FT Guinea Pig (Review)

tamuct01

I'm running a pair of the Turnigy D3530/14 1100KV motors with 8x4 APC props on a 4S 3000mAh battery with lots of luck. It has plenty of power, and the smaller props don't hit the dirt when the wind tips her over. The differential thrust setup I have is great for vertical stall turns as well. I recommended it for a more advanced setup over the stock Power Pack C.

spacepeter

Can anyone recommend a complete electronics upgrade for the guinea pig that could be purchased from hobbyking.
I would quite like lots of power and long flight time but these are essential

Thanks a lot!!

BobW55

Could someone explain the differences in performance I would see between the power pack B & C offered for this plane?
All my batteries are 3S 2200 to 3300.
I'll have to make a Y power harness, all my batteries have an EC3 on em.
Also, anyone have a Taranis X9 plus set up?

Looks like a very FUN to fly and versatile airplane.

tamuct01

Could someone explain the differences in performance I would see between the power pack B & C offered for this plane?
All my batteries are 3S 2200 to 3300.
I'll have to make a Y power harness, all my batteries have an EC3 on em.
Also, anyone have a Taranis X9 plus set up?

Looks like a very FUN to fly and versatile airplane.

The Guinea Pig is a very versatile plane, and is generally very forgiving. It was my very first airplane to build and fly, so I purchased the kits from FT along with the Power Pack C. I used the 10x4.7 slow fly props and a pair of 3S 2200s each wired to its own ESC, and it flew great. The pack B would not be my choice for this airframe as the motors are considerably smaller. The C pack provided plenty of thrust, but it is not really suitable for acrobatics.

I've since switched to a 4S setup with these motors: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-d3530-14-1100kv-brushless-outrunner-motor.html and a 30A ESC capable of 4S. I've switches to a single 4S 3000 mAh with a Y harness to the ESCs. This setup gives me good acrobatic performance and 10-12 min flight times. The guinea landing gear setup is quite narrow, and the 10" props had a tendency to strike the ground when the plane would tip over (mostly when taxiing). I'm running the 4S setup on 8x4s and it's no longer an issue.

I also use the Taranis X9D+ and have setup various mixes for differential thrust, etc. I can share my model setup, if you'd like.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate

woah that looks wicked good!!!!

so would the guinea pig be a good second plane? lol. being real though... i want to build it even if im not flying it anytime soon. how many sheets of foam board does it take and how many pieces of paper is the plans and what is the wingspan? i need to know if i have enough paper to print plans and foam board to build it and space in my room to store it lol.

also is it c pack motors?

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
what do you think of 4 power pack B motors? 2213 935kv
what size prop for that do you think? running on 3s maybe 8045 prop? 1045?

I don't have any 2213s laying around, I do have 2205s. Likely some 5x45, maybe some 6x45s I think I have on hand.

Likely going to make a slightly larger Mini Guinea and maybe do 4 motor.

XDmToter

I'm getting ready to build the Mini Guinea at 130% (compensating for the thickness difference between Adams Rediboard and ModelPlaneFoam).

I am wondering if anyone has tried mixing in Flaperons on this model, and if there is any benefit to doing so?

BobW55

I only have the 100% from Flight Test.
I do not see any big need for flaps unless you think you maybe on the under powered side. The stock version has more than enough power to hover, and then some. The ailerons are pretty much outboard of the motors.
I could see having flaps if you are flying off a very short strip.
I would figure someway to help keep the wing centered fore and aft, so you get the same placement each time.

That is my 2 cents

XDmToter

Thanks Bob. I appreciate the input.

I can save a channel on my Rx by using a y-splitter if I don't go for the flaperons, and put in a tow release servo instead!

I will be using the NTM PropDrive 2826 1200KV motors with counter rotating 8x4.5 Props, so I don't think it will be under-powered.

I may put tabs on the top of the fuselage and slots in the wing for alignment, just like my SuperBee. Good Tip!

BobW55

XDm,
Another thought I just had.
Once built and flown, you could always adjust the linkages so both ailerons had a few degrees of down in the neutral position and see if the effect is worth using a spare channel for flaperons.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
XDm,
If you have the channels on your radio/receiver available then go for it. I had Flaps on this last build with the FC, but didn't really get a chance to test them before putting it in a tree.

Last edited: