ForceM

Hi,

I recently bought a Sculpfun S10 laser cutter with the intention to cut my foamboard with it.
Obviously not doing my research beforehand i quickly found out that my white (both paper and core) foamboard decided to mess with being lasered.

Experiments with black (both paper and core) foamboard was pure success.
Except for the score lines and markings that you couldnt see on it.

I been trying to find different colored foamboard since but am unable to find any at all.
The only ones i can find are grey / black paper combos but all of them have white core.

Anyone with advice / links / etc that would be able to help me with this issue?
Im based in The Netherlands.

Thx in advance

ForceM

Tench745

Master member
I have a diode laser and just use it to cut the paper on the top surface. Then I go back with a knife and trace the lines to cut it out and clean up score cuts.
There are some very powerful multi-diode modules coming out that could possibly be retro-fit, but they're pretty pricey.

ForceM

I have a diode laser and just use it to cut the paper on the top surface. Then I go back with a knife and trace the lines to cut it out and clean up score cuts.
There are some very powerful multi-diode modules coming out that could possibly be retro-fit, but they're pretty pricey.
Yeah that defeats the purpose ... why use a knife when i have a laser!!

Tench745

Master member
Yeah that defeats the purpose ... why use a knife when i have a laser!!
If you have a good way of registering the foam to the laser you can cut one side, then mirror the cut file and flip the board over to cut the back. I've heard of people doing that, but the knife seemed easier to me. That's all I've got for ya I'm afraid.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Do you have air assist? That can help. Changing speed, power and number of passes can sometimes help as well as finding the optimal focus depth. 5watt was not enough to score bare white foam, 10watt I have had some success with the right conditions.

JoshuaWright

Hi,

I recently bought a Sculpfun S10 laser cutter with the intention to cut my foamboard with it.
Obviously not doing my research beforehand i quickly found out that my white (both paper and core) foamboard decided to mess with being lasered.

I been trying to find different colored foamboard since but am unable to find any at all.
The only ones i can find are grey / black paper combos but all of them have white core.

pacman full screen[/URL]

ForceM
Finding foamboard with colored cores can be a bit challenging in some regions, including the Netherlands, as the majority of foamboard typically has a white core.

hoshanaeckhart

Hi,

laser engraving
Thx in advance

ForceM
So I’m new to using laser cutters, I bought an orionmotortech 50w co2 laser off eBay and started using it last week. I noticed the laser doesn’t seem to be cutting solid lines, instead it looks dotted. Any suggestions? I know the perforated setting is not on.