HOW TO CHANGE THE SHAFT DIRECTION OF NTM SERIES MOTOR

sai vikas

Can you say me how to change the shaft direction of a ntm series motors...as we get the shaft as a pusher in default :)
How to make the motor like the shaft that comes to other motors...

vk2dxn

With the ntm motors you can get an accessory's pack that adds a bolt on shaft to the rotor housing

sai vikas

The problem is not regarding that....usually the motor defaultly comes as a motor that suits for a pusher model...but we cannot use it for a tractor model in that way

Billchuck

The direction the motor turns depends on how it is connected to the ESC. If it is turning the wrong way, swap any two of the three connections between them and it will turn the other way.

sai vikas

sorry if i was wrong gramatically wrong

ntm.jpeg ntm chane.jpeg ntm change.jpeg ntm change 2.jpeg turnigy.jpeg
The direction the motor turns depends on how it is connected to the ESC. If it is turning the wrong way, swap any two of the three connections between them and it will turn the other way.
I have said that how change the shaft from front to back i.e for tractor one you can see the picture where it shows the motor default from factory and other one turnigy which is one i want like for ntm series motors....And also other picture shows the changed ntm motors. i would like to request flitetest guys to make up a video as a viewer response which would be very much use full

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Sai,

whetehr the prop is on the same side of the motor as the firewall or on the opposite side does not change the motor from a pusher to a tractor. That has more to do with what direction the prop is pointed and which way it's spinning than which side the shaft comes out of.

While I can appriciate you wanting to move the protruding portion of the shaft from one side of the motor to the other, for most motors this is a difficult task. It usually involves a good vice/press and pin punch to press the shaft out of and back into it's berrings. After you've accomplished all that, sometimes you'll *still* fail because there aren't grooves on both sides for the retaining clips to be reinstalled after reversing -- You can't *always* reverse the shaft!

So what *can* you do? Learn to work around it. This motor has an optional bolt-on adaptor (as seen in the second, third and fourth picture -- those aren't "swapped" shafts) that will work splendidly on a pusher or tractor mount, so long as you can allow the shaft to pass through the firewall without binding. if you can't pass the long shaft through, a dremel with a cutoff wheel will make the longer shaft into a short one.

Again whether the motor is pushing or pulling (tractor) depends on which way the prop is pointing, and what direction it spins. You can always reverse the direction a brushless motor spins and flip the prop to trade between the air blowing toward or away from the motor.

Last edited:

sai vikas

Sai,

whetehr the prop is on the same side of the motor as the firewall or on the opposite side does not change the motor from a pusher to a tractor. That has more to do with what direction the prop is pointed and which way it's spinning than which side the shaft comes out of.

While I can appriciate you wanting to move the protruding portion of the shaft from one side of the motor to the other, for most motors this is a difficult task. It usually involves a good vice/press and pin punch to press the shaft out of and back into it's berrings. After you've accomplished all that, sometimes you'll *still* fail because there aren't grooves on both sides for the retaining clips to be reinstalled after reversing -- You can't *always* reverse the shaft!

So what *can* you do? Learn to work around it. This motor has an optional bolt-on adaptor (as seen in the second, third and fourth picture -- those aren't "swapped" shafts) that will work splendidly on a pusher or tractor mount, so long as you can allow the shaft to pass through the firewall without binding. if you can't pass the long shaft through, a dremel with a cutoff wheel will make the longer shaft into a short one.

Again whether the motor is pushing or pulling (tractor) depends on which way the prop is pointing, and what direction it spins. You can always reverse the direction a brushless motor spins and flip the prop to trade between the air blowing toward or away from the motor.
can u please make any video regarding the solution..
..It will be much better to watch than reading!

Last edited:

vk2dxn

To change from pusher to pull all you have to do is turn the prop upside down (180deg).
It doesn't matter what end the shaft is mounted.
If you want the ntm motor (top right photo) then purchase the accessory pack as well. The accessory pack adds the motor shaft (silver shaft that the prop is mounted to in top right photo).
Hope this helps.
If you tell me what ntm motor you are intersted in I can post link for parts to buy.

