FTFF 2014 was great EXCEPT . . . The offical(ish) constructive criticism thread

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
A video on field procedures would be great. Any links to one already out there?

I am a total noob and this was my first flying event, field and only my 3rd time out flying a plane (Ares Taylor craft 130 & now FT Flyer). I have no clue what procedures are on the field, I watched others for a few minutes and just mimicked what they were doing. A beginner crash course for field etiquette would be great.
I was camped next to the beginner area which made for a great quick way to fly-crash-fix, which I liked.
There where no stations in the Beginner area like some of the other fields. You looked for a gap between pilots that seemed big enough, ducked under the tape and flew. There was no to very little wait time to fly, which I liked.
There were many highly skilled pilots with a fleet of constantly flying airplanes on the beginner area that I felt distracted from the beginner feel of the area.
I missed Friday and Saturday pilot meetings. I waited around 30 minutes for the Friday one to start but my 8 year old's attention span was not long enough to stay still. So I may have missed some procedure information/instruction. She just wanted to know when the Bounce house was going to be working. She really liked the house and was bummed each time she checked to see if it was working or not. She did get to "maiden" the bounce house though. It was a great way for her to burn some energy off. I would like to thank Jason who volunteered with the bounce house. I also missed most of the Saturday pilot meeting due to it starting late and me wondering off to the vendor tents and then not hearing that it started (my fault entirely).

The announcements where very hard to hear at the far end of the tent camping. I actually thought I heard announced that the showers where not working. I was perplexed when I saw many people coming and going out of them a short time later.:confused:

I like the idea of an adult swim or a Flite test swim so we can all just stop and watch the flite test crew fly/maiden original creations etc.

A FT Santa(s) booth. So you can have a one on one with the FT crew (not necessarily sit on there lap) I wanted to meet as many as I could and did get to meet Josh Bixler only after standing around him and stealing a minute of his time so my daughter and I could meet him. She really wanted to meet Josh Scott but we never saw him.:(

Overall it was great, I hated all I missed when I left Saturday afternoon due to the possibility of storms, but watched the live stream of the very wet Q & A from a dry hotel room in Dayton , Ohio. We did get to finish our FliteFest trip off with a visit to the FREE Air Force museum on Sunday before venturing the rest of the way home, which we liked.:)

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I didn't get to make it this year and only experienced it through the livestream - but that was enough that my wife looking over my shoulder decided we need to go next year :D (It helps that my parents live near Cleveland so we have an excuse to visit the area already.)

The livestream was great for those of us who couldn't make it. But it would have been even better if there had been more of it. Seemed like it just kind of got forgotten about on Saturday and Sunday other than the planned combats and podcast. Those were great, but the random just walking around talking to people parts were my favorites. I would have even enjoyed just a static cam setup in the build area or looking over the flightline. Oh and as mentioned a few other times I kept hoping that they'd patch a FPV RX into the livestream for some aerial footage.

Regarding the PA system - from the livestream it sounded great but I know that's not a great representation of how it may have been in person. I know at the big rocket launch I go to every year at Plaster City they run a similar setup - but they also patch in a LPFM TX so anyone can tune their radio to a certain frequency and hear what's going on even if they're out of PA range. It works great since lots of people setup their radio with speakers tuned in. http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/AM-FM-Transmitting-and-Receiving/b/6290123011?ie=UTF8&title=AM+&+FM

The old original $47 kit is a bit of a finicky beast that doesn't hold frequency well. The new synthesized version is $100 more expensive but far more reliable. I have one of the old $47 ones that I use when we have big groups camping so we can do the same thing and have everyone tune their radio to the same frequency and share music, plus it's nice for the occasional announcement to the camp. Works great for us...but if the temperature changes too much it shifts frequency a bit :D

