Hello from Germany

Dracos-Carazza

Hi everyone,

I am Matthias from Braunschweig Germany. I just finished my first FliteTest based plane and it is a FT Mini Arrow. Round about 17 years ago, when I was 14 I tried to get into the RC hobby with a Protech Alpha 180 and it flew very well. the problem was, that I had spend all my money to get one and after the first crashes, I went out of money. After repairing it (which took several months), I was too afraid of crashing again, so it stayed under my working desk.
In 2007 I saw a quadrocopter for the first time and since than I wanted to build one by my self. As I was a student (electric engineering), again there was no money in my pockets. So it took over a year to save ~700€ for my first flying quadrocopter. I did all the SMD soldering by my self (flight control and ESCs), as I couldn't afford a pre-soldered PCBs. Again this took a long time. On the other hand I learned a lot about the internals. So that I'm now a contributor of an open source UAV project, where I mostly work on low level driver stuff and the underlying operating system architecture of the flight controller.

Debugging and programming a freshly soldered prototype PCB
IMG_8743.jpg
IMG_8744.jpg

My 6" Copter (used for FPV stuff and prototyping)
IMG_8803.jpg

My 10" Fun Copter (used for casual flying)
helga_new.jpg

Especially the 10" copter was modified several times over the years, but it basic frame was always a piece of carbon-fiber and some aluminium square tubes. One big advantage of the frame was always, that only the aluminium square tubes broke of on a crash. So crashing hard, cost me only a few € for a new square tube and a few minutes to install them ;)

Now after several years of flying multirotors, I will try to give the "classical" RC hobby a second chance :)
... and perhaps I will also bring my old Alpha 180 back to live

Best regards
Dracos-Carazza

Last edited:

oOFutteOo

Hello and welcome from Denmark. That sounds a bit like my storry exsept i just lerning to fly the multi rotors. But i tried to get into the hobby i the erly 90. And i could not aford it. Now i have lernt to fly with a FT flyer and are building a 120% Explorer. And i have build a coupel of models for frinds. And now im experimenting with a tricopter based on David windestals design.