FT Old Fogey (Swappable) - Scratch Build

Davec921

hi JB and JS.
I just want to say thank you Flitetest for another great plane.
I just finished up my build. Ill have to take some pics with my camera an try to post them later.
I do have some questions though. I am limited on funds an the motor that I have is a RcTimer 2830/8 1300KV.
The prop I have is a 8x6E. I have two 850Ma 2Cell, two 2400Ma 2Cell and two 2400Ma 3Cell.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the 8x6 prop would be big enough for this plane or should I go with a bigger prop.
I would like to be able to fly with my 2400ma battery if that will be possible.
This is my second build. My first was the FT Bloody Wonder. That was way above my skill level.
So I am hoping this plane will last me longer then three flights.
Thanks
DAVE

MrClean

I'm flying on an 8x6E prop and a suppo 2208-14 motor, it's 130 Watts compared to your 275 Watt motor. I have plenty of power so USE YOUR THROTTLE!

I'm also using either 850 3 cell or 1000 2 cell. On 3 cells I use my throttle. Both give about 5 minutes of flight to take the battery down to 27%. There is a lot of lift in that there wing. I wonder if a tad more wouldn't settle my wing wobbling down.

I wouldn't say your setup wouldn't work. Wonderful thing about electronics is that they are very simple to control the power you put into them. Just make sure you can balance the plane correctly and give it a shot. You can always put a different motor/batt combo in later and use that motor on your new RCG/FT F-22 Raptor that you should be getting ready to build. They look AWESOME in the air and your definitely have enough power for one.

Waiting on calm weather, maybe I'll throw some color on in the meantime on what I'm calling an Old Lazy:

Oh, and I came in a sixteenth of an inch on the wingtip cutouts which has brought the 3 inches dihedral down to 2 inches. I'm hoping that will slow some of that walking around. I'll throw the wing on the Fogey and give that a test while I'm test flying this one.

Last edited:
New here and just wanted to report on what an easy flyer the Old Fogey is!! I haven't flown RC in years and recently decided to get back into it so I have something I can do with my boys. I had my plans printed in black and white at Staples and it ran about $9 to do it. The construction of this plane is so simple, and the A and B style folds are very strong. I did my maiden flight yesterday and have done two flights this AM already.

DSCN6162_zps8b014969.jpg

My ingredient list is as follows:

1300kV 24g motor from lazertoyz
500mAh 2S turnigy
HK 18-20 amp speed control
two HS-55 servos
Dubro micro/park flyer control rods
0.0625 landing gear wire (too flimsy, and need larger diameter)
2.75 inch light weight Dubro tires
Orange 6 ch Rx
Spektrum DX4e from my mcpx.
10x4.7 slow fly prop

Total flying weight is 13 oz.

This is the first plane I have flown solo in 25 years and it's so gentle and easy to fly. It's gentle enough that when you let go of of the sticks, it's easy to get it back into a recoverable attitude. I can't think of a better way to use two sheets of dollar tree foam!! I am going to go by the local sign shop and see if they can print on the dollar tree foam. It would be a great way to get some graphics on the plane!

Great work on this one Josh!!

Last edited:
I can definitely attest to the Old Fogey losing a bit of control authority in breezy conditions. I can't really bring myself to modify the tail, mostly for aesthetic purposes. I might build a variant with a different fuselage shape that will give the vertical stabilizer and rudder more airflow, like MrClean's above. In calm conditions it flies like a dream, but when the breeze kicked up there were a few times when I thought I was having radio problems.:confused: Once I got it down a little and out of the higher speed breeze, it worked like a charm again. Also, with a little dive and full throttle I even managed some loops. What a fun plane!!!