crash bandicoot

Bridgeinspector, I love your Santa Booth Idea. That would be nice to have them in one spot. And maybe set the booth up on the flight line so they could fly with people? Also, I think I saw you and your daughter at the USAF Museum on Sunday morning. We also left Saturday and stayed in Dayton. I was in a Canadiens t shirt and said hello quickly I think.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I agree with most everything here. As stated many times before, expect it to NOT be perfect. These are all great lessons learned. I have to say I absolutely loved camping right at the end of the beginner flight line. I got to talk to a lot of beginner folks about my models and how they too can build the way I do. I also loved that many people would crash and you would mostly NOT her the "OOOOOOHHHH." It can be quite discouraging to any pilot and gave confidence to fix and get back at the line. From what I observed as a volunteer the number one thing was garbage and flight line etiquette. Many many folks on the flight line thinking more about themselves and their planes rather than safety. Odd bits of garbage all over randomly. I walked the entire runway 3 times on Saturday and spent a good hour in the build area picking up garbage. It was well-received though. Once I started others picked up that there was garbage around and helped me. Just little reminders here and there I think will go a long long way.

Onebladeprop

Maybe put up "Wait here to fly on station X" signs just outside the safety lines? I was a bit confused at the flight line trying to tell if someone was waiting or not.
I don't think everyone knew what pattern flying is and even at that people were flying different patterns. I would suggest putting a dotted line for the preferred patterns on the map of the flight line.
The somewhat free for all atmosphere was kind of nice since we didn't feel really restricted. But we need to make sure one persons fun doesn't impede anothers. Stricter adherence to the flight line rules and some safety/cleanup rules for the build tent would be helpful. Some people may be worried about being seen as the "rule nazi" or something. But kindly reminding someone and pointing them in the right direction is usually well received.
I was running a generator so it didn't bother me, but I know of one guy who didn't seem to like them. If we could figure out a way to divide the camping into a sort of smoking/nonsmoking set up it would probably make things better for those folks.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
There will always be someone who has
issues with generators. It can not be helped. I kept reminding the pilots to call intentions when on the field. You saw it happen more when a senior pilot was flying. The pattern issue I must have missed. The pilot meeting problem has been discussed and ideas have been discussed to fix this. Registration will always be slow. Since two sites were used for pilots to sign up it slowed things down. For next year it's been suggested that if there isn't a kickstarter that the eventbrite will be used and a spreadsheet can be made from that. Pilot info packs are a great idea. As for wrist bands something other then the rubber ones should be considered. The cheap ones you get at fairs would work fine since you can get different colors for pilots and spectators. I also missed the large number of smokers. I smoke but when I did I was either far away from the groups or only in my "campsite". Smoke pits could be setup and those who do not want to be bothered can avoid them. Gang please remember that for the first year any event has it's kinks. Next year things should be better as lessons have been learned and improvements have been identified. I'm sure there will be updates through out the year regarding next year. The key players are taking your concerns and working on them

Onebladeprop

If you're referring to my post I was trying to say it might be nice to separate campers with generators from those without. Like a smoking(generator)/nonsmoking(no generator) section. Not that I thought people smoking cigarettes was an issue.

Thanks for setting this thread up. I think it's going to be a good one.

First: Thank you to the flite test team for having the idea to do this event in the first place. You identified a need, and filled it!
Next: Thanks again to the Fuerys and to the volunteers. I can't imagine how long and hard all of you worked so I my son and I could have one of the best weekends we have ever spent together, making memories and flying rc planes. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I've been a volunteer leader before, Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, etc. sumner camp coordinator, etc. it's a ton of work. Satisfying in its own way, but not easy. I know. You guys made the event. My hat is off to you.

I won't mention all the stuff that went right. Nearly everything did!

Only a couple small points for improvement: Easily addressed next year:

Please have a coffee vendor next year, I know there was coffee available at the Cafe, but I think there are many of us that would pay for something a little stronger, and more satisfying.

I'm new to the FPV game, but we really need a disciplined approach to video freq control. Need an FPV specific pilot meeting, and then a reminder at registration for late arrivals to see the FPV coordinator before powering any equipment.

