FT Planes for RC Desk Pilot

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Awesome! Thanks. I see a time limit on the free version of SketchUp. What happens when that time runs out?

Not really anything. It says something like "Come on, you know you want to buy it. Instead of $300, we'll give you this one chance to buy it for only $200." lol. Okay, not exactly that.

I think a few features are turned off, but nothing that I use or really noticed. Mostly it's the start up screen that changes. It no longer asks you which format to start with.

rcspaceflight

FT Duster

FT Duster: View attachment FT Duster.zip

There are 3 versions. FT Duster. FT Dusty. The only two difference between those two is the color scheme. And then I also made one without a canopy and gave it a "racer" type of color scheme. That last one has less drag since in real life it would have less drag without the big canopy acting like an air dam.

Technically the FT Duster in the Flite Test episode had better roll rates than I have. But I wanted to keep it easy to fly and I like the feel of this plane in the air. Faster rolls means it would be harder to fly. Other than that I think I have it really close to spot on.

rcspaceflight

Awesome Job! You are getting so much better as you practice!

It is getting easier.

Maybe I shouldn't admit how little time I spent getting the flying characteristics right for Dusty. I just threw it together, flew it, and said "good enough". lol.

I'm currently having a problem with Ripslinger though. The nostrils, or whatever, aren't going to happen. Maybe I'll retry it. I was just going to make and alter a cone, but it didn't look right. And I can't do the nice airbrush look. I'm not sure if a solid orange cone would look any better than if I just left them off.

I mean, is it really that noticeable that he's missing a part?
ScreenHunter_270 Feb. 11 23.17.jpg

rcspaceflight

FT Cruiser

FT Cruiser: View attachment FT Cruiser.zip

I added retractable landing gear and flaps to the Cruiser.

Now I just have some finishing touches yet on Ripslinger. I am going to retry the nostrils and if I get them to look decent, then I'll just color them green. Not quite the right color scheme, but that would look better than a distinct orange or to just leave them off.

And I have the FT Viggen to do. Hopefully I can get a lot of the 3D modeling done tonight.

Then I want to re go thru all of the FT planes I've made, mostly correct the FT Flyer, FT Nutball, and the FT Delta. After all that, I'm going to make an article that will have ALL of the speed build kit FT planes for RC Desk Pilot in one spot, all in one folder to download. And then I probably won't be making any more planes for RC Desk Pilot. Well, I may make them as Flite Test releases new ones. ... I'm at least taking a break from this obsession.

ofiesens2

Professional noob
I downloaded both the BMI sim and RCDP 2 weeks ago, and I still can't fly. SmartPropoPlus didn't work for me, and I haven't even checked HK for a usb converter (as well as a battery charger and servos). What do you think is the best USB cord for a DX4e?

rcspaceflight

I downloaded both the BMI sim and RCDP 2 weeks ago, and I still can't fly. SmartPropoPlus didn't work for me, and I haven't even checked HK for a usb converter (as well as a battery charger and servos). What do you think is the best USB cord for a DX4e?

I have no idea. People are usually pretty good at commenting on the Hobby King website how good a product is. However, Hobby King tends to delete the bad/negative comments. So you have to read between the lines with what people say about the product.

ofiesens2

Professional noob
I have no idea. People are usually pretty good at commenting on the Hobby King website how good a product is. However, Hobby King tends to delete the bad/negative comments. So you have to read between the lines with what people say about the product.

Thank you, although may I ask: do you use a USB cord or SmartPropoPlus, and if you use the cord, which one?

rcspaceflight

Thank you, although may I ask: do you use a USB cord or SmartPropoPlus, and if you use the cord, which one?

I use a dedicated USB game controller. http://www.amazon.com/Volantex-Simu...=UTF8&qid=1391549185&sr=8-1&keywords=volantex

I used to use this: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24613__Wireless_9_in1_Simulator_Adapter.html
You can just plug your Rx into it and use it as a game controller, but mine eventually stopped working and I didn't want to spend another $15 for something that I eventually had a problem with. I'm not saying that you can't go that route and buy it, I don't know why it stopped working all of a sudden.

rcspaceflight

FT Racer

FT Racer: View attachment FT Racer.zip

*shifty eyes* I think I'm all done.

I want to do the Viggen, but I was having issues modeling it. So... as far as I'm concerned I'm done. At least for now. Which may be until next winter since it's starting to actually warm up outside.

14 FT planes is enough.

rcspaceflight

P-38

P-38: View attachment P38.zip

I know I said I wasn't going to do any more, but I really wanted a P-38. I tried to keep it warbird like and fun to fly. I was lazy and didn't add any animated control surfaces. But it does have retracts (I re-used the B-29 landing gear, which doesn't quite match).

ScreenHunter_288 Feb. 21 23.28.jpg

rcspaceflight

I see that the new and improved version of the FT Bloody Wonder is out. I had nothing better to do between work and bedtime so I started working on modeling it. I should actually be able to finish it tomorrow, if I get around to it tomorrow.

One issue I had is that the wings don't quite line up and it's better if I just leave the gap on the wing tips.
ScreenHunter_330 Mar. 25 01.49.jpg

ScreenHunter_332 Mar. 25 02.15.jpg

I see that there is a difference in the vertical stabilizers for the vertical take off version and the landing gear version. I plan on making both, but the "landing gear" is going to have to be set weird to force the vertical take off version into an upright position. But I'm going to set it up as "retracts" so you can turn off the landing gear so it can land normally.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
:applause:
Oh boy! I need to build a BW now, and better yet, now I have a Sim version.

Yes. Yes you do.

I've been enjoying mine for months, and it's a fun little flyer. An 85W motor with a 3S 1300 will fly well . . . or a 200W with a 3S/4S 2200 will fly AWESOME ;) It's a build you won't regret!

rcspaceflight

FT Bloody Wonder

FT Bloody Wonder: View attachment FT Bloody Wonder.zip

I think I got it close. I admit I did the flying characteristics rather quickly and like every other plane I've made I'm sure they could be better, but it's close.

I put a note in the description of the vertical take off version, but I'll restate it here. The landing gear points are set weird in order to force the plane to fall into the vertical position. I have retracts set on that version so after it falls into place you can turn off the landing gear points by "raising" the "retracts". The plane doesn't fall into the vertical position 100% of the time, especially if you bump the throttle. But you can always hit the "enter" key to reset it until it does fall into place.

I tried to make the Rudder Wonder version fly like Bolvon72's in his video, but it was just too unstable with such high throws. I'm not sure RCDP is set up to handle such planes, or it's just a delicate balance to get it to fly right. So the Rudder Wonder version is a much milder version based off of Bolvon72's plane.

ofiesens2

Professional noob
3 things:
1) Is it asking too much for a RCDP Viggen?
2) Thank you! I went from not being able to fly at all to being able to fly for hours a day. I got my sister flying and both of our favorite planes are the FT Cruiser.
3) Continuing from number 2, you are now on my mother's radar:D

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
RCSF, how do I upload the files? I've tried and can't even start the upload, they both show up as red dots.:(
Both aircraft are done, and I just need instructions.