colorado Springs where throwing/flying anything at all in a local park is illegal. There is no place to fly here unless you own private property and even that is under attack by local, state and federal government.

It is legal for me to build and fly in my own backyard but I really don't want to draw attention to it in this political climate.

We have folks here from all over the world including places where the law is even less friendly to hobbyists.

Use your real name where and when it is safe to do so.

For all other places such as North Korea or on the internet, fly, be free; use an alias, don't show video or photos that can identify yourself, and use VPN to mask your IP. :)

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Everyone has their reasons for who they present themselves as online. I find part of the fun is seeing the unique ways people present themselves in a round about pun on their name, to a complete off the wall name. I believe in "To each his own".

Cheers!
LitterBug

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby

I am in Colorado Springs where throwing/flying anything at all in a local park is illegal. There is no place to fly here unless you own private property and even that is under attack by local, state and federal government.

That's ridiculous, cuzzin Larry! You can't even throw a ball or frisbee with your child? In Phoenix they have certain parks designated for RC models.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
$250 fine for throwing a football in a local park without a permit.

Try to get a permit... If you aren't part of a league, forget it.

Per the lady I called at parks and rec, no permit has ever been issued in the city or El Paso County to allow any kind of flying toy in any park since the law took effect in 2005. Flight over any federal land surrounding the city is also illegal.

I really really don't want these people knowing my real name and/or my home address. :)

Last edited:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Colorado, been there, liked it, but... isn't that where they were taxing the collection of rain water?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Colorado, been there, liked it, but... isn't that where they were taxing the collection of rain water?

Isn't it ironic that they can buy, eat, and smoke stuff there in colorado that is federally banned, yet they can't fly or throw toys? What's up wit dat? Where is the AMA in all this for promoting the hobby?

Cheers!
LitterBug

cranialrectosis

Mentor

It was until 2016 completely illegal for me to capture the rain water that lands in my yard. We lost a fight in SCOTUS <> 100 years ago with the state of Kansas. Kansas legally owns my rain.

Last year they passed a law allowing me to catch one rain barrel of water and use it on my land.

Now they want to pass a tax to capture more of our storm water and pump it to the Pueblo reservoir (50 miles away) so we can pay to pump it back into our homes to drink. We keep voting it down so the EPA is suing the city due to runoff impacting downstream cities that it is illegal for us to capture and use.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'"-Ronald Reagan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhYJS80MgYA

Yeah. I use an alias on FliteTest along with VPN and encryption because I don't want the EPA reading this and knowing my home address...

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Isn't it ironic that they can buy, eat, and smoke stuff there in colorado that is federally banned, yet they can't fly or throw toys? What's up wit dat? Where is the AMA in all this for promoting the hobby?

Cheers!
LitterBug

IMO both bans are wrong.

I'd rather have some dope smoking moron legally crash his copter into a house and get sued for damages and have to pay up than have either ban sending guys with rifles into a residential neighborhood searching for copters, water barrels or drugs.

Real men demand liberty and justice. Lesser men settle for license and order.

I don't know where I read this (probably Thomas Paine). It isn't mine. But I sure do like it. :)

I fly legally on private property and I teach kids to be safe and sane and obey the law. The goal being to educate the next generation of politicians because my generation sure has screwed the pooch on liberty and justice for all.

TazRC

Obsession, not hobby
Ha, obviously a topic near and dear to cranialrectosis. :D

Wasn't it a small town in CO that created their own currency? Think I saw something on Netflix...

Sorry for going off topic, randyrls. :eek:

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Rules are made for those who are inconsiderate, ignorant, or both. And though rules don't eliminate either completely, they do draw a line that gives us an opportunity to say "knock it off" before damage is done.

As for compensation of damage done, I wouldn't hold my breath. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. I don't feel too confident trusting the guy who was irresponsible enough that he ignored safety that he'll then be responsible enough to have money or insurance to cover for his carelessness.

Sorry for going off topic, randyrls. :eek:
Oops! Good call, Taz.

Sorry.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
There are several reasons in my mind to use or not use real names in forums and such. First of all forum names are usually unique and are not duplicated on account making. MUCH easier to learn and associate. Trying to keep 275 different Bob's and 100+ Tom's separate and remember their particular interests and skills to pull from is insane.

I really don't personally care if the government is aware of me or not. I try and stay as legal and do the right things as much as I can to my abilities. If they wanna knock on my door they will get the same treatment as any other uninvited guests, A polite "Hello"and a deeper "What do you Whaont" before I send them off back to where they came from after telling them to "find a new hobby and NOT make it me".

A place like here in our forums it is much easier to learn and want to associate on a more personal basis which is a beautiful thing. It is however still the interwebs and standard cautions are still advised. In the end it is a personal choice if you choose to put your real names out there. I have got to know MANY people here and will not use their real names unless it is already public knowledge and frequently used or I have asked permission to call them by their real names.

As for myself you can call me anything but late for dinner and I would not really care. Whether I acknowledge that name may be another story but feel free to call me what you will.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I feel your pain in regard to restrictions but thankfully here the laws whilst threatening great penalties often contradict each other and the Police think it is better not to get involved if possible.

As for hiding from the authorities technology is such that it is becoming almost impossible even if using VPN and encryption technologies, and it is only going to get worse. They use terrorism as a justification but I am sure if there was no terrorism they would find another reason.

User names are just a handle same as your real name and they really offer little real anonymity. My user name is the name of the business I am struggling to get off the ground and hopefully it will become familiar to all in the future, (if I live long enough).

No matter what name or handle you use just remember one thing;

Have Fun!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Big Brother has been spying on us in some way or other since the prohibition days when the moral majority wanted to stick their noses in everyone's business. Back to the days of inquisition if you really want to be technical..

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
When people call me and I respond with my real name, they quite often ask to speak to "Mr. Balu". Does that count?