Greetings from Denmark

thjorth

Hi there.

My 11-year old son has recently started wanting to fly RC planes. I wanted the same when I was a kid but nothing ever came of that.

This time I am seriously thinking about starting both he and myself up. Needless to say I have stumbled on this incredible community. I really love what you are doing here. Although I think we will start with something like an Eflite Apprentice I am already thinking about foam planes once we have learnt the basics. In fact we have already started dipping our toes a bit as I managed to find two EZ Packs in Europe and we have built a plank after a plan I found here. It's awesome and my son is already getting the hang of it :)

I look forward to joining your community :)

BR Thomas

thjorth

Here is our Filur 5000. Yeah, as suspected the wheels were too heavy but the plane fixed itself by breaking them off after three attempts at getting it airborne :)

Attachments

• IMG_20220629_152831.jpg
    IMG_20220629_152831.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220629_152753.jpg
    IMG_20220629_152753.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 0

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Welcome to the Forums and the community. That is a great look on the plank. Those little EZs are great to start with. If you have any questions, ask away. We'll try to help.

I am a host of a family-friendly podcast called, the Aviation RC Noop Podcast. It is one among a number of Great, fun and informative things to listen to while you travel from place to place. click on the image to go to the website. Or search "aviationRCNoob" in your favorite aggregator. I found these invaluable in keeping me engauged when things got tough.

Other Podcast names to look for are FliteTestCommunityCast, FT Afterhours a.k.a. RC Afterhours, RC Lawn chair Pilots, RC Plane Lab Podcast, Park flyer Podcast among others.

1656590995268.png

thjorth

So we got our Apprentice and got to put five batteries through it last weekend. After those five batteries my 11-year old is now comfortable landing and taking off in begginer mode, flying in intermediate mode occasionally going to expert mode to do a loop.

For the last two batteries I flew only in expert mode.

It's not like we are prodigies or anything. More likely it is a testament to the usefulness of practicing on a flight sim before taking to the field. According to Steam I have put in about 40 hours on RealFlight 9.5.

Anyway, I am starting to amass the stuff needed for us doing our first scratch build :)

Yankee2003

So we got our Apprentice and got to put five batteries through it last weekend. After those five batteries my 11-year old is now comfortable landing and taking off in begginer mode, flying in intermediate mode occasionally going to expert mode to do a loop.

For the last two batteries I flew only in expert mode.

It's not like we are prodigies or anything. More likely it is a testament to the usefulness of practicing on a flight sim before taking to the field. According to Steam I have put in about 40 hours on RealFlight 9.5.

Anyway, I am starting to amass the stuff needed for us doing our first scratch build :)

The Apprentice is an awesome trainer. I might be bias but it is the one I learned on. It was in such good shape when I was ready to move on that I was able to pass it along to a club member to use as well. Credit to the club flight instructor.
Welcome to the forums my friend.

FishbonesAir

Hi there.

My 11-year old son has recently started wanting to fly RC planes. I wanted the same when I was a kid but nothing ever came of that.

This time I am seriously thinking about starting both he and myself up. Needless to say I have stumbled on this incredible community. I really love what you are doing here. Although I think we will start with something like an Eflite Apprentice I am already thinking about foam planes once we have learnt the basics. In fact we have already started dipping our toes a bit as I managed to find two EZ Packs in Europe and we have built a plank after a plan I found here. It's awesome and my son is already getting the hang of it :)

I look forward to joining your community :)

BR Thomas
Welcome aboard!