I'm extremely new to this and have a few problems

Somethignweird

I'm new :)
So I bought my first FPV drone about a week ago and after a little while, I had set up everything on betalflight. I took it outside and tried to fly it but I had messed something up and ended with the battery broken (the charging wire fell into the propellers and got destroyed). About a week later, my new battery came in. I hooked it all and tried to fly. I set it outside on the ground and started to push up on the throttle. The propellers started spinning but once I the throttle got a to about half way, it the drone flipped out and crashed. I tried a second time and the same thing happened. I hooked it up to betaflight again and after a couple minutes, I thought that the gyro was messed up. I have been trying to re calibrate it but I can find nowhere where there is an option to do it :( . I've been watching as many videos as I can but I can't find out how to fix it! If you have any information about it please tell me.
One other thing is that I cannot connect my FPV goggles to the camera on the drone. I'm using the camera that came with the drone and I and following the instructions as well as I can.

Drone: Eachine Wizard x220 (the one that comes with the remote)
Goggles: Eachine VR-007

I copied everything on betaflight from this page: https://uav-review.com/eachine-wizard-x220-complete-guide

Like I said, i'm EXTREMELY new to this so I know hardly anything.

EDIT: Im using version 1.9.1 on betaflight. I found out how to calibrate the gyro but it isn't working. The 3D model on betaflight still moves the wrong way when i move the quad (When I tilt the quad forward, the quad on the screen tilts right).

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Calibrate the flight controller by setting the copter on the bench. In Betaflight on the first tab at the top should be a calibrate level button. Push it while the copter is connected and level.

This really should only calibrate the accs. When you power on your copter and set it on the ground the gyros should calibrate at that time before the FC will signal that it is ready.

If the copter simply flips from the ground and never lifts off it may be caused by a few things. Since you are not re-assembling it, I would suspect you broke some props and put them on backwards or upside down instead of having an ESC connected to the FC incorrectly or a reversed channel on your remote. Instaflip (what I think you are describing) is common and can be fixed. :)

Multirotors depend on each prop spinning a specific direction. The writing on a prop always faces up on a copter. You should have two rotors spinning clockwise CW and two CCW. Props are made to spin a specific direction. You cannot use a CCW prop on a CW spinning motor or you get a copter that flips on the ground instead of lifting off. :)

Have you checked the directions of your props? Does your copter howl (sign of a backwards prop)?

Props on backwards or upside down are common. Bad gyros not so much. I would start with the simplest first. :)

Welcome to FliteTest! If you have photos of the copter showing the prop mounts in detail and/or video of the copter behaving badly, post it. These can go a long way toward finding a solution.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Just read your original edit.

If BetaFlight sees your forward stick as right, that is root cause.

When you move your pitch stick, does Betaflight show pitch or roll in the receiver tab?

I think you have the board oriented 90 degrees from forward or you have two channels swapped in Betaflight.

Last edited:

Somethignweird

Its not a problem with controller but of the drone. And its definitly not just a movment where I don't want it to go ether. When I say it goes crazy after about an inch off the ground, I mean it. Here is what is happening.
1.I put the drone on the ground
2.I turn on the remote
3.I plug the battery into the drone.
4.I arm the drone and start pushing on throttle.
5.When the drone gets an inch off the ground it flips out. Not at all gentle.

All the switches on the remote are working just fine.
When I go onto betaflight, on the "setup" tab the screen shows the 3D model tilting right when I til it forward and vice versa.

EDIT: It won't let me put the picture in.
EDIT 2: Just read the part you added. Could you show me how to change it?

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Lets slow this just a bit. I'm at work now and can't post often at this time.

If Betaflight shows the sticks moving in directions other than what you are actually doing, that is root cause. You can configure betaflight to run TAER1234 or whatever your remote needs.

If you have the channels (TAER1234 or AERT1234 or whatever you use) right but when you roll right Betaflight shows roll left, reverse the channel on your transmitter.

Bromego

Are you controls mapped correctly? Sounds like maybe you have a stick mapped backwards? is it rolling/pitching/elevating correctly in betaflight?

Up on the stick increases the signal value.
To the right on the stick increases the value

Somethignweird

The problem is that when I tilt the drone irl the image on screen doesn't do the same thing. For me, When I tilt it right, the image of the drone tilts backward.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
At this point, when you push right on the right stick, do you see right roll in Betaflight?

When you push up on the right stick do you see up pitch in Betaflight?

When you push left on the left stick do you see left yaw in Betaflight?

When you push up on the left stick do you see up throttle in Betaflight?

If you see the wrong stick move, you need to alter your AETR1234 to something like TAER1234 to get the channels mapped right. If the proper stick moves but moves the wrong way, you need to reverse the channel in your transmitter. :)

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Ok, I see.

It's not the sticks, it's orientation of the board. I think your flight controller is rotated 90 degrees and you need to program the offset in BetaFlight. I know how to do this in CleanFlight but I am new to BetaFlight.

You should see an option in BetaFlight to set yaw to 90 or -90 depending on which way your board is facing. I typically rotate my boards so the USB is on the left side of a copter. When I do this, I tweak this setting to yaw = 90 and that tells the board how to handle the offset.

Having this wrong will cause instaflip.

Flashing the board will reset this setting.

Somethignweird

It works now! Thanks for the help! My yaw was set to 0 and I changed it to -90 and now everything works perfectly!
I was just wondering if you knew about the problem with goggles. I use the auto channel finder thing and it can't find the channel my camera is on.

Thanks for helping me with everything else tho!

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Nice!

I don't know the echine gear so I would be speculatin'. First question right off is, do you have the copter connected to a lipo when you are autosearching? Just connecting to USB won't likely power the VTX.

Also, never power the VTX on your copter unless you have the video antenna connected. Be sure you are standing back a few feet when you do the autosearch. Sometimes radios won't connect when you are too close. :)

Bromego

Is your VTX (Video transmitter) on the quad lighting up?

You should be able to see what channel it is on.

If it is then it should be working. If it is not lighting up, maybe a wire somewhere came loose.