FT Mustang - Build

m_eye_flying

Adding ParkZone P51 Canopy and 2.5" Spinner to FT Mustang

Got the Parkzone (PKZ1513) canopy and GreatPlanes 2.5" spinner today. Not bad actually, the ParkZone P51 canopy makes this FT Mustang look great, no yet secured just placed on fuse to show it and is not flimsy, but rather durable ($5 on eBay). Even though the GP spinner ($6 on eBay) is a 2 blade, it still looks great. I am going to go back and finish the poster board with the heavier style, since the one I started out with is OK, but not what I was looking for exactly. Will just overlay on top of existing. I removed the nose piece and added the heavier poster board to see and that sealed the deal for me, plus less wrinkles. Looking to add the ParkZone T28 pilot and some cockpit looks. Thinking of going with a "Bluenosed Bastards" theme down the road. Once completed will post pics. Just wanted to add my adds in case anyone wanted to see if there was a canopy that would work instead of using the supplied style or cutting a plastic bottle.

IMG_5613.JPG IMG_5611.JPG

Last edited:

m_eye_flying

Added some cockpit details to the FT Mustang. FMS pilot is on order. Not bad for what room I have to work with and will also give it behind the seat battery design too later. Just wanted to post an update.

Attachments

• P51_cockpit.JPG
    P51_cockpit.JPG
    813.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5633.JPG
    IMG_5633.JPG
    858.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

m_eye_flying

Finishing touches on my FT Mustang cockpit creation. How does it look? I know its not scale, but just my take. Pilot is a tad big, but to me it looks good anyway. Now waiting for a nice day to maiden and then paint if I am lucky enough to land without crashing it. It's all in the fun of this hobby. I truly appreciate everyone here who has helped me and others and wanted to give a shout out to everyone at Flite Test and say thank you for loving and putting forth your passion for this hobby! I wish I lived closer to you guys, but I am so happy your presence is on the web and communities.

P51Cockpit1.JPG P51Cockpit.JPG P51_Battery.JPG

Last edited:

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Extry cool m_eye_flying !

Mine probably won't look so nice. But I started my first scratch build. I printed tiled plans, (on an iffy printer that died shortly thereafter). I made templates and cut out all but the final piece, the fuselage, which I traced out tonight.

mustang.jpg

Having carefully (and artfully for anyone paying close attention) pre-stacked most of our excuses in advance, we at SlingShot Hangers are nevertheless highly confident that we will produce an exemplar acceptable to the War Dept.

(It's important for the folks back home to hear that sort of thing.)

Seriously, we plan to cure any anomalies in the assemblage of the plans with the straight edge. We presume that to be the convention? What? What?

Last edited:

jklong03

Just picked up 3 sheets of the "824" new Adams DTFB to start my scratch build. Heard the few things negative but love that really bright white finish! Will try and document how it goes for the benefit of the community.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
we at SlingShot Hangers are nevertheless highly confident that we will produce an exemplar acceptable to the War Dept.

p51d.jpg

Just the turtle deck, setup and few details left-

Intellectually I knew that it should only be slightly more difficult than a SBK, but still we were relying on my fitting and craftsmanship so I was a little intimidated. But it's fine and gonna fly great.

Finished model is here.

Last edited:

jklong03

Wing servo installation

How do they expect the builder to know before assembly of the wings that one of them has to be reversed to get correct responses? If you install them exactly as shown in the video, they are not reversed! Do they include some reversed servos in the flight pack or a reversing cable that I missed?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The physical layout gives the "Reverse" but it is actually just a flipped servo, (mounted on the other side). With the servo arms both installed with the output arm towards each other or away from each other then the arms will travel in opposite directions for the same input from the Rx. You just need to connect the servos with a "Y" harness to the Rx and your Ailerons should be functional.

After installation if you find that the Ailerons are working opposite to the way you require, i.e. Roll right for a left roll input from the Tx then you reverse the Aileron channel in your transmitter.

Make each servo installation the mirror of the other and you will be fine!

jklong03

Thanks Hai-Lee, I knew that in my head but must have been really tired that night! I could have sworn they were moving in the same direction.

Theja68

The 9045 is the max propeller for a 4s. If using 3s 9060 is good. See that they have changed the battery also from 3s to 4s

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
I wonder why they changed the prop and battery
I am building my 4th spitfire and it is about the same as the mustang and I have been using 3 cells on them and they fly like on rails.
I have been using the 8x4 prop but was going to use a 9x6 on this one as I have made it 3/8 in wider and may make it 3/8 in taller to accommodate the sound system I am putting in it.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
anyone got pics of their power pod arrangement and battery placement?

this plane has been fighting me tooth and nail, makes me nervous when things don't go smoothly. especially when i have build this many planes. most issues probably been self created but the vagueness in the build videos on some very important issues is just brutal.

thanks for any help.

jason ;)

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
still need some info on the arrangements of the pod. thing is still fighting like crazy, i guess at worst i can start a business making wall flowers...

20170929_165555.jpg

20170929_170638.jpg

laters,

jason ;)