FT Bushwacker

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
Maiden flight:

Around 1:45 you can hear the motor acting up. My guess, based on the fact that I lost all thrust (but kept servo power) and the ESC was hot to the touch was that there just wasn't enough airflow over the ESC to cool it and it got too hot to continue supplying the motor with power.

I was running at about 50% throttle for the whole flight after takeoff and am running the stock FT power pack C.

I could feel it losing power so I tried to bring it in for a landing and had a bit of a rough bump but it came home with very little damage.

Thoughts? I think it might be a little nose heavy too but I was able to fix that with trim about halfway through the flight.

IsaLandr

bushwacker electronics acting up

Watched the video, and had to throw my two cents in.

I ordered a water resistant foam speedbuild kit of the Bushwacker with Power Pack C and the extra props and several of the recommended 3s 2250mah batteries. It's a pretty awesome kit, durable, docile in the air, and easily repaired. I've only had mine flying about a week now, and already it's got more tape and hot glue than original foam.

Right off the bat I screwed up the build and got the tail feathers crooked, and it had already set before I caught it. My attempts to repair it (don't ask!) only made that problem worse AND damaged the foam in the tail itself. Not good. On the plus side, this plane flies really well despite my incompetence both as a builder and as a pilot.

However, I bench-tested it before I ever stuck it in the air, and discovered a brownout problem almost immediately. i´m using a Turnigy IA10 receiver with an Eagle A3 Super II stabilizer, and within about two minutes of powering up to full throttle, the motor would start acting up, I'd lose power, and shortly there-after the receiver would drop. I thought I'd solved that problem, maidened it, and it promptly lost power to the receiver and fell out of the sky.

Mine is using all six of the servos provided in Power Pack C, and the stock 2A BEC just doesn't seem to be able to provide consistent grunt to all the servos, the receiver, and the stabilizer. So I added a 3A external BEC plugged into a Y cable to the battery, and now it doesn't brown out at all.

We're getting a pretty solid 12 minutes of flight time on a 2250 battery consistently now. it's not super fast, but it handles well, is very stable in the air, and is providing me with an excess of training opportunities. I've literally beaten the airframe to pieces, but within minutes it's patched up and back in the air. Most of the time.

Gazoo

The Bushwacker is too big and draggy to fly off the F-pack I suspect. I have built it with the B-pack and the C-pack. The B-pack is just enough power.

Besides, that's a pretty big opening in the cowl. I think the F-pack can only use a 6" prop. You need at least a 9" prop to develop any thrust around the cowl.

Wheelz

Okay, thank you for the response. I only ask because I have two f pack motors but I wanted something with flaps for landing but they don't seem to have any might minis with flaps.

Last edited:

Gazoo

I have put flaps on the Storch, Bushwacker, Foam Cub, and a few others. They are cool but not all that helpful. The Bushwacker flies pretty slow anyway without the flaps. And flaps=drag!

If you want a plane that is super fun to fly and especially land, you might consider the Mini Pietenpol. I have built and flown two of them and they both were a joy to "touch and go". No ailerons though.

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
Just save, and in print options go print at 70%. you will have to account for the different size of the A and B folds as the foam is still 5mm.

Forster

Slow, low and dirty.
The Bushwacker is too big and draggy to fly off the F-pack I suspect. I have built it with the B-pack and the C-pack. The B-pack is just enough power.

Besides, that's a pretty big opening in the cowl. I think the F-pack can only use a 6" prop. You need at least a 9" prop to develop any thrust around the cowl.
Hey Gazoo, What battery pack are you flying with your B-Power Pack? I'm looking that kit next (using a Park 450 with a 9x4.7 and a 1000mah pack) but I'm wondering if it will balance without ballast.