FT 3D - Scratch Build

Vince Nash

Re shipping for dollar tree foam

Vince, that is awesome work my friend! You are really good. Also, anything with flames on it will win me over every time. :) You should make your youtube video public, so we can see it! I'm a big fan of the FT3D and I think it has lot of potential for modification like scaling it up. I encourage people to modify the design to fit their dreams!

It's great how flitetest gives us a template to get started and we can modify it and work from there.

If you want to pay shipping from the US, I'll send you as much dollar tree foam as you want! hehe. ;)

I'm working on another scaled up FT3D, so wingspan will be about 41" again with tweaks like longer fuse and larger wing area. I'll post pics of my progress in a couple of days....

Keep building!!! :cool:
sconnie

Hi sconnie
You have my interest in the dollar tree foam,
I see that http://www.dollartree.com/Readi-Board-Foam-Boards/p16450/index.pro#details ,
sell it at $25.00 a box of 25

Just for an exercise, if your up for it , What would it take to find out what it would cost to ship it to Australia, one box of it of course, I'm guessing a lot.

But before you decide to do anything, The foam I use - 100m x 100m x 5m piece weighs 4grams or 0.141095848 ounces

If you do the same with a piece of dollar tree, it would give you a better idea

Foam-on-scales.jpg

Just a thought

Thanks Vince Nash Oz

sconnie

Hi Vince, I wasn't being too serious as I have some experience with international shipping.

Assuming box of 25 sheets: Fedex International Economy from Wisconsin, USA to Brisbane Australia: $716US.

You might be better off using what you have. :)

sconnie

Vince, you do a great job with what you have. It looks like your FT3D could use a better spar. Did you use the 1x1/4" balsa? How long is it? It may be just too flexible.

On my last one at a 41" wingspan I used a carbon fiber arrow shaft. Not too expensive and stiff and light. You have to use a different strategy with the foam to get it to stay in though. I need to post pics of this.. Stay tuned...

Keep on building and flying 3D!!!

sconnie

Last edited:

slandon

Fun little 3D flyier

This is sure a fun airplane. I always get compliments when it's at the ball field. 2014-08-03_17-59-14_695.jpg

rdallaire

Finished mine last night. This is the first foamie I have actually painted and minwax'd. I'm going to minwax all my planes from now on.

20151111_095717.jpg

tribe

Flew my FT-3D a few times, flies good to me except elevator isn't very responsive. A friend that is more experienced pilot flew it and suggested to move battery back so it is slightly tail heavy and to increase elevator travel. Easy to do before the next flight. He also mentioned it was underpowered, but could be the prop choice.

Any advice on prop or other changes?

Here are the specs:
AUW: 670g (3S 1800mah) and 705 g (3S 2200mah)
ESC: 30A BLHeli
motor: "the beef" GT2215/09
prop: APC style 10x5E

I also have a couple other props: 9x6 and 10x4.7SF

I'll probably try the 10x4.7SF next time I fly.

D17E

Just finish built the greate plane....:cool:

Attachments

• P_20160506_163606.jpg
    P_20160506_163606.jpg
    419.3 KB · Views: 1
  • P_20160506_163552.jpg
    P_20160506_163552.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 1

sm1340

I'm getting all the materials to build my FT3D. But I have one question can the servos be hidden in the fuse and wings for a more cleaner look or will that hurt performance. And will a Kinexsis 30C 2200mAh 3S 11.1V be enough battery for this model to do 3D. I purchased the C power Pack.

Last edited:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
You could definitely hide your servos. The only thing that you might want to consider is reinforcing your push rods (they'll probably need to be longer if you're putting servos inside) with some skewers or carbon rods so that they don't flex.