Going from 3 to 4 channel

Spacefarer

I have been flying 3 channel on my tiny trainer for about a month now and I understand fully how to use it and make corrections, but as soon as I put on the aileron wing and tested it out I did a nosedive into the dirt. Is there a way to gauge when I should start flying 4 channel?

jaredstrees

No gauge. Just keep trying. Make sure your ailerons are level with the trailing edge of the wing. Build fly crash repeat my friend. It is a learning experience. Try adding in a little up elevator and make sure you give her a good toss at 3/4 throttle. Good luck!

Bricks

Master member
When changing over to the aileron wing are you changing your receiver inputs to the correct channel? When going 4 channel ailerons go where the rudder was, and double check out puts are correct giving left control and the appropriate aileron response.

jtrops

If it is really nose diving I would double check your center of gravity. If you toss it to a friend across the yard does it fly alright with a good throw?

After that my second thought mirrors what Bricks said. What radio are you using? What channel order does it use? My radio is AETR, so it is Ailerons on channel 1, and Rudder on channel 4. As long as you put the rudder on the "R" channel of your radio you should be good to go.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I have been flying 3 channel on my tiny trainer for about a month now and I understand fully how to use it and make corrections,

Assuming you have the channels setup correctly on your Rx (as earlier posters said) then you are ready for 4-channel because it sounds like you have mastered (-ish) the 3 channel. But you should expect to start another learning curve as your get to grips with using the ailerons which will mean some time repairing (or rebuilding) you plane.

Best of luck!

DamoRC

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with the others, your ailerons could be out of alignment or not hooked up correctly and your CG may have changed. All good things to checkout. Another possibility, it could be just the wing.

FB wings are fast and easy to build, I've built well over 50. Not a single one of them are identical. They all have slight differences that will not become apparent until you fly them. I think you "aileron wing" is just different to your first wing. It's going to require a different trim to fly.

If none of the above are the issue. You may just need to trim your plane to fly with this wing.

Bricks

Master member
What radio are you using on my Spektrum I have to go in and specify wing type and it makes the necessary changes to channel order and how they work.

FDS

Elite member
Also set the ailerons to very low rates and add at least 30-50% expo. I found it really easy to wing over into the ground on launch before I did that.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
First I would convert it back to a 3ch to make sure that it isn't an issue with the 4ch wing. Secondly I would make sure that your control surfaces are moving the way they should. When you turn left your left aileron will go up and vice versa. Good luck with learning to fly 4ch! There are so many cool tricks to master with 4ch...I'm still learning some new ones!

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Assuming you have the channels setup correctly on your Rx (as earlier posters said) then you are ready for 4-channel because it sounds like you have mastered (-ish) the 3 channel. But you should expect to start another learning curve as your get to grips with using the ailerons which will mean some time repairing (or rebuilding) you plane.

Best of luck!

DamoRC

Lots of good stuff here. If you can fly the wings off of it on 3 chan, you are definitely ready to transition to 4 chan. Congratulations! There is absolutely no good reason for it to nosedive on you just because you are trying to 4 chan. You have a setup or structural problem.

Throttle and rudder on left stick. Aileron and elevator on right stick. Give your control surfaces a good and thoughtful check. Make sure you have it right before launching. Good luck. You'll get it!

Reactions: FDS

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The sport wing is notorious for requiring greater speed to fly. If you are still following this thread could you consider a few pics of the build and its all up weight. If your TT is a tad heavy and the sport wing is fitted it is possible that you are not reaching flying speed on launch and of course it will nose dive to the ground.

I deliberately increase the incidence angle of the sport wing when fitting it to be used by a student pilot so that it has greater lift and better/slower flight characteristics. I decrease the incidence angle in increments until the student is able to handle the low lift characteristics of the sport wing.

Just what works here!

Have fun!