Put up an easy-up and desk at the FPV flite line: hand out "remove before flight" tagged 30db attenuators to every FPV pilot and do a strict video TX antenna impound. When you want to fly, you check for clear freq at the desk, return the dummy load, and screw on your antenna. When done, you can pick up the attenuator. We lost a blunt versa wing on its second flight due to suddenly seeing a quadcopter next to a tent in the fat sharks. Luckily we were able to fox-hunt it down near the corn field thanks to a narrow beam helical antenna.

Just an idea, maybe VAS-Alex or IRC-Anthony or can chime in with a better solution.

Love you guys. Can't wait until next year!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
I LOVED FLITEFEST.
However I had one main issue with the event which is more of a story, so, I'll start with background. I'm the only one in my family that flies planes , I wanted my family to get a real taste of this great hobby so we could share it. At the event, my prepared planes were promptly scrapped, design errors, not anyone's fault. So I got an FT Spitfire. Before I go any further, I loved building with all the great people and look forward to doing it again next year. However, my family who don't have any planes or anything were bored to tears for the entire Friday, not the impression I wanted them to have. On Saturday, I flew my new Spitfire, but again, it took a while for a new battery to be wired and ready, and my family was once again bored. We got them a Duet and that satisfied them for the rest of that day and the next. My standing issue is still how I and the community can prevent this kind of boredom from developing. Simply, there isn't enough to do for the people that are on the fence between "Oh that's cool" and "Yeah, I fly RC". My brother said it was like being at an expo or convention; plenty to see, but nothing to do.
I think for next year, we should have a beginner station where one can rent a plane, fly it, and return it. If you crash it, no biggy, if it's legit broken, you fix it. It's an RC Airplane Hobby Demo. No commitment, that's it.
I'm looking forward to all of the great improvements and all the fun at FTFF2015!

Splatwillicrash

I like the Rental Idea

I LOVED FLITEFEST.
However I had one main issue with the event which is more of a story, so, I'll start with background. I'm the only one in my family that flies planes , I wanted my family to get a real taste of this great hobby so we could share it. At the event, my prepared planes were promptly scrapped, design errors, not anyone's fault. So I got an FT Spitfire. Before I go any further, I loved building with all the great people and look forward to doing it again next year. However, my family who don't have any planes or anything were bored to tears for the entire Friday, not the impression I wanted them to have. On Saturday, I flew my new Spitfire, but again, it took a while for a new battery to be wired and ready, and my family was once again bored. We got them a Duet and that satisfied them for the rest of that day and the next. My standing issue is still how I and the community can prevent this kind of boredom from developing. Simply, there isn't enough to do for the people that are on the fence between "Oh that's cool" and "Yeah, I fly RC". My brother said it was like being at an expo or convention; plenty to see, but nothing to do.
I think for next year, we should have a beginner station where one can rent a plane, fly it, and return it. If you crash it, no biggy, if it's legit broken, you fix it. It's an RC Airplane Hobby Demo. No commitment, that's it.
I'm looking forward to all of the great improvements and all the fun at FTFF2015!

I like the rental Idea, that would be cool to be able to maybe demo one or two aircraft. (I wonder if the FAA commercial thing would get in the way of that?) I for one saw some aircraft I would have loved to fly, but I was afraid to ask, and even more afraid I might mess one up. I think it would be cool if more mfr brought a second TX to Buddy Box the demo aircraft they had. I was itching to fly the Multiplex PT6 Porter, but I couldn't bring myself to ask Nick. (BTW thanks to Nick for taking time to talk about Multiplex aircraft tuning with me). I think a vendor with a fist full of rental duets would make it much more fun and might turn spectators into potential pilots.

With that in mind how would we handle the AMA insurance thing? Could we have volunteers buddy box them? Would that cover it? Would that be a commercial operation? Dunno, but Great Idea....

bitogre

I think this is an awesome idea.

I LOVED FLITEFEST.