MrClean

I built another wing for the new fuse as well. With the stock cutout on the wing I had wingtips at 3 inches each. This new wing is at 2 inches each which should help but I haven't had a chance to fly it yet and I'm betting Xmas eve isn't going to be any better. BUT as easy as they are to build, you could do the same, just take a 1/16th out of the "V" that is notched into the center section and then try it. Heck, with the wing way up high and the cg a couple inches behind it, bring the notch 1/8 inch back to a straight line and you probably will have 1 inch dihedral and it probably will fly fine there, less self correcting but more wind tolerant.

MrClean

Just back from flying. First off, brrrrrrrrr!!! it's 20 degrees out there.
Second, my servos were cold, my batteries were in my pockets.
Third, with 2 inch high wingtips the constant dancing of Dutch Roll was gone. It still was a bit touchy on elevator and rudder and then I moved my battery pack all the way up front and it settled right down. The plans has the CG just aft of the break on the plans but mine is a lot more fun to fly outdoors with the CG in front of the break.

Neither was as much fun as my Old Lazy, which frankly needs just a touch more rudder so it can be insane, also my incidence on my wing is too high. I didn't shove a couple popsickle sticks in there but I'm guessing that would fix the transition. Any flat or undercambered wing will have a large margin of trim difference between high and low speed but this one is quite a bit higher and reminds me of having flaps fully down no a flat bottomed wing. Other then that it's real close and solid. I'll see about getting the measurements off it though I believe that anyone interested in changing things will be able to just keep the same moments and tail planeforms but just move them up and put a fuse around them. It flew good.

Now, I need to go cut my wingtips off and glue them back on AND I need to put some color on my Old Lazy WHICH only interested the flock of Canadian Geese I flew over. A couple of drakes put their necks up and wings out in challenge but by and large the flock just ignored me.

Back to the work bench and my Baby Blender which needs its turtledeck put on.

cubbychub117

what sort of foam

Printed out last night while I finished the bottom wing for my baby blender. Will probably put the blender over to the side and work on this tonight. AFTER the Pergo I'm doin in the basement of course.

Thanks guys. I was always a fan of those Texaco event models.

what sort of foam do you use nd whwere do you get it from?

MrClean

I handed my Old Fogey inspired LzB around today at the funfly. Went through 5 3 cell 850 packs with it and one 2 cell 1000 pack. The 2 sell flys it but the 3 cell will fly the pants off it. Spent plenty of flights just idling along and actually caught a thermal a couple times. What a floater. Gonna order some higher capacity 3 cell packs and look into putting night lights on it. What a bunch of fun. We went through a LzB period in our club, I've got a picture round here somewhere with about a dozen of us and our bees. Something else to be floating around for 5 minutes and then spin down to about 15 feet, neutralize and then pull a loop from 5 feet that must not top out at more then 20. Where'd you get the plans was the question of the day. Hope to seem more of them out to the field this summer.

Edit, added me and my plane right before launch New Years day.

Cold Fogey.jpg

sorry, somethings you can't Un-See.

Last edited:

yachik

Thank you so much this is the start what a great way to spend time with the son. I love the hobby but can’t fly to save my life so who got a champ about a month ago and oh my that boy can fly .not me but that 12 yr. old … thank you for the plans to start this off .. And( Josh B) thank you for working on a list of parts for this.. it will be very helpful to have a good base line Jason & Darian Yachik 2013-01-01_22-02-28_263.jpg

I have had quite a few great flights now with the Fogey, and two not so good....:( Had some crashes that wadded up the front a bit, but a little packing tape sorts that right out. Since we are barely scraping the teens (degrees F) here for highs, the new mod seems appropriate ;)

DSCN6168_zps25f2bee2.jpg

It's almost time to build a new fuselage, but this one still has some flights left! I am getting just a hair over 5 minutes flying time on my 500 mAh batteries. A friend gave me an 800 mAh he found in his basement. I can get about 6 minutes out of it, but it really doesn't seem to have too much more power.

