Kapper Residence - Flite Test Flying Site

tramsgar

In the meantime I found out that there is no way to create your own flying model in Phoenix RC, you can change textures of existing ones, but that's it... There is no model 'modeler' so to speak ....

So, the batbone is not going to part of PhoenixRC soon unless they add it themselves...

No the only way to get a model in there is to follow their guide on how to take pictures of it, sent them in and hope they'll do the work for you =). Just wish the same went for flying sites, heh. I'll give it another go, too good to be skipped.

Johan

Hmm, if they would go the open source way (at least where models and fields are concerned) there would be more people involved creating 'stuff'....

I admire your endurance with the flitetest scenery, they have not made it easy ...

zev

lumpy member
and it could be a big revenue source. they could sell these community made planes and fields, and take a percentage, and give some to the maker.

win win.

tramsgar

What I would like them to do would be to give this their released internal tool Phoenix Creator an overhaul to make it workable for humans and not only colleagues. But apparently some have succeeded in using it so I guess it comes down to time, talent and endurance. Poor me.

Dodge

Hey all,
Love getting custom planes into RC Sims, once had a F5B Banana in RealFlight!
Anyway, just in the process of doing the FliteTest scratch builds in 3D, is there any preference for simulators that people are using?

Johan

Well what lacks in Phoenix creator is the ability to actually model a plane or copter, all you can do is change the paint job..
They use a proprietary file format, so there is no known way to 'hack' your own model into it ...

I've tried the flying field modeler, but also with limited success, it just is not very user friendly

Johan

Chad was so kind to provide us also with a summer pano.

Although I could not get the sky and ground to stitch (I had to resort to cloning big parts of the image), the results are flyable:

full rectangular 360 jpg (summer)
6 cubic images in one file (summer)

6 separate cubic images (summer):
Left (summer)
Front (summer)
Right (summer)
Back (summer)
Top (summer)
Bottom (summer)

The full scenery file for hell-x:

Heli-x environment file (summer) (unzip the aFliteTestSummer folder to your heli-x environment/SkyboxHD/ or equivalent directory*)

Preview:
View attachment 12533

Update: I've created a better stitch of the Spring version of the scenery, a ready to use (for heli-x simulator) can be found at:

http://www.codewerk.nl/blog/3-updated-flitetest-scenery-for-heli-x.html (click the image over there to download the zip)

The zip contains the 6 cube faces of the scenery in 4 resolutions: 1024x1024, 2048x2048 and 4096x4096.

A link to the 360x180 is also included

Preview (not clickable):

aFliteTestp.jpg

Last edited:

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Hey all,
Love getting custom planes into RC Sims, once had a F5B Banana in RealFlight!
Anyway, just in the process of doing the FliteTest scratch builds in 3D, is there any preference for simulators that people are using?

I have RF 6.5. I am not good at all at making flying sites in it, matter of fact I have never done it. Would like to have this in my Real Flight though!!!

Johan

I have RF 6.5. I am not good at all at making flying sites in it, matter of fact I have never done it. Would like to have this in my Real Flight though!!!

I don't own RF, but here is a tut:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-...are-138/3381125-importing-panos-g3-guide.html

I do have the needed 360x180 pano, but it is 25 MB (jpg), so I'll have to find a place to host it (my hosting is nearing its limits...) EDIT: updated the old (15 MB) so now the new one is downloadable from here : http://www.codewerk.nl/blog/3-updated-flitetest-scenery-for-heli-x.html
You might want to check out:

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...Test-Flying-Site&p=58826&viewfull=1#post58826

He changed the previous version into a RF scenery :)

Last edited:

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
I don't own RF, but here is a tut:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-...are-138/3381125-importing-panos-g3-guide.html

I do have the needed 360x180 pano, but it is 25 MB (jpg), so I'll have to find a place to host it (my hosting is nearing its limits...) EDIT: updated the old (15 MB) so now the new one is downloadable from here : http://www.codewerk.nl/blog/3-updated-flitetest-scenery-for-heli-x.html
You might want to check out:

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...Test-Flying-Site&p=58826&viewfull=1#post58826

He changed the previous version into a RF scenery :)

Thanks a ton Johan, I will check it out and see if I can get it in my RF!

Thanks!!!!

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
You're welcome! If you manage to do so, post your findings / results in this thread. Others might benefit :)

Johan,

Because I have never imported a field before as a jpg. I wasn't sure what it entailed.

I read the RC groups instructions and viola, there was the Kapper residence and was flying where the FliteTest boys fly!

To easy!!!

Thanks again!

(I do need to add the collision objects, but that I can do anytime!)

Johan

Aaargh this Phoenix Creator is soo buggy it makes me itch all over... The guide leaves a lot to wish for too. I'll give it a few more hours and see if there's a way to work around the kinks.

Oh, man I agree...
I just tried (like in: how hard can it be?(Should have taken your word for it...):))

Well, they made it hard to deal with ....

If it does NOT crash, and you try for medium resolution you get a black screen, might as well have it crash ..

If it DOES crash, well it crashes, so you loose al you've done ...

As a SW developer myself, this also makes me itch ...., it does nothing you'd like to achieve, more enough, it behaves differently every time I launch it.

I had a basic scenery completed, want to save it, it just HANGS on the save dialogue .... lost everything AGAIN ...

Grrrrrrr...

Johan

Oh,
great,

Now I've got a flying site created, it selects normal as user created, but the model is invisible...
Now warnings, I did set the default 1 position (which is kind of hard to do anyway ...), but no go...

Arghh, hate it when stuff does not work as expected .....

Johan

hmm, but do not reopen the previous project using the dialogue that is meant for it, because it will hang ...
Sorry for the rant, but this really is annoying

Johan

hmm, but do not reopen the previous project using the dialogue that is meant for it, because it will hang ...
Sorry for the rant, but this really is annoying

OK,I officially give up. I get the field in Phoenix RC alright (tried everything, placing the lighting, giving each type of model a starting position etc,..). I just get the field, no model whatever I try.
I give up.

I anyone wants to try: Its quite easy from the start: start the Phoenix RC modeler, choose New scenery, select the 6 front/back/left right etc images from the zip until your get it right, then try adding positions, then fail ... unless You succeed.

Good luck! :)