Largest weekly night combat in the USA

squishy

Pirate ParkFlyer
Every week, rain or shine, near Sacramento CA. There's a darkened back alley boxing ring. Where pilots equipped with special swords (mostly CTH Assassins) battle it out in the darkness and try to take each other to the ground. Around here we just call it, TNC....Thursday Night Combat...but from what I hear...It's the largest organized night combat in the country...and it happens every week. So if you are in the area, or passing through on a Thursday night...hit me up for info. I can guarantee the absolute best bang for the buck in the RC hobby and the most fun you have ever had with a bunch of nerds! There's hooting, there's yelling, there's beer and brats and even if you are not flying, it's a sight to see. Most Thursdays there's 20 to 30 pilots, and we are still growing!

News media and reporters, unwelcome!
Not AMA approved!
Fly at your own risk!!!
BYOB
PM for details, or visit: http://parkflysac.com

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Awesome im dropping someone off at the sac airport friday. Where is your clubs normal flying field?

StevetotheH

Man, the thread-title doesn't really do it justice! What a great group of people!!!

I had seen strange lights on Thurs. nights while driving I-5 on many occasions. I was mystified by the spectacle, looked like magic from the freeway. I was sure the light was coming from some group of rich kids multi-thousand dollar quadcopters. What else could snap from level flight, to a 150' vertical climb and back in a blink? I thought I knew........ I had been collecting every sub $100 quad that could be bought and only really like flying at night, my assumptions about the lights made me kinda jealous. With my addiction to lights in the sky calling ferociously, and this being my double-digit'th time seeing the lights, it was time to stop.

A dark road brought me there, at the edge of where the rush of pre-manufactured track homes and apartments ends abruptly, and a stop light for traffic that may never come cycles through endlessly, a row of SUV's, soccer vans and other non-ricer, not-typically-rich-kid-driven vehicles appear. Winds blowing steady at 10-15mph++, and cutting right to the bone, a zip of light comes over the top of the backed-in caravan like it was a calm sumer day, then another, both making the angriest sounds I had ever heard like they were late for an appointment. Still unsure of the environment, I keep the kids in the truck while I climbed up through these vehicles, and sticker bushes. As I round the back corner of this newer black f150, I see what looks like 100+ people down the line, lawn chairs sprawled out, impromptu tables made of whatever accompanying, every 5th group it seems faces are blinking red, or blue, or...... Another angry set of lights comes by as this mustached dude passes me, headed for batteries in the cab of his truck. He looked friendly enough, so I ask what the hell is going on, why are those flying lights so angry!?

Turns out he is one of the nicest strangers I have met in a dark field, at night, in years. After getting the kids, he gave me the lowdown on the mysterious angry lights, introduced me to everyone within shouting distance and in no time this place would become the reoccurring thought whenever my mind was idle.

The angry sounding lights as the gentleman explained were mostly Crashtesthobby.com "Assasin" wings, more often than not-homemade from precut EPP foam, tape, and some hot glue. According to him, to my awe, these pissed off fireflies were not expensive in the least. We were under dressed for the wind and cold, so I thanked the guy about 7 times for sharing, saved the website he gave me into my phone and thought about that sound all the way home to Chico. Here it is about two years later and full contact air combat is all I think about. The guy who runs CrashTest is super friendly and filled my Christmas wish list last year via the wife, this year will be more of the same if I've been good.

If I wasn't terrible with names I'd thank the guy that got me going by name. Hopefully sometime soon I can make it back down and thank him personally by blasting his wing out the air!

Thanks to this group in Sacremento, I have found a fun hobby, that's relatively cheap, ready made for the DIYer, and that all ages and skill levels have a place. I managed to build over 25 scatch-built foamies and 3 Assassins last year, officially an addict!!!

When I seen the title of this thread, I said, 'that sounds like Sacramento'. Thanks again!!