FT What Did You Do RC Today : Caution Offtopic At All Times

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Playing LOS and other testing out at the field. Trying to make sure everything is in good running order for FliteFest next week.

A little testing of a minimal build DJI FlameWheel 550 Hex

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Off topic.. when this video finished I saw your "Baby tri looking back" video pop up as recommended. Is it normal for a tri tail rotor to be tilted off 90 degrees in straight forward flight? I thought the counter rotating front props were set up to counter yaw torque in forward flight. CP helis need an offset to counter it but I thought the whole concept of the tri set up did not.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Off topic.. when this video finished I saw your "Baby tri looking back" video pop up as recommended. Is it normal for a tri tail rotor to be tilted off 90 degrees in straight forward flight? I thought the counter rotating front props were set up to counter yaw torque in forward flight. CP helis need an offset to counter it but I thought the whole concept of the tri set up did not.

If the front motors cancel each other out, something must balance out the tail motor. That is why the tail is always tilted. Playing with a few different TriFlight firmwares trying to find the best flying one to leave on for Flite Fest. Haven't flown them in a couple days and was only flying quads and the hex yesterday. Felt really weird not having the waggles and being completely locked in. LOL! Trying really hard to fly conservatively so no more rebuilds :black_eyed: have to be done between now and next week. LOL! Still have to get Baby Tri #1 back together after tail servo and parts arrive, reassemble the monocopter, FPV the owls, and rewire the RF ESC on the Krieger. Haven't had time to print up JHitesma's 3D prop flingers yet either...

Think I will bring a fishing rod so flight testing and tuning the monocopter might be less destructive...

Cheers!
LitterBug

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
So you're 'off the off topic now' :p

As far as I remember on the tricopters, the programming doesn't do anything with prop rotation speed up front to counter yaw effect - that's 100% left up to the motor on the servo.

My RC time in the past couple days has been cleaning the house and yard. Oh wait - that's not RC related at all. But it does make the little lady a more forgiving of my running off to FliteFest, so it's sort of connected. :p

jaredstrees

Made a pair of FT-22's for the kiddos.

KIDS-22.JPG

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Nice, I love the clear canopy and paint on the mighty mini Corsair, makes it look it look fantastic!

On Sunday, I took my fleet out for some fun and to test a new power system on my P-47. Had to get up pretty early to beat the heat, but the weather was too good to pass up a day of flying.
IMG_1189.JPG

Nerobro

A Severe Lack of Sense
I painted the body for my M-05 Miata, to make up for the awful one I made the first time.

I painted and built the body for my TT-01e MAN racing truck.

I got the TT-01e running. (it's a blast by the way..)

I cleaned my two buggies, and re-mounted the ESC in the TT-02b.

I figured out a plan to fix up the "basher body" for my Miata, and the VTA body for my TC4.

And today.. I drove the TT-01e around the parking lot at work.

... it was a good weekend for me and RC

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I just got back from FFE and 5 days of RC stuff.. I am now too stiff and sore to do much more then sit here and veg. It hurts to even have a keyboard sitting on my legs to type this today.. What a great five days of RC everything.

French

Construire Voler S'écraser Répéter
I dreamt about building a new quad (filled three different online shopping carts, including the FT store) even though I don't really need one.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Pretty wiped from the fun from all the early days and late nights of amazing fun at FFE17. Had a great time meeting, helping, learning, exchanging, watching, enjoying, connecting, volunteering, and taking part in every aspect I could possibly take in. Getting ready to start building an RCExplorer Mini Tricopter after a day of caddying for my son.

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I got to start on a new build at FFE. I was handed a box of goodies by Rockyboy and that had enough parts I was missing to start my 100 mph build. Got the new pdb installed and connected to the esc's and motors. I got the FC wired in. Could not get time on a computer to flash anything there as the only person I knew with those capabilities on site was Litterbug and he was helping a couple of kids get in the air so I was not about to cut in on that. Once my body recovers and I catch up on rest I will get it in the air soon though.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Well I started on my next batch of planes for the local RC shop and this time he was so eager for my planes to be back in stock. He also requested a couple of my other designs as well. Whilst i was there i picked up a FMS P-47G but now I have not enough time to assemble it until the latest order is completed.

With my P-47, the orders, My simple cub build, my KFM wing Biplane project and the flying wing test program I am also trying to undertake I need more hands or to learn to do less. OH Well who needs sleep anyway!

Now I am preparing for the Dawn Patrol in about 10 hours time, weather permitting!

Have fun!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Finally fully unpacked from Flite Fest. All the tools back in their places, the final couple batteries processed back to storage charge. Repairs from Flite Fest started - Tiny Trainer Canard servo issue sorted out, wing stabilizer reattached, Cuda holder assembled so it hangs nicely on the ceiling.

Next up is final sanding and then covering on the Balsa Cuda, and either the nose job on my remaining Caudron C.460 or final hardware installation on Psyborgs Caudron. And as much as I want to dig into the purple beast, I also want to take my time and do it smoothly so I might just knock out the nose job first.

Oh yeah, and the severe (but very fun) distraction of coordinating the next Flite Fest Forum Challenge is underway too! If you haven't seen the thread yet, come on over and take a look - link's in my signature :)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Started researching RC protocols and other RF protocol properties in the 2.4Ghz ISM band. Looking into all this to build a heatmapper to attach to an autonomous quad to help identify why and where there are dead zones at some flying locations. This site is a good starting point to learning more about how the 2.4ghz RC/RF works.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Phoenix 24

Recently I've been looking for some cheap FPV goggles. One of the guys at my field Velcroed a small camera/transmitter combo on my plane, and I was hooked. Even if it was on a Storch. :D

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
I'm thinking about building a wooden ship kit. Well, I'm beyond thinking. My local hobby store has them on the shelf right next to their (limited) selection of balsa free flight kits. So I picked one up. It's been staring at me for about 9 months now and I'm starting to get the urge to build it. I've been trying to hold off until the winter because I found that I don't like building planes that fly in the winter when I can't then go out and fly them for 4 months.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I almost finished my balsa Cuda last night - just need to drop in the motor/esc & control horns. Still in progress 3d printing parts for the Lowrider CNC machine. Made some good progress on the FW-42 plans for the FTF18 WW2 challenge. :)