FTFF East 2017 International Air Races: Rules and Registration

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Depending on your connector, we can probably find a battery to borrow. Really appreciate your help with this. Please find me when you can. Again, I'm the guy with the speedy-looking blue airplane :p

Fidget

My wife and I would like to invite all of you to our campsite on Friday at 8:30pm for dessert and open house. We'll have cookies and s'mores. BYO beverage and lawn chair. I don't know where we'll be yet, but we and our RV look like the image below. It's an open invitation, so feel free to bring anyone along!
18814485_10212909031341777_1593329046405881124_o.jpg

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I'll be on the look-out! Look forward to it. Hope the weather holds for us to have some good fun for these races.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Hope to try and find you guys somewhere but we shall see.

As an update, Joshua Finn won the Furey Cup today. We all had a really fun time and the weather looks to be perfect tomorrow.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I have several photos I can post. I'm home but dead tired and looking forward to a nice night's rest. Stay tuned. I'll also give a rundown of what happened for the Bixler Trophy. Fun stuff.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Friday evening we had a great turnout for the Furey Cup. Mason got us one pylon to fly around, which was awesome. While three would have been ideal we worked with what we had and honestly, it was a lot of fun this way. Joshua Finn took home the top place with a bit of a fun story. Keegan spotted for him but according to CraftDan Crews he needs to learn how to count. Dan counted 9 laps around and landed but It was a moot point since the completion of those 9 laps was just prior to Carl, in 2nd place, completing his 5th lap. Carl kept it low to the ground, easily below the height of the pylon the entire time really giving quite the show.

Furey Cup contestants.
IMG_4103.JPG

Joshua Finn taking home the win.
IMG_4107.JPG

The entries for the Bixler trophy were not there at the time given so we had an impromptu fun race instead. Pretty sure we all had a good time with this one.

Pre-flight with the Spirit of St. Louis. Beautiful airplanes.
IMG_4119.JPG

A shot coming back from the fun.
IMG_4121.JPG

While Mason knocked it out of the park stepping up with the pylon and our gracious FT Mustang pitching in as the pace plane, they were given souveniers for their outstanding efforts. Many thanks to these gentlemen going above and beyond. While there were no real winners of an "official" race, Carl was deemed the winner as his battery was by far the most rounded out pack in the spirit of "Bixlering" a battery. Congratulations, Carl!
IMG_4122.JPG

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
It was really fun to race around. I am glad my Mystery Ship was able to fly (and land)! I had not planned to fly in the races due to needing the runway, many thanks for figuring out a way for me to race as well. Being able to start the race with me on the runway and the rest of the planes in the field I think helped add to the spectator experience too.

I would argue that I came in second on the 10 lap Furey race, maybe even first. but it really didn't matter. Granted I had a moving start. One of my spotters (Joel) had me do 11 laps as He thought one missed the pylon. I kept my laps the tightest to the pylon and was finished before Carl stopped doing laps. But Josh's plane was too hard to see in my hat cam video to count his laps.

Carl's plane with its large radius flight path was cool to watch as it flashed into my vision several times while I was flying.

Sorry I missed out on the Bixler race, it was over before I knew it was happening :(

I will get some kind of video edit together in the near future.

Thanks for making this happen willsonman!

Last edited:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Oh really! Well now, perhaps Mr. Finn could possibly concede given the right evidence. LOL. In all it was super super fun to do it. Really more of a privilege on my part. Each design was fantastic and I hope to see more of these racers pop up over time as new folks find a need for speed.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thank you so much to @willsonman for coordinating, and all the crazy builders, pilots, well wishers, and enablers who made this happen!

I had an absolute blast, made lots of new friends, learned a ton of new things both historical and modeling, and smashed a whole lot of foam!! :black_eyed:

And as far as I'm concerned, winning the (self-awarded) prize for 'most builders for a single design entry' is the best one ever! :applause:

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Carl's plane with its large radius flight path was cool to watch as it flashed into my vision several times while I was flying.

I swear I didn't see another plane the whole time I was flying those circles :p I'm just happy I finished all the laps and I'm happy to concede second place. I'm looking forward to seeing any video you've got! I'm kicking myself for not bringing my camera out too.

That was only the third flight on the airframe and, as it turns out, she was still out of trim a bit. That was as close as I wanted to fly her to us. I got a great flight in on her on Sunday morning and she is REALLY dialed in now. I've got a Graphine pack on order for her and I'm looking forward to terrorizing the local flying field the rest of this summer ;);)

Thanks again to Joshua for spearheading this. I know I plan to build a few more of these golden era racers as time allows. There were a lot of great designs!

wilmracer

Mentor
Awesome! Yeah... I needed to tighten up those circles :) They sure felt smaller out there!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Awesome! Yeah... I needed to tighten up those circles :) They sure felt smaller out there!
I hesitate to agree with you for the fact that though I was there spotting and cheering for BridgeInspector, my eyes gravitated to your plane, perhaps due to the bright colors or, what I think is likely, your style of flying.

I wouldn't want to rig a race for any particular flyer but I think it would make for an exciting race if the race course brought out more exciting aspect of all the flyers. I'm thinking a mixture of twisties and straight-aways. Of course this will require a way to mark the corners.

All the racers built exciting aircraft to see up close and to watch fly. What a time I had for a first Flite Fest!

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
What a fun race! I was super nervous and unprepared. Destroyed my intended 3s battery in a crash less than a week from FFE and was left having to patch the Folkerts together at that (for the third time!). Got it done, complete with fiberglassing the repairs, and when we arrived, Ben stepped up with a pair of 4s batteries which did the job excellently so that I got in two successful test flights prior to the race (including a midair and an out-of-it pilot walking in front of my plane when it was 2' off the ground).

As others have said, Keegan can't count, but that's ok...I made two additional circuits before landing just to burn off some stress (and execute a victory roll over the flight line). As it turned out, my left aileron servo stripped just prior to the race and was barely holding on (probably due to the aforementioned midair), but I had just enough right roll authority to control the torque.

The event ended up a turning contest, and the Folkerts did an amazing job at this, flying the race in a steep bank at half to 2/3 throttle. When we did the fun fly in lieu of the Bixler Cup (with a new aileron servo), I did open it up a couple times, but the smaller battery from my collection sagged pretty badly. Fun nevertheless, not to mention getting off four perfect landings with a heavily loaded airplane.

See y'all next year!

wilmracer

Mentor
Yeah! I caught that launch shot. I wonder if any more will crop up in future updates/episodes. I'm still kicking myself for not dragging my camera and GoPro out there.