I think this is an awesome idea. The Flite Test crew often says they have planes they want people to fly. So the "rental" plane can be one of Flite Test's "Pass the Transmitter" planes. When I took advantage of this at SEFF, Alex handled the takeoff and landing to increase the chances of the plane not needing repairs afterwards. This maybe something we will want to do with loaner/rental planes (have someone, likely a skilled volunteer, handle the takeoff and landing). Passing the transmitter may be good enough but a buddy box might be advisable.

earthsciteach

I agree with that. Its a great way to spark interest in the hobby among people who may never even have considered it. And, we can set folks up with temporary AMA memberships at the registration tent. Probably would need those forms right at that area of the flight line, too. This would definitely be something that we would need to schedule volunteers for as the FT crew is very busy.

I was impressed at how accessible they made themselves to everyone. Josh B would have driven himself into the ground for people.

Splatwillicrash

Oh yeah a Coffee Vendor

Thanks for setting this thread up. I think it's going to be a good one.

First: Thank you to the flite test team for having the idea to do this event in the first place. You identified a need, and filled it!
Next: Thanks again to the Fuerys and to the volunteers. I can't imagine how long and hard all of you worked so I my son and I could have one of the best weekends we have ever spent together, making memories and flying rc planes. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. I've been a volunteer leader before, Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, etc. sumner camp coordinator, etc. it's a ton of work. Satisfying in its own way, but not easy. I know. You guys made the event. My hat is off to you.

I won't mention all the stuff that went right. Nearly everything did!

Only a couple small points for improvement: Easily addressed next year:

Please have a coffee vendor next year, I know there was coffee available at the Cafe, but I think there are many of us that would pay for something a little stronger, and more satisfying.

I'm new to the FPV game, but we really need a disciplined approach to video freq control. Need an FPV specific pilot meeting, and then a reminder at registration for late arrivals to see the FPV coordinator before powering any equipment.

Put up an easy-up and desk at the FPV flite line: hand out "remove before flight" tagged 30db attenuators to every FPV pilot and do a strict video TX antenna impound. When you want to fly, you check for clear freq at the desk, return the dummy load, and screw on your antenna. When done, you can pick up the attenuator. We lost a blunt versa wing on its second flight due to suddenly seeing a quadcopter next to a tent in the fat sharks. Luckily we were able to fox-hunt it down near the corn field thanks to a narrow beam helical antenna.

Just an idea, maybe VAS-Alex or IRC-Anthony or can chime in with a better solution.

Love you guys. Can't wait until next year!!!!!!!

I totally agree on the coffee vendor, in fact...I know just the man for the job.....Hey ERIC Morrow !!

Eric you were right!!! Look, if one person said it, a hundred thought it. FYI folks, Eric is a absolute MASTER Barista, an artist with a bean, and he jokingly said for next year he wants to open a Coffee tent. Brother I hope you actually go through with your Coffee Vendor Tent next year. If I make it next year, I would volunteer a few hours to help you out, because as it is I would so totally be there first in line every morning. You addicted everybody in our camp and I assume a large majority of the FT crew with your amazing coffee, and I think you would be the hit of the Fest.

I know your process is labor intensive, do you think with some Arduino boards and servos we could help streamline and or automate the process a bit? I know you would get slammed with business. If they can make a Taranis TX stick exerciser (its on YT) I am sure you could adapt that for the Pour process you do.... Heck maybe you could use a Taranis to drive it!! hehe, Just a thought...

Matt

P.S. I think you should name your tent "It's ALIVE!!" with a smiling Frankenstein sniffing a coffee cup as your logo. LOL

Last edited:

