Fullfilling the dream... the ultimate rubber powered airplane

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Does the soaking reduce the smoke and burn marks?

Yes on the burn marks. It limits cutting to only the area directly in the laser beam so the combustion doesn't propogate outside that region. This gives a consistent kerf exactly the width of the beam.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Ok, time for some updates, but first...

In the olden days, microfilm was a thing. I built a few mic models, but that was a long time ago. Last year, however, I acquired a collection of models from a deceased friend's estate. Among those airplanes was a complete set of microfilm covered F1Ds including three fixed pitch props and two more recent variable pitch ones. I estimate these models to be in the range of 30-40 years old based on their design. That's rather shocking to still have good film on most of them. It's possible that these were Joe Bilgri's airplanes, and if so, they are extremely valuable to model aviation since he was the very first F1D world champion, winning the inaugural event in 1960. The box is definitely big enough to accommodate 90 cm models and has stickers going back to the '72 world championship (I've probably missed a few...). Ok, enough blabbering, check out the photos!

Beautiful
IMG_20180224_072830760.jpg

This one's much newer: this one's a 55 cm model, so dates to 1999 or later (but the rest of said airplane does not--it's an older modified model).
IMG_20180224_073921714.jpg

Absolutely beautiful
IMG_20180224_073809878.jpg

Ok, enough eye candy. Down to business. Ground Loop modeled up a prop block for me. It accommodates up to a 26" diameter and is set to 30" helical pitch. I paid him something that will hopefully compensate for some of his work. Seriously, he's the go to man for crazy projects.
IMG_20180220_205127490.jpg

This thing is a monster.
IMG_20180222_060923890.jpg

What do you need these for? Well, here's a video:

Well, until next time...I don't think I'll be able to work on this for the rest of the week. Southeast Model Show preparations are keeping us super busy. If you're in the southeast, please consider coming and checking out the activities. We'd love to fly with you!
http://www.gamarc.com/SMS2017.html
sms2003_2.JPG

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Ok, time for some updates, but first...

In the olden days, microfilm was a thing. I built a few mic models, but that was a long time ago. Last year, however, I acquired a collection of models from a deceased friend's estate. Among those airplanes was a complete set of microfilm covered F1Ds including three fixed pitch props and two more recent variable pitch ones. I estimate these models to be in the range of 30-40 years old based on their design. That's rather shocking to still have good film on most of them. It's possible that these were Joe Bilgri's airplanes, and if so, they are extremely valuable to model aviation since he was the very first F1D world champion, winning the inaugural event in 1960. The box is definitely big enough to accommodate 90 cm models and has stickers going back to the '72 world championship (I've probably missed a few...). Ok, enough blabbering, check out the photos!

Beautiful
View attachment 103167

This one's much newer: this one's a 55 cm model, so dates to 1999 or later (but the rest of said airplane does not--it's an older modified model).
View attachment 103168

Absolutely beautiful
View attachment 103169

Ok, enough eye candy. Down to business. Ground Loop modeled up a prop block for me. It accommodates up to a 26" diameter and is set to 30" helical pitch. I paid him something that will hopefully compensate for some of his work. Seriously, he's the go to man for crazy projects.
View attachment 103170

This thing is a monster.
View attachment 103171

What do you need these for? Well, here's a video:

Well, until next time...I don't think I'll be able to work on this for the rest of the week. Southeast Model Show preparations are keeping us super busy. If you're in the southeast, please consider coming and checking out the activities. We'd love to fly with you!
http://www.gamarc.com/SMS2017.html
View attachment 103172

wow! that is incredible! its amazing that they lasted that long!

RMDC

Microfilm has that beautiful soap-bubble iridescence to match its fragility. Those wouldn't survive three seconds in my clumsy hands or cluttered environment.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Nice find! How fortunate that they should fall into caring hands. I love it when a plan comes together.

In grade school I read a novel where the protagonist was a young free flighter. I remember that he made his microfilm in the bathtub and used bent coathangers like bubble wands to capture the film.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Nice find! How fortunate that they should fall into caring hands. I love it when a plan comes together.

In grade school I read a novel where the protagonist was a young free flighter. I remember that he made his microfilm in the bathtub and used bent coathangers like bubble wands to capture the film.

you MAKE microfilm in water? so it is literally like a bubble?

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
I'm sure FAI-F1D will weigh in for accuracy, but in the meantime this should get you started.i

Yup, that article sums it up very well. Tom Vallee was a legend. I've got a couple of his models and several of his tools. Incredible stuff.

And Jake Palmer has a video series...

Pouring:

Lifting:

And Kurt Shuler lifting his first sheet:

Tench745

Master member
Thanks for sharing those. It was really neat watching the solvent flash off in the pouring video.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
that's insane! so its like when you melt ping pong balls in acetone then spread out the resulting liquid and let the acetone evaporate.

