Linkage stoppers.. what why and how?

ewokshoter

What is the purpose of a linkage stopper. does it funtion like a clevis? what the installation process and most importantly are they adjustable?

jtrops

The purpose is to be able to adjust the length of a push rod after installation. If you are putting "Z" bends on both ends of the push rod it can be tricky to get the length just right.

Ray K

Ray K
I'm with jtrops. The linkage stoppers can cause problems if you fail to tighten the holding screws correctly, but personally I've never had the problem. For me, they're much better than z-bends on both ends. Just take a look every once in a while to make sure they're still tight. Making the mechanical adjustments to control surfaces is much easier than trying to put additional bends in the pushrods, at least for me.

Bricks

Master member
If you do not want to use linkage stoppers you can put a U bend in the push rod at an accessible place. open and close the U bend to make adjustments.

I assume we are talking about using linkage stoppers in conjunction with the tiny gauge wire that comes with the Flite Test kits. I would strongly encourage anyone to upgrade to proper 2-56 control rods to decrease (or eliminate ) the rod flex and use threaded Kwik links to enable more precise control surface adjustments. It's a fairly inexpensive upgrade that significantly decreases some headaches.

Ray K

Ray K
I assume we are talking about using linkage stoppers in conjunction with the tiny gauge wire that comes with the Flite Test kits. I would strongly encourage anyone to upgrade to proper 2-56 control rods to decrease (or eliminate ) the rod flex and use threaded Kwik links to enable more precise control surface adjustments. It's a fairly inexpensive upgrade that significantly decreases some headaches.

Hands down, IMO, the best solution yet. I have these on some of my planes and they're great.

ewokshoter

will this work with mighty mini size planes?

jtrops

It would work, but it would be heavy. You could do the same thing using a butted bike spoke instead. Put a z-bend at the servo end, and the adjustable clevis at the control surface. A Sapim Laser spoke is 2mm's at the threaded end, and 1.5mm's in the middle. You would just cut off the J-Bend at the hub end of the spoke. The threading is already 56tpi, so the clevis should just thread on like normal.

I've convinced myself. I'm going to try this next time I need control rods. As a bike mechanic I happen to have a good supply of used spokes to repurpose.

jtrops

I got a package of R/C parts in the mail today, and immediately screwed a Great Planes plastic clevis onto a bicycle spoke. It's a tight fit, but it definitely goes on without trouble. This spoke as one that came out of a wheel I recently rebuilt, and it has some corrosion on the threads. I suspect a new spoke would go on much easier.

Anyway, now I have an unending supply of control rods.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I got a package of R/C parts in the mail today, and immediately screwed a Great Planes plastic clevis onto a bicycle spoke. It's a tight fit, but it definitely goes on without trouble. This spoke as one that came out of a wheel I recently rebuilt, and it has some corrosion on the threads. I suspect a new spoke would go on much easier.

Anyway, now I have an unending supply of control rods.

Good to know!!! I've had some issues with clevises; mostly it's some that have very soft plastic and a nylon keeper sleeve to keep it closed. Because of that (and because of what I already had on hand), I went to the linkage stopper style that FT uses. It wasn't perfect, but it worked a heck of a lot better on the front steering wheel of my ParkZone Archer than the loose plastic clevis.

That said, I may have to look at the Great planes clevises. :)

ewokshoter

So from what I gather the nylon clevises are a better choice for the mini arrow than the linkage stoppers due to weight?

some images I have found lead me to believe that linkage stoppers dont need the threading. namely this one 2013-11-12-06-52-37-jpg_1385843667.jpg is this the case?

these seem to be one of those things that really are so simple that information is fairly limited but still, id like to be 100% certain before I place an order.

jtrops

You don't need threaded rods for linkage stoppers. I use music wire that I purchased in bulk, and it works great. Occasionally I want more robust rods, and the spokes will work perfectly. The fact that they thread right into the clevis makes for an easy connection, and maybe a little lighter.

I did clean the threads of one of the broken spokes, and the clevis went on perfectly.

ewokshoter

Sadly I dont have access to wire like that. As I see it my choices for the mini arrow are too get the linkage stoppers, pushrods, and battery from FT and pay the extra 10 for shipping. Or too order a battery and these rods with clevises from amazon. is there any reason to not go for the amazon option that anyone can see just from looking at it?

jtrops

For this kind of stuff the Amazon linkage stoppers are most likely the same as any of the other ones you will find.

quimney

I get my music wire at True Value Hardware it's pretty cheap there.... I put a z-bend in the servo end, and use a linkage stopper on the control surface end. I have never felt the need to adjust one after the initial setting but the idea of getting 2 z-bends in exactly the right place scares me :)

Sadly I dont have access to wire like that. As I see it my choices for the mini arrow are too get the linkage stoppers, pushrods, and battery from FT and pay the extra 10 for shipping. Or too order a battery and these rods with clevises from amazon. is there any reason to not go for the amazon option that anyone can see just from looking at it?

www.dubro.com