FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

jaredstrees

FPV'd my emaxx over the weekend. Was a ton of fun till I the magic smoke came out of the esc. Oh pics to come if interested and a new esc on the way. I forgot how much more $$ car esc's are than planes! Don't know why I didn't do this before! Now to put the fpv gear on a plane. In the process of finishing a simple scout to carry it around. I'm a bit more nervous to FLY fpv style than drive, though! Any tips are welcome!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I completely understand the car vs plane esc scenario. I just ordered a brushless system for my slash and the this week the ESC spit out magic smoke. I also got one from gearbest and it claimed to be waterproof, it was not. The company did credit me $20 though and the esc receiver combo was only $15 on amazon so I guess everything turned out alright. Next step, corrosion x EVERYTHING and make sure to use epoxy to seal off the esc's.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
So I keep thinking about how to entice others to try this out. Most folks I talk to hesitate because of how much a the one-time costs are. Batteries, chargers, transmitter (and battery).

But I think with most people it's understanding what they love. I have a friend who is getting his sons into the hobby. and we built a bunch of planes with them. He was surprised to experience the zen of

This weekend In an effort to get a my Bloody Baby Black Widow up in the air for a maiden flight. Found a bum motor, and esc. :( I had a few pusher setups ready and decided instead, to get the Mini Arrow out again (need to set it up with a 3S bat next time
as mine currently balances with a 1.65 2S.) and with Foamtest's Discover inspired me to pull out my Mini Explorer. (a-pack sized). It only has Elevator and rudder... That Is WAY different than I'm used to flying and was a challenge to fly, especially with a moderate 10mph winds
I eventually go the hang of it after crashing a bunch and got it 2-3 mistake high and just flew a bit, trying very hard to keep it from drifting over the ball game in progress. there were a number of light crashes, on half-busted the wing but the rubber-bands kept it flyable (maybe should have just stopped there.)

Then I fixed a loose connection in my Mini Arrow, and flew that barely on a 2S 2204 2300. it would be even in the tail wind and lift slowly in the head wind. once above the trees it did fine. and just flew a number of lazy circuits. then Landed it in the parking lot just behind the car. :)
Weather.JPG

Generally good Relaxed-ish flying. not always how it goes. My X-29 never came out of the dive let it go into. :black_eyed: All taped up, that thing is sturdy. Over a week out, my youngest still talks about the size of the dirt clump the nose dug out! (about head sized) While it was definitely damaged, It survived WAY better than I expected. :cool:

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
FPV'd my emaxx over the weekend. Was a ton of fun till I the magic smoke came out of the esc. Oh pics to come if interested and a new esc on the way. I forgot how much more $$ car esc's are than planes! Don't know why I didn't do this before! Now to put the fpv gear on a plane. In the process of finishing a simple scout to carry it around. I'm a bit more nervous to FLY fpv style than drive, though! Any tips are welcome!

well if you think about how many amps each can pull, cars and planes have similarly prices ESCs. most car ESCs can handle 50 amps or more and are around 50 dollars. many are also waterproof. a 40 amp plane esc can be around 30 dollars. its not all the much less when you consider that the car one is waterproof and can be programmed.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
I completely understand the car vs plane esc scenario. I just ordered a brushless system for my slash and the this week the ESC spit out magic smoke. I also got one from gearbest and it claimed to be waterproof, it was not. The company did credit me $20 though and the esc receiver combo was only $15 on amazon so I guess everything turned out alright. Next step, corrosion x EVERYTHING and make sure to use epoxy to seal off the esc's.

corrosion x on the car? so what do you do for waterproofing planes? corrosion x? can that be used on the rx as well as esc? i have a friend that says use conformal coating but i think that would make it overheat.

jaredstrees

Heh. My emaxx needs a 150a esc. Most of my planes ecs's are 20 to 30 amps and cost lest than $20. So to me it is a big price difference. I'll likely never need an esc that large for a plane. And you can use corrosion x on anything. I however, tend to not fly or drive in wet conditions.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Heh. My emaxx needs a 150a esc. Most of my planes ecs's are 20 to 30 amps and cost lest than $20. So to me it is a big price difference. I'll likely never need an esc that large for a plane. And you can use corrosion x on anything. I however, tend to not fly or drive in wet conditions.

i was just saying that if you compare the amp capacity to the price the prices aren't that different but if you just think about having to replace one on a plane vs car its a big difference. cars are just plain expensive. thus why i have one crawler and ummm.. lets see.... 1, 2, 3, 4, a lot of planes. lol.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Yeah I love rc cars but I only have 3 of them, and the only reason I have that many is bc I got one as a gift, another was a used slash I bought off my buddy for $70 and a cheap $50 1/12 from gearbest. Out off all of them I have had the most fun with the gearbest one though. I think it’s just because I can bash it as hard as I want since it is only $50.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Nice job! Love the looney toon nose art hehe. Any progress on the helis?

Thanks Psy! Been working on the Huey on and off. Mostly trying to get measurements for drawing up the grenade launcher. Been working with Realmodelpilots to get some Vietnam era pilots and gunners made. For the Kiowa, I found out that the local aviation museum has one, so I’m going to go out there and measure up the cockpit panel for my interior.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I finally got my 3d printer working somewhat well.
DSC_8501.JPG
DSC_8504.JPG

Kinda look like crap but those are rather small models and the light makes any imperfection pop out, otherwise im very happy :cool:

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
The lil boat is called benchy, is to test different aspects of the printer's capabilities such as overhangs, bridging, stringing and such.

Now I have infinite power!

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
The lil boat is called benchy, is to test different aspects of the printer's capabilities such as overhangs, bridging, stringing and such.

Now I have infinite power!

benchy! that's what it was. i know they have a whole website. i was really into 3D printing a while ago but... the cost put me off. someday i will.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Being able to print small complex parts reliably is well worth it, especially for me since there is about 50 different things I want to make.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Being able to print small complex parts reliably is well worth it, especially for me since there is about 50 different things I want to make.

heheh... you should see the bookmarks i have of things i want to print when i get a printer...
Screenshot (21).png
i used to have more but recently weeded them out.

what printer do you have? im sure you said at some point and i just forgot.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Anet A8, only had enough money to get this one. Building is fun, feels like when I was building lego kits when I was younger.
Fairly easy to get running but hard to get running well, needs some upgrades which luckily can be printed by the printer itself!