I also did a landing gear mod that really makes the gear stiffer and easier to keep square on the fuselage. I bent another piece that fits between the original gear and then soldered that in place. This was the prototype so my tie wires are a little scabby.... The next set will be much better. (the twisted rubber band on the bottom is where I hold my battery)

DSCN6172_zps76d1d797.jpg

DSCN6173_zps75975212.jpg

I am going to have to paint the next one. I might still paint this one, but with all the packing tape repairs, it might not work out so well....

At any rate, what a great plane!

I just started building this plane today and my plan is to use the motor and ESC from my AXN floater jet on this with a 6x4 prop and some sort of 2S 500mAh. How well do you think that'd work? I hope to be able to fly this in our flax warehouse on the farm! And would I benefit from getting a bigger prop since I'll be using a 2S?

AXN Floater-Jet motor
And I am not sure about the ESC but I think it is a 25A.

MrClean

I'm running a 2208x12 1800 kv motor on mine of unknown origin other then my club bought a bunch of them for Foamy combat. I have a 7x6 on it and fly it regularly with 2 cells. It's no speed demon but it is relaxing flying outdoors, inside it might be appropriate. Then again, I used to power my LzB with a Magnum 10 engine on 7x4. Essentially the same output as a Teedee .051 but with idle and starting and standard everything else benefits. When it stretched it's con rod I put a TT 15 in and it was in my opinion overpowered.
This fogey flies pretty much the same.

There is a chance it could work, if you want to try, use an 8x3, 7x5 or 7x6 prop.
I can use those props even though the motor is a 2150kv? And which one would work best for some slow, lazy, indoor flying? :) As you can maybe tell, I am just starting out in the rc plane hobby so I don't know much, but I am learning!

I'm running a 2208x12 1800 kv motor on mine of unknown origin other then my club bought a bunch of them for Foamy combat. I have a 7x6 on it and fly it regularly with 2 cells. It's no speed demon but it is relaxing flying outdoors, inside it might be appropriate. Then again, I used to power my LzB with a Magnum 10 engine on 7x4. Essentially the same output as a Teedee .051 but with idle and starting and standard everything else benefits. When it stretched it's con rod I put a TT 15 in and it was in my opinion overpowered.
This fogey flies pretty much the same.

That paragraph started to confuse me about halfway through :p You mentioned a 2208x12 1800 kv motor... what exactly does the 2208x12 mean?

dRCcaptain

i build my first plane and unfortunately it crash...
it seems that its under power
i used http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__12916__D2822_14_Brushless_Outrunner_1450kv.html, 8x4 prop, 2S 1300mAh battery, 30A plush speed control
im not sure with the foam board, its a 5mm thk insulation board covered with thick paper on both side
i was excited to test it and i did not took a single photo..
should i try the nutball/snowball first before i move on to this plane?
is my power plant mentioned above will fly a 17"-20" nutball?
any suggestion?

Last edited:

MrClean

The 2208 generally describes the physical size of the motor. The AXN replacement motor IS a 2208. The second KV number is simply the speed the motor wants to turn per volt of input. Mine is a 1800 kv motor, the AXN is a 2150, 350 more revs per volt.

SO we both have, essentially, os 25's except mine is an FP and yours is a FX. This is probably where I started losing you as I was trying to give you a point of reference in the glow engine world.

Bolvon72

Mentor
I spent the weekend building my non-swappable Fogey and to verify that I absolutely wanted to mount the Suppo 2208/14 1450kv I put it and a 1800mAh Turnigy 2s into my first Fogey and took it up to run around. I also decided to really push a run time so after a couple of minutes I took it up and put it at half throttle.

I figured I would let the 10 minute timer go off, then bring it in close until I lost performance and see how long she would go. After 10 plus 15 minutes later I had to land her because it was too dark to fly anymore, and dinner was going to burn.

With a 25 minute flight confirming my motor and a belly full of overcooked food, I finished the job.

2013-01-07 22.48.41.jpg

Maiden tomorrow, I won't even think about cooking. You may notice I took about half of the polyhedral out. I was flying that wing on my first fogey tonight and it performed wonderfully.

Last edited: