Futaba FASST vs. Spektrum DSM2/X

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Hey guys,

my modelsavings have increased a bit and the DX6i won´t have enough saving for it in a year or so and I wanted to just get some more knowledge about those two systems in comparison to each other.

As far as I know Spektrum is good but Futaba is better.

Pros for Spektrum:
- Awesome design
- cheap orange rx clones are available
Cons for Spektrum:
- Range (at least I have a more limited range than most of you do)

Pros for Futaba:
- Okay desing
- much safer than Spektrum (from what I heared so far)
Cons for Futaba:
- expensive, I don´t know about any cheap clones for the FASST system yet and I don´t really know the system.

Just wanted to hear about what you heared and what you use for which purposes.
Of course I´ll never stick a Spektrum receiver into a jet turbine and I am never going to get one (well I think :) ) but what do you think about this?

BTW does anyone know which radio David Windestal uses? I think it is Futaba.

Oh yeah and one further question:
I want to get a radio soon but that should last me for a very long while because I really can´t be asked to keep looking into TX systems. So one tx forever! (at least for a few years)

And a possibility would also be to get a DSM2/X module for the TX so I can still use both systems

Last edited:

JoeyG

I have a limited understanding but the way I see it, it comes down to what sort of flying you want to do.. I was looking at a Futaba yet went with a Spektrum. I choose the Spektrum for its features and price, the only short comings I see with the Radio I have is range. Plenty for park flying which is all I'm doing but I fear it would fall short for FPV.

J.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
I think there are orange RX FASST compatible receivers at HobbyKing?
I don't personally know anybody that uses them.
Me? DX6i and OrangeRX 6 all the way.

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
I do not think that the technology is the problem. I suppose that you can get sufficient range with the more expensive receivers to any system and that you have to be careful with cheaper versions and clones if the system is DSM or FASST. Its probably OK with Orange FASST or DSM if you are flying parkflyers AND you are checking the range. Don’t trust that every receiver is perfect because another similar is fine.
Choosing between Spektrum and Futaba is probably like choosing between BMW and Mercedes. You have to get the feeling and go for the system that fits you. Was the World champion in F1C using DSM?
If you are going for FPV then you will probably go for something else than 2,4 if you want range.

Paintball_kidz

Big Foig
I recently switched from Spektrum to Futaba fasst, my reasons are...

Better range
More reliable
Faster response time
Cheaper full range receivers

If you look at most the imac & freestyle pilots, most of them are using Futaba fasst but also using JR DSM(2)(X).

Dadde use to use futaba but he experienced Gyro problems compatibility with the futaba receiver, hes now using Hitec Aurora 9.

ananas1301

I do not think that the technology is the problem. I suppose that you can get sufficient range with the more expensive receivers to any system and that you have to be careful with cheaper versions and clones if the system is DSM or FASST. Its probably OK with Orange FASST or DSM if you are flying parkflyers AND you are checking the range. Don’t trust that every receiver is perfect because another similar is fine.
Choosing between Spektrum and Futaba is probably like choosing between BMW and Mercedes. You have to get the feeling and go for the system that fits you. Was the World champion in F1C using DSM?
If you are going for FPV then you will probably go for something else than 2,4 if you want range.

Yeah thats true but I wanted to stay with 2,4Ghz for the RC connection because for my purposes I´ll just do FPV in a closer range but still the current range of the DX6i I use wouldn´t be enough.

I just had a look at what David Windestal uses. If you go his videos you can see which tx and rx he used. For the first couple of videos he had a Futaba 7C but then for the rest up to the newer ones he has used and is still using (so I assume) is a Hitec Aurora 9. I had a look at it and it actually looks quite nice. At least it looks nicer then most of the Futaba tx´s. It also has a lot of features but therefore has its unbelievable price of about 380€ (I think). But I think there aren´t any clones out of the AFHSS (that is the system used with Hitec tx and rx´s)

I might have to look for some module to be able to use both DSM (for my current receiver and just to be able to get some cheap receivers from HK for smaller range planes) and then just one or two of the good ones for the range I need in FPV.

Does anyone have any other suggestions of what might be good in my case here to choose? The only thing I need to decide now is which of the Futaba I would choose. And then if I should go for the Futaba or the Hitec Tx´s.

I just want to build up everything correctly right from the start because if I´ll buy a DX7 and then another one for better range and all that I will have different radios to carry around or I will have to keep buying more and more stuff and in total it would be cheaper to have one good one from the beginning! (At least that is the way I am thinking)

I´ll look into the Tx´s over time now and tell whats going on.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
The Aurora 9 is likely worth consideration. I have friends who use them and they never complain.
Hitec also has excellent customer service.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Lock out is a term used to explain a lack of communication between the transmitter and the receiver.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I have a limited understanding but the way I see it, it comes down to what sort of flying you want to do.. I was looking at a Futaba yet went with a Spektrum. I choose the Spektrum for its features and price, the only short comings I see with the Radio I have is range. Plenty for park flying which is all I'm doing but I fear it would fall short for FPV.

J.
Spektrum for park fliers only seems to be the consensus at my local club. I fly only Spektrum though and haven't had a problem with line of sight flight even with larger models. The guys at my club on the other hand won't fly anything but Futaba/JR for large planes. But like JoeyG said, I'd never use Spektrum for FPV.

ananas1301

Lock out is a term used to explain a lack of communication between the transmitter and the receiver.

Okay thanks Fred :)

Now I got it. Now the only question is which radio to get.

I think I´ll need to go to a local hobby store and just hold all of them in my hands! Because that way I can look which radio bests suits me in terms of what size and how heavy.