Herr J-3 Cub w/Floats Build

jsknockoff

Mentor
I cracked open the box on the J-3 today to see what all I would need to order to be ready for this year’s Fall Balsa Build. The wood all appears to be packaged well and usable. The plane is designed for 1/2A glow but will be built as an electric. The float kit looks very complete and well designed also. It is most definitely a sport scale and I’m not going to go above and beyond with any sort of attempts at scale features. Here are a few teaser pics.

Attachments

• 6694E0E5-B251-4DED-A96B-00FE0D9823F8.jpeg
    6694E0E5-B251-4DED-A96B-00FE0D9823F8.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 831B5E10-F152-4B54-A742-1031F0337094.jpeg
    831B5E10-F152-4B54-A742-1031F0337094.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1

jsknockoff

Mentor
Lol, yeah I noticed that too. I think I’m going to delete that on mine.

On a different note, I just realized my second picture loaded upside down.

jsknockoff

Mentor
Ordered most of the hardware and accessories I need for the Cub from Tower Hobbies today. A Sig Wonder may have found its way into the cart...

jsknockoff

Mentor
Well I might just pop the cork a little early, there is a big rain event heading for the mid Atlantic this weekend so perfect building weather. I pinned down the wing plan and started to pull some of the parts out that I’ll need. I’m thinking this one will go together pretty fast because it’s a pretty basic airframe. So far the materials seem too notch.

7C939AEE-DE9B-42BA-B675-9DD839229F13.jpeg

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I can't believe there are multiple people admitting to starting their builds early! :( You should follow my lead and just not admit it! :)

jsknockoff

Mentor
I can't believe there are multiple people admitting to starting their builds early! :( You should follow my lead and just not admit it! :)

I thought about keeping it a secret but I know once the Titebond starts flowing I won’t be able to help posting pics of the skeleton.

jsknockoff

Mentor
C7CBCF0E-F384-41E6-BED2-4B284AAF2463.jpeg
586E86BD-6F73-4D47-AE3B-1E88A16E65E9.jpeg

Started building over the weekend, completed the center section of the wing and started attatching the bottom spar.

jsknockoff

Mentor
Made some more progress on the wing. I’m about as far as I can go until I get the fuse framed up to use for reference to mounting points. I have to finish sheeting the center section then I’ll be moving on the the fuselage.

800160C6-5C75-452E-9042-A5469C9340BD.jpeg

jsknockoff

Mentor
One change I may make to the plan is to add some shear webbing a little further out than the two bays that the plans call for. The wing seems a little flexible and just a few more webs would make a drastic difference.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
One change I may make to the plan is to add some shear webbing a little further out than the two bays that the plans call for. The wing seems a little flexible and just a few more webs would make a drastic difference.

Even considering the very minor weight-penalty that's not a bad idea. Obviously the covering will strengthen things up a bit, but since you'll have it on floats the strength is welcome.

Geeto67

Posting Elsewhere
love that there is a tail wheel on it, even though it's a floatplane.

Scale detail - about half of the full-size converted cubs still have theirs because removing it requires an A&P to sign off on it as a modification to the airframe. Instead most guys just remove the wheel itself and leave the tail wheel strut because that doesn't require sign off. Some of the really old flat setups not only leave the strut but bolt a yoke to it so they can run steering cables directly to the rudders on the floats for low speed steering.

Nice looking buildup.

Last edited:

jsknockoff

Mentor
That’s some interesting info, if I were going more scale with this the yoke with steering cables would be a cool addition.

jsknockoff

Mentor
Pushed through the rest of the sheeting on the wing yesterday so it’s as far as it can go. I started gluing up the sides of the fuse last night and this morning. So far I am really happy with the quality of the kit. It seems like the balsa was hand picked for each application, could just be good luck I guess.

I’m really starting to get cub fever, lol. I wish I had a big enough flying site near by to build a 1/4 scale on floats. I really like the look with the floats.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Pushed through the rest of the sheeting on the wing yesterday so it’s as far as it can go. I started gluing up the sides of the fuse last night and this morning. So far I am really happy with the quality of the kit. It seems like the balsa was hand picked for each application, could just be good luck I guess.

I’m really starting to get cub fever, lol. I wish I had a big enough flying site near by to build a 1/4 scale on floats. I really like the look with the floats.

Although I own a set of floats for my 1/4 scale Cubs I haven't tried them yet (the floats needed to be re-built). It would certainly require a fair amount of space!