FT Simple Storch OMG I'm in love

mesolost

OMG! I'm SO in love. ^_^ I'm SEVERELY limited in materials as I begin my journey into the skies so here's what I complete f'd up. The landing gear is made with coat hangars. The wheels are cut and shaped from some solid foam blocks they used to keep the parts of commercial equipment from knocking around and to protect the sheet metal from the mad banding straps they use in shipping. (taken from Wal-Mart from their new deli coolers) The motor mount was originally made from Wal-Mart foam board (denser than DTFB) and some scraps from cutting the wheels out. All the control horns were made from a OMG YOUR PRE-APPROVED credit card. (pre-approve me I'll cut your card into pieces! then use the remainder to start up the fireplace) I didn't follow the directions for the paint stick. Instead I just cut it in half and used half in each wing. The power pod is only secured with 1 BBQ skewer. Since the body was wider than the power pod i took 2x3 inch pieces of DTFB and pre compressed them then glued them on both sides, front and aft. (4 pieces total) This pressure fit actually holds the power pod in enough on it's own but I added the skewer for backup.

Ok so the maiden maiden was great for about 50 feet. (did a mod to my transmitter so I could put on a high gain wifi antenna) Forgot my antenna at home but I had done a 200ft night fly without it before so I thought i'd be ok if i stayed close. Good thing I didn't reset the failsafe positions because it did some gentle ovals before a rather gentle plop. This broke the foam firewall so I reinforced it with the scrap pieces of foam from the wheels. Put it up in the air again today and again it flew like a dream. That is until the motor flew off the firewall and nearly ate the entire front end off. LMFAO Even after that I made the best landing I have ever made in my life! (exception being on the simulator but that don't count) So since I've put the FT 3D in the hangar until I gain some more confidence in the air and I've already stolen everything from it except the control horns and the gyro (son of a BLEEP I glued that SOB in there) I decided to steal the firewall now too. So tomorrow, wind permitting, I'll strap a camera on her and kick her off the ground. =p For now here's some kinky stills of this beautiful woman.

100_0197.JPG
100_0198.JPG
100_0199.JPG

oh yeah, Electronics =p
Spektrum RX
10x4.75SF prop
Turnigy Areodrive 1100kv
Turnigy 2200mah 3 cell
Turnigy Plush 25A ESC
Turnigy TG9e 9g servos x 4
I'm sensing a theme here LOL
Servo extensions? naw, I just got some raw servo wire, cut the servo leads, and soldered in extra wire.
AND to "cap" it all off, lol, 2 x 1000uf electrolytic capacitors soldered to an old servo lead pluged into the BIND/DATA slot to prevent brownouts.

OH and a small 3A brushed motor controller with the positive wire cut (BEC conflict prevention) for future lighting. I run it with dual ailerons so EVERY hole in my receiver is plugged, even the satellite port! (just in case)

mesolost

Just got back from the airfield and.... oh yeah, i love this plane. ^_^ Stuck a camera on the nose but it was pointed down and the battery was pressing the zoom in so all I really have is some dirt roads and pasture going back and forth on the screen. Hacked a slot just in front of the windshield so I could slide the camera in there for a better perspective. Once the batteries are charged I'll go to the school just around the corner and get a better FPV shot.

Oh yeah, anyone have some flap settings for Spektrum radio running in flaperon/dual-aileron mode? (separate aileron channels(ail/aux1(flap))) I tried some settings but i either get it to nose dive or I loose aileron authority. (near uncontrollable)

earthsciteach

The Storch is a pretty sweet plane, particularly for $tree foam board construction. Sorry, can't help you with the Spektrum settings, but set max flaperon at 70, not 100. This will give you some down travel on the ailerons. This'll help with control.

mesolost

I think I might be gettin ready to drag the 3D planes out and start some high altitude learning. =p Here's some footage from yesterday and today. ^_^ The FPV is an HD Flip video camera striped down to the board and run off a single cell lipo. Other 2 are from my old old cannon camera on a rickety nephew tripod. XD

Last edited: