FPV and frequencies

Ludodg

Hallo iedereen, hello all

I am rather new to the hobby of RC flying. I build a couple of foamies and was able to get and keep it in the air but still lots to train and learn.
Recently I have build a tricopter but found it difficult to keep and fly it stable.
So I also build a quad with the bend-up arms and that proved easier to fly and train with.

I am also thinking about trying to fly fpv ... but wonder what gear I should choose. Also keeping in mind that local Belgian and or European laws might narrow the choose of frequencies down. I plan on flying overhere in Belgium but also when on vacation in France.

AT the moment I use a 2.4Ghz RX-TX-system (Orange), but I am considering switching to the Frsky Taranis-system.
I understood that when flying 2.4Ghz, an 2.4GHz-fpv system is not possible.

Can someone give me some FB on what gear, frequency I should choose for some simple fpg-gear?
As in which fpv-camera, antenna, transmitter
on the other side: receiver, antenna, ...

I do have a Gopro Hero 3, so I guess I could use this as the fpv-camera ... but would like to consider a smaller lighter camera, also because I don't think I would not need the GoPro-quality when simply flying fpv.

I allready went to a lot of forums, read a lot on the matter, also viewed some of the FT-shows on this subject .. but that is A LOT of info
+ maybe things might have changed in the mean while concerning laws, updated gear, ...
So anyone who can point my nose in easy direction??

thanks in advance.

Last edited:

ZoomNBoom

First let me say that flying FPV legally in Belgium is currently nearly impossible. The law states you have to maintain visual contact, you're not allowed to fly anything RC anywhere other than on designated RC fields (where they dont want you to fly multirotors, often even forbid it), you cant use more than 25mW of VTX power, etc, etc. There is a potential loophole if you fly something below 1kg, the current law is unclear what rules apply in that case, depending how you read it you could conclude anything goes, or the same laws that govern regular full scale aviation. New legislation is in the works, limiting non commercial drones to 30 meter altitude etc, but Ive not seen yet how they define a drone. Im just saying, chances are you will be breaking the law anyway.

That said, no you can not use 2.4 Ghz video link if you use 2.4 for control as well. You can plug a long range 433 MHz UHF module in your taranis and use that, or you are better off using 5.8 GHz for video. Depends what ranges you will want to fly. 5.8 video /2.4 control is good for 1-2 Km without special tricks. You can extend that by using directional antenna's. If you are looking to 10+km, you'll need UHF and a lower video frequency.

Giving specific product recommendations is difficult without knowing a lot more, but I suggest you start cheap. I got a few sets from banggood recently and they are surprisingly good, especially if you consider the camera and VTX costs only 23 euro (!):
http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-700...egree-Camera-w32CH-Transmission-p-965760.html

You'll need a receiver, something like this one:
http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-FPV-5_8G-32CH-Wireless-AV-Receiver-RC832-p-975426.html

And an LCD that doesnt produce bluescreens.

Alternatively, you can invest in some goggles with or without integrated receiver, my vote would go to the Skyzone goggles. Its by far the most expensive part though, so if you want to keep the budget down, consider hobbykings quanum DIY goggle. Its not at all the same quality, but so much cheaper and good enough to get in to it. Actually, I notice they sell a complete set with vtx/vrx, clover leaf antenna's for a VERY reasonable price here:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._Video_TX_RX_CP_Antennas_and_Camera_PNF_.html

Last edited:

Ludodg

thx ZoomNBoom.

My rig is indeed about 1Kg, I might want to try to get in under that weight.
I plan to fly on private porperty. As I understood, it is OK to fly there, indeed till a 30m height.

But also, wherever I mention that I build and fly a drone, the first reaction of people is: "oh yeah, that is not allowed, you know".
Even when explaining that the main concern is the danger of hitting someone and the ability to spy on people which everbody freaks out about ... and that I do neither of those as I am currently only flying where there are no people around AND not having a camera at the moment ...
... I think it is still best to not alarm people and avoiding trouble.

However I like the ability to be able to fly First Person, seeing and enjoying nature from another point of view, and thus my quest for fpv-info.
I plan on doing it on private property -always staying at a close distance .. and maybe in nature where I won't be bothering people, yet knowing I might get in trouble with "the law" if someones complains.

I might get into that banggood-cheapo-solution, although might spend some more bucks on the Headplay FPV Goggles.(link)
thx for the info

ZoomNBoom

thx ZoomNBoom.

My rig is indeed about 1Kg, I might want to try to get in under that weight.
I plan to fly on private porperty. As I understood, it is OK to fly there, indeed till a 30m height.

Im afraid you understood this wrong. At least for now, this is still in effect:
http://mobilit.belgium.be/nl/binaries/gdf01_tcm466-229990.pdf

Effectively making it illegal for anything over 1 Kg to fly anywhere except on designated RC fields.

For anything under 1 Kg, its even more ahm... interesting. The above circular is an exception to the general aviation legislation from 1937. But since it doesnt apply to <1Kg, an RC plane that light doesnt have any exemption and therefore, the general aviation legislation is still in effect in so far it applies. If you read that:http://www.ejustice.just.fgov.be/cgi_loi/change_lg.pl?language=nl&la=N&table_name=wet&cn=1937062730
it defines an airplane as anything airborne and subject to aerodynamic forces. So it applies to our DLG gliders, micro quads, anything, and they would require immatriculation, certificate of airworthiness, pilot license etc, just like any sports plane. Pure madness.

However, I cant tell why that same legislation wouldnt also apply to say, a paper airplane or a frisbee. They are also airborne crafts subject to aerodynamic forces. So if what I do is illegal, then so is throwing paper airplanes. Im guessing no judge will go for that.

As for the new legislation which introduces the 30m limit but also allows you to fly on private property, I havent read the texts yet, afaik, they arent even finished, let alone voted, published and in effect. Im quite curious what it will say exactly, but whatever it says doesnt apply today, and probably not this year.

But also, wherever I mention that I build and fly a drone, the first reaction of people is: "oh yeah, that is not allowed, you know".

Sadly, in most cases they are actually correct :(.

I might get into that banggood-cheapo-solution, although might spend some more bucks on the Headplay FPV Goggles.(link)
thx for the info

Yeah, the headplay may be a good step inbetween the hobbyking goggle and "real" goggles like the skyzones. I think its a bit overpriced compared to the hobbyking set though, but you dont have too many alternatives in that price bracket. Unless you can some older second hand (non oled) cinemizers, thats how I got in to it. Excellent image quality on a budget.