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
Not rent, borrow

I'm glad that you all like my rental idea. I actually thought that this would have been in place at the beginner flightline this year, but at least we'll have it for next! And with the responses to my suggestion, I'm sure there's a miscommunication. Rent is the wrong word. I was thinking more like borrowing a plane for a flight. Again, no commitment, no money, no nothing; just flying and an experience. I have an analog radio system laying around from one of my older planes; one receiver, trims, 4 channels, 2.4, that's it. I'd like it if anyone else with this arrangement could do the following, as I will probably do. 1: build a REALLY easy plane. I'm talking FT flyer, Bixler, Nutball, you get the idea. 2: get a bunch of batteries (and a charger) for quick, easy, flight after flight. I'm not saying buy all the batteries from your hobby shop, but 2 or 3 should be more that enough, if a few people try this (4 is the number in my head-that's 12 batteries collectively.) This would be a place not only for those who are yet to dive into the hobby, but a place for people between planes. I for example, crashed 2 of my 3 planes; the third has a preexisting ESC issue. This borrow center would be a place for those who have run out of planes, but haven't flown enough. In brief, no matter your situation, you can come, borrow a plane, have a blast, and return it. again, if you crash, you fix it. It passes on the joy of flight to those who can, but don't have the resources.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Crash,
Yes you did say hi. We were in the black FT shirts. I would have talked more and wanted to but the docet really wanted to show us the cockpits we could sit inside. It was good we did. My daughter found someones cell phone in the f16 and we found them shortly after. We had three people ask us about our shirts while at the AF museum and I enjoyed informing them of Flitetest and the hobby.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I was actually hoping I could finish my Versa Wing with APM and configured with geofence, in fly-by-wire mode B, it would have a minimum and maximum ceiling limit that would allow a newbie to safely fly without even a buddy box system. Seems it would make "pass the transmitter" an easier/safer option -- of course, it would assume no hardware/software failures.

On our 11 hour drive home, the other Bloody Micks and myself had lots of time to talk about lots of stuff. And "if only they done ____" did come up.... Since we figured Flite Test would be looking for input to make things better, as they always want things better, we wrote it down while still fresh.

Regardless of it was said already, I'm just going to copy in my list. And let me clarify.... FLITE FEST WAS AWESOME. WE HAD THE TIME OF OUR LIVES!!!

-AT&T cell service. Is it possible to rent a repeater or something?
-PA service all the way to the ends of the field would have ben nice. Jon missed the Funbat combat, because we didn't hear the announcement!!
-I wish the vendors weren't pansies. LOL! I was going to buy some EPP sheets, but they ran off as soon as it rained (hurricaned?).
- Protocols for noobs would be AWESOME, I had no idea what to do anywhere, but it was a fun adventure.
- Rules for jerks on the handouts/programs? Some guys late Saturday night were walking around the build tent, picking up random stuff and messing with it. Come on kids, ask before you touch. It might be nice to have one-way in, one way out, and posted ettiquette for the oblivious.
- Volunteers who pre-register, should get the shirt they pre-registered for, not have it given away to the first guy to volunteer at the door. That was the only thing that really bugged me, because I'm selfish, and want my stuff! LOL!
- Volunteer schedule needs to be more clear, but I heard while at Flite Fest that that was going to be addresses anyway.

And the biggest suggestion for something I would like to see next year, but wasn't there in any version, would be a swap meet/flea market/yard sale area for attendees to sell.... stuff. I woulda LOVED to have traded off a few odds and ends to get other odds and ends.

See you next year!
Tim
The Bloody Micks.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
- Volunteers who pre-register, should get the shirt they pre-registered for, not have it given away to the first guy to volunteer at the door. That was the only thing that really bugged me, because I'm selfish, and want my stuff! LOL!
- Volunteer schedule needs to be more clear, but I heard while at Flite Fest that that was going to be addresses anyway.

See you next year!
Tim
The Bloody Micks.

Sorry...

We certainly learned a lot this year. Next year we'll put together actual registration packets (the guys don't know it yet, but we're doing it.) and volunteers will have the shirts (yes, plural. I hope to get multiple shirts for the days people agree to work) they asked for included with their packets.

I had a "great" schedule, which I promptly threw away the first day. Next year I want to have a giant white dry erase board with the schedule on it. This should make things much more clear for everyone.

Rubicon

Did not make it this year but a thought on how to deal with power issues. Renting a 100kw trailer generator was probably in this years budget, due to the better then average kickstarter funding. Don't know if there is anything left over for next year but 1 or two of these probably would have solved the power issues and been quieter then most small portable generators. These typically run about a grand a week in rental fees but I think what problems they solve becomes more then worth it.

Plan on bein there next year,

-Rubicon