Hey folks! Total noobie here from the UK.

WyreUK

Hey folks how is everyone?

My name is Tim and I'm live in Macclesfield, Cheshire in the UK. I've always wanted to get into rc but never had the time or money to do so. But I've been ill for over a year now waiting for an op and I've spent most of my time on YouTube and such. But my best friend Jay is a totally wwii plane freak so we decided it was time we both got into rc. So I was researching and trawling the net and stumbled upon you guys by accident.

I was so feckin amazed! It totally blew me away at what the guys at flite test are doing and what this community is doing. The free plans and build videos are out of this world. You have given me and Jay so much inspiration! We are staying or builds of the tiny trainer flowing Josh Bixter's advice about where to start to learn. We are both already practicing on the rc sims. I've been looking through this forum and I can't believe the quality of the community. Thank you all so much for lighting a fire inside two middle aged old bikers! We are so excited to build these planes and learn properly because we so want to build and fly some of the amazing designs that you are all sharing on here! Damn i want a P38! Lol

Once again thanks for having us and we will be asking lots of questions trust me lol

Cheers folks

Tim

slbovey

Hi from the South West of UK :)

Our foamboard is different (heavier) from the US kind but with a few alterations they tend to work.
I started with the FT Flyer - i'd recommend that as an easy build / easy fly / easy fix plane

cheers

Simon

Bricks

Master member
Welcome to the forums and the world of RC. Great advice above easy to repair is huge just starting out LOL.

teddydbest

Welcome to the forums Tim! Im new here as well but I have a couple months of experience flying RC. Im excited to see what kind of designs you and your buddy come up with. keep us all posted!

Cheers!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Thank you all so much for lighting a fire inside two middle aged old bikers! We are so excited to build these planes and learn properly because we so want to build and fly some of the amazing designs that you are all sharing on here!

How wonderful it is to "hear" the excitement in your voice - Welcome!

DamoRC

WyreUK

Hi folks I'm sorry for this late reply, I've been ill for over a year now and my mental health isn't the best and i struggle with things like this lol! Man i want to thank you all for the huge welcome! Thank you!

We'll I've scratched built a couple of planes so far
Nutball
FT Flyer
Simple Scout (its now bent and battered and the wings are on sideways but some hot glue and tape will get it flying again hehehe)

Just started on the mini sportster. But I am also designing my own. They kinda belong I the dieselpunk world and I've no idea if they will fly but ill post video and pictures of them when they are finished and if they work the plans for them as well. Building them helps so much with my mental health, as well as watching the FT videos (I've nearly watched every single one now lmao)

I am struggling to get over the fear off crashing the planes! I want to fly so much, I need it, my blood pounds I need it so much, but I cant get over the fear off crashing and every time I take off I slam the throttle shut and the plane slams into the ground! Its killing me! 😢😭😦😭

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Welcome to Flite Test mate.

This place has a way of brightening the world inside ones head between the cool videos that suck you in down to the inspiration and support from this awesome community. It pulled me out of a very dark place too. Perpetual pain takes its toll for sure my friend. Instead of waking up and having the first decision I make is to go on for another day it has become whats the weather like and can I fly today, or if I know the weather will be bad what needs fixing or what can I build today.

You just gotta keep trying and slog thru that first muddy patch to get in the air. once that happens it gets better and better. Just don't quit.

daxian

Elite member
hey wyreuk...
stop ....worrying ...start flying !
if you crash you crash ,its part of the fun !! rebuild ,learn what went wrong ...try again !!
the ft planes are very durable ,a little tape ,a little hot glue and they are ready to fly again .
if not, build another !!! simple !
different thing when you are buying ready built planes and spending hundreds of pounds ...even then everything is fixable .
push to the sky and enjoy !!!

WyreUK

Once again thanks for the inspiration my friends! I can already see that you don't just join a forum here, you join a family! 😁

johnreto

welcome to the hobby WyreUK
Caution, its addictive lol. no need to be "scared" to fly, practice makes perfect, and if you crash, you get to build some more hehe.
keep trying and soon you'll have a perfect take-off and landing flight. at the beginning when I maidend a plane for the first time i would also
have my knees shaking. Even after the first couple flights and I knew how it flew and behaved i would still have wobbly knees hehe. but after a while and many flights you get used to it.
Hope you have some good flights and show us some pics n videos.

danbob

I'm a noob in the UK too and had the same problem with backing off the throttle, you just need to force yourself not to. It also took me a while to fly the plane at a decent height, i'm scared of heights and seemed to induce the same feeling so ended up keeping the plane at about 20ft, thankfully i've got past that now but has taken a good 4/5 months. i'm still just flying in circles mostly with the odd loop or role then end up scaring myself. stick with it, it gets easier :)

The ft spitfire is also a great build and pretty easy to fly once you get to grips with everything and not too hard to put together, hardest part is finding decent cheap foamboard in uk.
Good luck dude :)

WyreUK

Hey Danbob where abouts in the UK are you?

Also I get my foam board off eBay, my last lot cost £25 for 10 A1 sheets.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I am struggling to get over the fear off crashing the planes! I want to fly so much, I need it, my blood pounds I need it so much, but I cant get over the fear off crashing and every time I take off I slam the throttle shut and the plane slams into the ground! Its killing me! 😢😭😦😭

You'll get there - just stick with it. The fear of wrecking the plane drives the instinct to throttle back at the second the plane becomes squirrely but you will get to the point where you will instinctively lash on the power to get out of trouble.

For me, a perfect example of this is wilmracer's maiden of his T38. Watch the first 30 seconds of this - if he cut the power that plane would have been wrecked.

danbob

I'm down in sunny Suffolk. £25 for 10 sheets sounds like a good price, think i paid £16 for 4 sheets last time from hobbycraft.
I have just tried some hobbyking 10mm foam, is very cheap (about £27 for 20 sheets of 1000mmx700m, less for 5mm), its very soft and has no paper, but cuts and sands well, I've just been putting another ftspitfire together using it to make a solid fuselage and has worked out well so far (wings are 5mm hobbycraft).
Do you have a link to the stuff you bought? i'm out of 5mm and think the hobbyking foam is maybe a bit soft for the wings

Attachments

• IMG_20180502_184919.jpg
    IMG_20180502_184919.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0