FT Bronco Build

dangermouse650

My FT Bronco, my first twin motor, flies very nicely, i changed the back slightly so i could put a door on and drop parachute army men....

This is made with depron, had a little trouble getting the wings right because depron does not bend

jtbluefeather

That's a good looking Bronco, Dangermouse! I too, love how these fly. I did mine in USMC desert pattern.

image.jpeg

So I may or may not have just "accidentally" ordered a Bronco speedbuild kit to put some of my lonely spare electronics in.

Among those spare electronics, I have the following motors:
3x Turnigy SK3 2822-1275KV
3x Turnigy SK3 2826-1240KV
5x Turnigy 3530/14-1100KV

Which would you use and why? I'm pretty sure the 3530s would be way overkill. I have one on my blunt-nosed Versa Wing with a 9x6 and it flies quite nice.

As for batteries, I've got 3S in 1800mAH, 2200mAH, and 4000mAH.

I've also got some untested FPV equipment that may find a home in this thing, in the form of a Boscam 200mW TX and one of the ubiquitous 700TVL cameras that use the Sony sensor. I've never flown FPV before and decided to start with a plane instead of one of my multirotors.

Also, has anyone run into any tips or tricks on building this that I should be aware of?

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Finally getting around to building my bronco....

IMG_6720.JPG
IMG_6725.JPG
Why it keeps flipping the picture I'll never know but you guys get the idea

Last edited:
75% Bronco

I have always wanted to build a scaled down version of the bronco so after reviewing the forum I thought I'd give a 75% version of the bronco a shot. I just scaled down the planes in the print menu of adobe to 75%, and left a bit of extra room when cutting the a and b folds. The plane came together great!

I will maiden it later this weekend. For now I'm running it in as a pusher with an emax 2205 2300kv redbottom, 30 amp esc, and 5x4 prop. It needs a 2200 3s up front to balance it out... so we will see how it goes. I'll update the post with result.

My goal with this is to ditch the pusher and have two emax redbottoms on the mini bronco. I have recently built the super bee with the redbottoms and it is insane.

I put an arrow in the pic for size reference. The 75% bronco is 32.5 wide and 24.5 long.

IMG_1762 (2).JPG IMG_1763 (2).JPG

Sorry I can't figure out how to flip the pics...

Last edited:

jpot1

Elite member
If building with the "A" tail could you get away with just the two servos for pitch and yaw control, no ailerons? I also assume you need 1 CW and 1CCW prop?

Last edited:

jpot1

Elite member
Went ahead and built mine using two of the C pack motors. I had a few questions I was hoping for some help on.

When I mount the wing is there a right/wrong location? There is a bit of give with the rubber bands and I was curious if anyone uses anything else to prevent the wi g moving around?

This is my first v-tail and did my setup on the dx6. My problem is that to hit the low throw on the gauge in the plans I have to be at 100%. To hit the high I had to increase my servo travel to 125%. Is this normal with a v-tail?

mech1

Hello there,

it seems that Bronco isn't a common build/moded FT model :-( I didn't find a Builders thread? There are some smaller topics though.
Still I want to build it as my first two motor plane because of good experience with explorer.

Is there any1 who can help me with Bronco?
I have Power Pack C motors EMAX GT2215-09 1180KV, EMAX BLHeli Series 30A ESC, and Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 40C Lipo Pack. But even there is note about Power Pack C as possibility, most people using setup comparable to Power Pack B.
Will it bee too heavy with Power Pack C and 3S 2.200mAh? I prefer scale flight before speed.
Is it better to have counter rotating props? Towards the fuselage from the top going down?
Which tail is better for flying experience? I like the Bronco H top type.

ty!
mech1

jpot1

Elite member
Hello there,

it seems that Bronco isn't a common build/moded FT model :-( I didn't find a Builders thread? There are some smaller topics though.
Still I want to build it as my first two motor plane because of good experience with explorer.

Is there any1 who can help me with Bronco?
I have Power Pack C motors EMAX GT2215-09 1180KV, EMAX BLHeli Series 30A ESC, and Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 40C Lipo Pack. But even there is note about Power Pack C as possibility, most people using setup comparable to Power Pack B.
Will it bee too heavy with Power Pack C and 3S 2.200mAh? I prefer scale flight before speed.
Is it better to have counter rotating props? Towards the fuselage from the top going down?
Which tail is better for flying experience? I like the Bronco H top type.

ty!
mech1

Hi mech1,
I just finished my bronco build and flew 4 batteries this weekend. I am using two "C" pack style Turnigy 1100kv motors on a 3s 2200 battery with 8x4.5 props. One of the props is counter-rotating which removes all torque roll. Definitely not too heavy, flew great!

bronco.jpg

mech1

ty!
It looks so cool! Like your finish ;-) Ty fo sharing ...
Do you think that the V (or A) tail is the way to go?

Last edited:

jpot1

Elite member
ty!
It's look so cool! Like your finish ;-) Ty fo sharing ...
Do you think that the V (or A) tail is the way to go?

A-tail looked different than anything I had built before and works great. As long as your radio can do vtail mixing you are all set.