Paul

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
can u please make any video regarding the solution..
..It will be much better to watch than reading!

I'm sorry Sai, I don't make how-to videos. you'll have to read.

If you're using this motor:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14342__NTM_Prop_Drive_Series_35_36A_1400Kv_550W.html

Get this adapter:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14501__NTM_Prop_Drive_35_Series_Accessory_Pack.html

The adapter bolts onto the bell of the motor (the part that spins).

Mount the prop on the adapter, and either cut a hole in the firewall for the shaft, or carefully trim the shaft using a Dremel and cutoff wheel.

Billchuck

To change from pusher to pull all you have to do is turn the prop upside down (180deg).
It doesn't matter what end the shaft is mounted.

Nope. If you turn the prop over, you just get a less efficient prop pulling in the same direction. You have to get a reversed prop (a "pusher" prop) to get reverse thrust from the same installation. However, if you switch two wires (on a brushless motor) it will turn the opposite direction, meaning you can use a regular prop in a pusher configuration.

The side of the motor you put the prop on does matter as well. If you turn the motor around so the other end faces forward (and don't change anything else) then the direction of rotation changes. You need to change the wiring or use a reversed prop to keep the same thrust direction.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Nope. If you turn the prop over, you just get a less efficient prop pulling in the same direction. You have to get a reversed prop (a "pusher" prop) to get reverse thrust from the same installation. However, if you switch two wires (on a brushless motor) it will turn the opposite direction, meaning you can use a regular prop in a pusher configuration.

The side of the motor you put the prop on does matter as well. If you turn the motor around so the other end faces forward (and don't change anything else) then the direction of rotation changes. You need to change the wiring or use a reversed prop to keep the same thrust direction.

Bill,

I'm pretty sure that's what vk2dxn meant -- flip the prop over and reverse the motor direction and the motor blows instead of sucks, and efficiently too. (I've chatted with him enough to know he's got this part figured out ;))

A pusher isn't required in this case. "Pusher" props are set to counter-rotate, but that's more for the brushed motors -- they cannot be run reversed without wrecking the motor's brushes -- where brushless motors can simply reverse direction. Unless this motor is going on a multirotor or a brushless setup (which the NTMs aren't), either rotation of prop will do.

So long as you set the airflow going in the right direction (by setting the motor spin and pointing the prop's writing facing fresh air), the actual mount depends more on the airframe -- wired side get's screwed onto the firewall. How the prop fits on then depends on which side is open to the air.

vk2dxn

Thanks Dan
Yes that is what I was trying to say, and to back my point bill feel free to check out my build log "my tricopter builds" and you will see that I have done this on my latest build (vtail) rear motors facing down

Flynn

I've found the and problem is the retaining groove is in the middle of the shaft. To change it so the base is at the bottom like many other outrunners, the shaft needs a groove at one end. Any end, just so the retaining ring can hold everything together. My solution was to bolt the motor down to my workbench so the shaft is pointing out or up. Connect it to an esc, battery and receiver. Using the corner of something like a file, I powered up my motor and gave it some throttle. Once it was spinning, it was easy to carve another groove into one end of the shaft. Then I removed the shaft by loosening the set screw and removing the retaining c clip. I turn the shaft over and put it back through the motor. Put the c clip on the end where I cut the new groove and tightened the set screw. I then bench tested the clip in the new groove by putting a prop on it and throttling it up. Wear some eye protection just in case!

Last edited:

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
have you guy ever had problems with the retaining ring coming loose? Mine fell off and the hole motor bell, shaft, and prop came flying off in the air this weekend... to top it all off the bearings got lost too. Now I am down a motor with out a bearing :-( I did try to walk though the grass with a BIG magnet but I think the bearings are nonmagnetic so it didn't help none. It was funny for people to watch me take my magnet for a walk in the park though. lol