I am new - SO... Why join the A.M.A.??

Having just turned 60 y/o this week, I understand the need to have Insurance coverage...
Is this the only real reason to join the A.M.A.?
I have not tried to locate / join any flying clubs, as I have just completed my first airplane build, and have not attempted my maiden flight.
I live in a large town / small city outside of Kansas City. I will "GOOGLE " the area to see how many local clubs are near.

Thanks ALL, and happy flying to you!!!

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Happy (late) Birthday 56!
Insurance is only one thing of many reasons.
AMA does a lot more than only the insurance.
Flying models is older then full scale flying and there are lots more model flyers than all other aeronauts together.
Check the AMA youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBnIE7hx2BxjKsWmCpA-uDA to se some more of the things AMA does.

slyke

Most clubs require AMA membership in addition to the club membership.
They also send you a magazine and try to lobby for hobby RC fliers with all the new 'Drone' laws.
-Stephen

earthsciteach

I was not a fan of having to join the AMA just to fly an rc plane. But, in this political environment, we need to be organized to keep the FAA in check. AMA is the only entity we have at the moment to serve in that capacity.

Nerobro

A Severe Lack of Sense
And they're doing a fairly poor job of it. :-/ The ~big~ reason to join the AMA, is the insurance policy.

earthsciteach

Yes, they are. That's why this upcoming election is important. We need to put a person in place who will embrace all aspects of the hobby, not just the model builders.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
I was under the impression that the AMA insurance only covered you when flying at a site that follows all AMA rules. Would it really cover me if I was flying in a local park?

Mike

Nerobro

A Severe Lack of Sense
They have a park flying clause in the insurance. You are still insured (to a lesser extent) in park flying. (IIRC, go read your agreement)

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
I was under the impression that the AMA insurance only covered you when flying at a site that follows all AMA rules. Would it really cover me if I was flying in a local park?

Mike

It will if you are following the safety code and something happens. It is not confined to just ama fields. Also remember you have to pay first with your home owners insurance, it is supplemental after that although I hear they cover your deductible not 100% sure on that.

A member of my club once had a fly away on an 1/4 scale cub it went through the roof of a house AMA covered it because his home owners would not.

Also AMA seems the only voice to fight the FAA however they have put their member's first.. They have facilitate corrections and changes to drone laws to help hobiest so thats good. Considering the new rules its basically if you want to play on the safe side either take and pass the FAA's 107 test for 150$, or Join AMA to be on the safe side. There is confusion on both sides and you get different answers from the FAA better be safe and join the ama to make sure you are covered and have a better fighting chance if the FAA comes after you. One good thing is now the membership dates are not jan1-dec31st.. basically you get a year from the time you join or renew. That has been a change. The 75$ membership from 58$ is an ouch, however they use to raise prices every couple of years however stopped in 2003 so there was no price increase for 12 years, so it was a long time coming unfortunately..

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
We've had people's run-away planes hit cars in the parking lot that have been covered by AMA insurance. Likewise medical bills for people injured by models gone awry.

Another reason for joining the AMA is to be able to attend events that require AMA membership for insurance purposes. Events like FliteFest, and even MultiGP races!

bhursey

The Geeky Pilot
We've had people's run-away planes hit cars in the parking lot that have been covered by AMA insurance. Likewise medical bills for people injured by models gone awry.

Another reason for joining the AMA is to be able to attend events that require AMA membership for insurance purposes. Events like FliteFest, and even MultiGP races!

I remember one crashed 2 feet in-front of me when I was getting something out of my car. crashed right between the 2 cars in the 90s. The pilot was all worried about me. I was sad about his plane. LOL It was a absolutely stunning balsa glider scratch built he had for like 20 years.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
It will if you are following the safety code and something happens. It is not confined to just ama fields. Also remember you have to pay first with your home owners insurance, it is supplemental after that although I hear they cover your deductible not 100% sure on that...

Yeah, but I don't have a flight line, etc, at a park. The rules seem pretty stringent when I last read them. Personally, I would use (and have) a general umbrella policy. But, I should read the fine print on that... there is a lot!

Mike

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Yeah, but I don't have a flight line, etc, at a park. The rules seem pretty stringent when I last read them. Personally, I would use (and have) a general umbrella policy. But, I should read the fine print on that... there is a lot!

Mike

Err, sure you do, it's where you stand! My club, which is an AMA club has several fields we fly from which are registered with the AMA. Two of them are public, open use parks with no "formal" flight line.

We still have coverage and that includes incidents I mentioned of planes hitting parked cars or people.

While we do reserve the field for flying during the season, it's still open for dog walkers, families, etc to stroll through.

While we still post rules such as: http://charlesriverrc.org/newsite/Fields_davis_rules.html

This is what the field looks like from the air:

https://goo.gl/maps/djbN1FexF6D2

As you can see, there aren't well defined areas (esp compared to the link on the club website)

In practice, people generally follow the one rule which is to not walk or fly over the winch area. Other than that, pretty much anything goes. There are days when there are DLG launchers in the middle, mixed with rocket launchers, winch launched soarers, and electric park flyers mixed with multirotor pilots racing around with FPV.

Padroo

Looks like this thread is getting old but if I remember right the AMA insurance will cover stollen airplanes and RC stuff.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
If nothing else.. because even I broke down and joined and I said was not going to after getting snubbed by the local chapter. I just got my cards yesterday. AMA is required to fly at any Flite Fest so that alone is the best reason to justify having it among the many other benefits already spoken about.