Help with my first RC Plane FPV build

joshparkerni

So I've been rather interested in the idea of rc planes lately after stumbling upon several channels such as flite test and BMSWEB. I don't have a lot of money to spare, so my budget is pretty limited. I was hoping I could build a Mini Skywalker with FPV for around £100. I have next to no experience with RC planes other than having a small kit built one years ago that crashed on its maiden flight. I hope someone will be able to direct me what parts I will need to build up this craft within my budget. I will be working with GBP and I live within the UK so bare that in mind. Thanks in advance :)

Revere

You need to learn to fly before you should start worrying about FPV or your video is always going to be short and show a lot of nothing but the ground.
A decent transmitter is going to knock you back a fair chunk over your £100 budget into the bargain. But thats the most costly thing, after shelling out for that you can build planes for £50 or less then after you've learned how to fly you can strap on some cheap FPV gear off of ebay for maybe another £50.
However once you've gotten proficient at FPV then you will want better gear, and more stable platforms etc, and you will find yourself saving the pennies to upgrade.

In short - keep it simple, learn to fly before thinking about FPV. You'll spend less cash and you'll have a better idea on wether or not you want to keep it up as a hobby.

Out of curiosity, does the ni in your name stand for Northern Ireland? If so and you're anywhere near Belfast, take a trip up to Nutt's Corner on a Sunday (right beside where the market is, out near the International Airport), thats where you'll find the local RC plane enthusiasts and they can give you a ton of advice and tips. Just turn up and they'll talk your arm off, sometimes they even bring trainers and buddy gear so that walk-ins can have a try. (Actually it seems like they no longer fly on Sundays, they're there every other day of the week though).

Here's their website, on it theres a map to show the flying location. http://www.ulstermodelaircraftclub.org.uk/.

Last edited:

joshparkerni

You need to learn to fly before you should start worrying about FPV or your video is always going to be short and show a lot of nothing but the ground.
A decent transmitter is going to knock you back a fair chunk over your £100 budget into the bargain. But thats the most costly thing, after shelling out for that you can build planes for £50 or less then after you've learned how to fly you can strap on some cheap FPV gear off of ebay for maybe another £50.
However once you've gotten proficient at FPV then you will want better gear, and more stable platforms etc, and you will find yourself saving the pennies to upgrade.

In short - keep it simple, learn to fly before thinking about FPV. You'll spend less cash and you'll have a better idea on wether or not you want to keep it up as a hobby.

Thanks for the advice. I guess that would make sense. Ill try to get a simple RC setup before I attach FPV.