FT Mini Guinea Build

JLT_GTI

grrr.. i had another wingtip bent again by a freak accident (it was windy.. wind kept turning over the plane in the ground..so i put it under a foldable chair .. then the wind overturned the chair... over the MG )

the carbon spar unglued and the wingtip is more "crumbled" ..

How does epoxy work on foam board? i had used hot glue.. but seems that it doesnt hold that well to carbon

JLT_GTI

For now gluing a barbicue stick seems to work... atually better than a flat carbon rod.

unfortunatelly i forgot to periodically check the right motor prop collet.. and the other day after doing a low pass over the runway and pulling up to climb.. the right propeller came loss and it spiralled down violently (second time this happens to me in the MG) .. and it finally smashed the original nose..

So i had to do a new nose cone.. only that my printer doesnt work.. i dont dare to use my work's printer for this ..so i did the nose comparing to the broken parts of the old one.. but it works
Q2IMLuI.jpg

My guinie finally gave way to the smash I had when I maidened it with reversed aileron controls. Given that it was absolutely ballistic. (1900kv motors on 4s) I decided to build a custom plane based on the dimensions and build techniques use door the guinea.

Struggling to upload a pic off my phone so here'sa video

Excuse the messy kitchen. Too busy building to tidy up yet!

JLT_GTI

Anyone made this with Depron?

my wings are bendy in the tips of stress.. hangar rash and strikes...
i added bamboo sticks but doesnt seem to help at all..

the problem is.. all we have here is depron 4/6mm to try to rebuild the wings.. im not sure how to translate the flitetest folding and building instructions from foamboard to depron

I think the original design by Peter (before flight test) was built using depron. Maybe have a search on Google for the old plans. I think his channel was called foam and tape

JLT_GTI

yeap.. the twins was done using depron.. but Peter i think used a diferent construction method using ribs for the wing.. and also it has constant airfoil right to the end.. not like the FT version wich has a concave airfoil in the tips for tipstall protection

This little plane is such a blast! I even managed to do some flat spins on my maiden flight.
It already crashed hard a couple of times and I glued the nose back together with tape and hot glue. Have to build me another one soon! It is so beautiful in the air if flown slowly and scale but also sooo fast with full throttle with unlimited vertical!
I love that you can be brave with FT planes, simply because if you crash, you can build a new part! It so helps with learning to fly!

jason51873

Rudder?

Is it bad to build this with no rudder and only dif. thrust? I just ordered the speed build kit and and power pack. So I was wondering if just using dif. thrust would be ok.

Another question is, would it be better to have CCW prop on one side and CW prop on the other with the motors spinning the opposite (and correct) direction for the props. Or better to just have them both spinning CW with CW props? Or it doesn't matter?

Last edited:

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
Is it bad to build this with no rudder and only dif. thrust? I just ordered the speed build kit and and power pack. So I was wondering if just using dif. thrust would be ok.

Another question is, would it be better to have CCW prop on one side and CW prop on the other with the motors spinning the opposite (and correct) direction for the props. Or better to just have them both spinning CW with CW props? Or it doesn't matter?

No and it won't hurt.

You can absolutely leave the rudder uncut, although SB kit might have it already laser cut, and just use the diff thrust for yaw. This will actually be helpful since you can use the yaw channel for your secondary motor mixing.

The use of CCW/CW props is not a huge thing with the Mini Guinea due to the small size. I have run CW on the few MGs I have built and never had issues. My friend built one with CCW/CW and it had no noticeable performance advantage.

JLT_GTI

If you are going to use the motors as a rudder i would recomend adding expo ... its a bit snappy when in slow speed.. a panic full yank on that stick will send it spiring out of control easily

A local colege in our field snapped a few pics of my MG in flight.. in one of then you can apreciate the "bendy wingtips" issue:

qlrJBbs.jpg

3YuEeOL.jpg

qmkPSEZ.jpg

jason51873

No and it won't hurt.

You can absolutely leave the rudder uncut, although SB kit might have it already laser cut, and just use the diff thrust for yaw. This will actually be helpful since you can use the yaw channel for your secondary motor mixing.

The use of CCW/CW props is not a huge thing with the Mini Guinea due to the small size. I have run CW on the few MGs I have built and never had issues. My friend built one with CCW/CW and it had no noticeable performance advantage.

Thanks so much for this. I have been using diff. thrust now with no rudder for a little while and love it.

JLT_GTI

Have any issue handlaunching or dont have a runway?

Not a problem with the MG:

And this is with DYS 1806 with 5X3 props.. imagine what it can do with 6X3 or 2204/2205s with 6X4s

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
That was awesome! I've done that with Mini Versa wings and Mini Arrow, but never thought about trying it when I had MG built. Planning to build another MG soon, might have to try it out....

You convinced me to finally start building another MG, got the wing structure finished already.

Last edited:
My first FPV ship.

I've finally got round to my first fpv plane.

I've had a mini guinea before, as well as a twin plane which I designed based on the MG so I'm quite comfortable with it.

20170226_125748_resized.jpg

20170226_134449_resized.jpg

I'm using a runcam swift 2 and a lumineer tx.

Power is from 2 funfighter motors so, like most of my planes, it should have way too much power :Diane

I have 2 40 amp esc and the fpv gear in the fuse so I put a NACA duct in the nose to help with airflow.

There is no cargo door just yet. As it stands I'm using all 6 channels anyway ( dual ailerons and differential thrust) but I might add one further down the line and put the ailerons on a Y harness.

I added a bit of down thrust on the motors as my previous MG and similar planes with underwing nacelles always pitched up under throttle.

20170226_101316_resized.jpg

It's only a little bit but it should help.

I'm really looking forward to the maiden.

EDIT: I got bored...

Last edited: