Lost plane

Wizzoe

Flew yesterday.... second time with this plane....wind cought it and away she went.
I'm a new pilot and this is not going to happen again... I'm shifting to drones. I want to start building my own. I have forty years of experience in the electrical service industry. I have quite the learning curve to enjoy.

Tench745

Master member
I built a little $100 ebay special 250 quad a few years back. It was a fun little project. I wasn't aiming for anything competitive or top-of-the-line, so it was a nice couple days of off and on parts assembly. No promise it won't still fly away on you though. Now if we're talking DJI type drones, that's another kettle of fish.

nevenelestate

No Agenda FPV
I highly suggest looking on YouTube for build series by Joshua Bardwell, Painless360 and I think that the AMA has a series they've been doing recently. Lots of good info out there.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Welcome to your new addiction. Drones can be a ton of fun if you're into learning and then learning some more ;) Pro-tip: Install a beeper if you want to find crashed multirotors. They usually don't fly away, but they tend to bury themselves in whatever is handy.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Tip from someone who knows... Drones crash too, and are easy to lose in tall grass and farm fields. I'm switching from multirotors to wings, because after a while, 2-3 minute flights become a nuisance and 30 minute flights are relaxing. There are pros and cons to both. Enjoy them both. :)

Cheers!
LitterBug

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
one of worst day flying ever was i flew a new drone, then let another guy who i knew had flown many drones in past fly it. bad idea. i stood and watched as it got farther and farther away, the whole time saying "stop! just hover, stop moving!"

i was not only mad at his poor skills and my choice to allow him to fly, but i was REALLY mad that i hadn't put anything on the drone. no name, no AMA number, nothing. i thought for sure it was gone. i got lucky and found it on a road just before a huge cotton field. 20ft more i would have seen again.

everything crashes, everything can get lost. the most important thing is that you accept that fact and stop worrying. then you can start to fly. and just a rule of thumb when you loose a plane it is seldom as far off as you think, or as you remember. ;)

good luck,

me :cool:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
You might consider something like this, a lost plane finder

1593443375104.png

Wizzoe

Thank you for your time guys. I think RC in general is about having fun. I was a drug addict for 50yrs. One lost plane is a lot of new knowledge and a better experience next time out(not guaranteed) One dusting of the nose is equivalent to 3 planes no knowledge next time out is just more of the same crap. I love this hobby...I have forty years of experience in the electrical, mechanical service and want to have some fun with it. Thanks again guys.
Best regards, wizzoe.

Wizzoe

Definitely get one.... that's what I mean though, lost plane and I gain a ton of experience. I've had worse happen to me. But with the life style I had you have a bad experience and then go and do it all again..... stupid. I stopped being stupid and started having fun.
Thanks again guys. Best regards, wizzoe.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Plane, copter, whatever... eventually one will get away.

When it does, having your name and number on it seems to work really well when all else fails. It's cheap too! ;)

Welcome back from the abyss @Wizzoe.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Wait until you try and find a quad in a corn feild, hay, woods, or tall brush, best to have a plane finder on board and working.

Round here I call it making crop circles since most of my crashes out in the alfalfa field was done with my Alien. The field was always nice n level so all I had to do was head in the general direction and look for a quad size hole in the carpet. And yes after the first few times spending over an hour looking that got a LOUD beeper added.

Now its been feed corn for a few tears so I look for sawed off stalks laying over.