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
Well now that we've had all that microfilm coolness, let's get back to the kit development. I have to have this kit done only a week and a half from now, so the pressure is on. Fortunately, most of the design work is done.

I cranked out some prop ribs at 5% camber. A 3" wide sheet of contest grade 1/32" balsa gives me two sets of ribs, and each set is enough for two propellers.
IMG_20180306_202339468.jpg

The wing and stab forms are enormous. When I built the Hourglass II prototype, I used very few templates and just adapted parts made from old F1D templates. Not acceptable here. My laser cutter cannot handle pieces anywhere near this large, so I cut the files up and will assemble the templates afterwards. That's ok anyway because I need to cut slots for the compression ribs.
IMG_20180306_212042293.jpg

Next we have the completed propeller form. This is an assemble it all at once form as opposed to the methods presented on the F1D Blog (thef1dblog.wordpress.com). Different strokes for different folks. Not the rib centerline marking cuts. Trying to make this as user friendly as possible.
IMG_20180306_214252598.jpg

My final hat trick so far has been to build a prop covering jig. It needs some minor refinement but is looking good so far. Unfortunately it came out too narrow so I'll have to cut another. This one will be fine for covering F1D props though, so I'll keep it around for myself.
IMG_20180306_214304297.jpg

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
so those big pieces of balsa are a template for the covering film?

Not to steal FAI-F1D's thunder . . . but those are templates for making the skeletons for the surfaces. The outer surface edge (balsa/carbon/boron/whatever) is run around the edge, glued into a loop and the ribs are glued on at the notches. pop them free of the templates when dry and you've got the bones of your new craft.

The film is attached to a square frame (like the microfilm, just not as fragile), then the bones are dusted *LIGHTLY* with spray adhesive and pressed into the tensioned film. Trim the excess film away (soldering iron) and the completed surface (wing/stab/blade) is ready to go.

I've never done anything this elaborate (few have) but I've used quite a few of these steps before . . . with the first at FAI-F1D's guidance. He's going for an unusual crazy strong/light/large balance here, but the steps he's showing off are surprisingly simple in practice . . . assuming you are merely going for "it flies great", instead of "looks like a new record". It's that last few percent of performance that makes it complicated and burns the brains out ;)

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Not to steal FAI-F1D's thunder . . . but those are templates for making the skeletons for the surfaces. The outer surface edge (balsa/carbon/boron/whatever) is run around the edge, glued into a loop and the ribs are glued on at the notches. pop them free of the templates when dry and you've got the bones of your new craft.

The film is attached to a square frame (like the microfilm, just not as fragile), then the bones are dusted *LIGHTLY* with spray adhesive and pressed into the tensioned film. Trim the excess film away (soldering iron) and the completed surface (wing/stab/blade) is ready to go.

I've never done anything this elaborate (few have) but I've used quite a few of these steps before . . . with the first at FAI-F1D's guidance. He's going for an unusual crazy strong/light/large balance here, but the steps he's showing off are surprisingly simple in practice . . . assuming you are merely going for "it flies great", instead of "looks like a new record". It's that last few percent of performance that makes it complicated and burns the brains out ;)

wow!

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
I have nothing to add to what Craftydan said. He explains this stuff much better than I do.

I cut a new prop covering fame. This one fits.
IMG_20180307_215650059.jpg

Here's a look at the (mostly) completed tooling; I still need to cut the outboard rib slots to accommodate those compression ribs.
IMG_20180307_223823752.jpg

Hope and I spent last night building the giant box, or "airplane coffin" as we call these in the hobby. It's a moniker reserved for what's needed to house unlimited class giants like this one. We used Hobby Lobby foamboard which is excellent for this purpose, being nice and durable. A properly designed box is absolutely critical for a model of this type. Transportation is obviously no easy task and requires careful planning. I still don't understand how Aurel Popa got his into the US when he visited Tustin back in 2010.
IMG_20180308_202655413.jpg

Here we have the completed box with the tooling. Notice the big prop block, courtesy of Ground Loop, and the wing covering frame I assembled from pine stripwood. The stab frame will come later.
IMG_20180308_212118087.jpg

And a look at the box all closed up. The lid is a little tight but not bad. I'll install velcro hold-downs to keep it secure outdoors, and a couple of handles for convenient carrying.
IMG_20180308_212314682.jpg

NighthawkGliders

Enjoy Flight & Enjoy Life
Josh,

This is super-awesome project and I'm glad it's all coming together!

Say, are you bringing this gentle beast to West Baden?
If so, we wish it safe travels and hope to see it.

It'll be my first time spectating a free-flight event and should prove to be quite interesting, entertaining, and educational for me. We're looking forward to meeting up with you there-- it should be fun.