Love the video podcast, don't like the microphones

randyrls

Randy
I enjoy watching the video podcast, but the microphones take up way too much space and hide all your smiling faces.

Small body pack wireless headphones can be had for reasonable prices, wired sets can be had cheaply.

I like the format and watch every one.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
He's right

Randy,
When I saw the title of your post Before clicking on it I was expecting another disgruntled human who wandered in to unload their n the forum and maybe troll a bit. As I clicked I was preparing to defend the "family".

Having clicked I agree with you. I don't like having the faces of our dear hosts obscured. I'm sure they've chosen what they have for sound quality but if I had to choose with some inferior sound to gain their faces, that's what I would choose.

Maybe the microphones can be placed differently so they're not upstaging the hosts or maybe lavalier microphones would be good enough sound quality without obstructing their faces.

This teminds me of the supper table. I'm a big fan of supper as a family, getting to see and connect after a busy day with my loved ones. And as much as a nice flower centerpiece looks on the table throughout the day, I almost always move it for supper so I can see my family unobstructed while connecting.

Good gripe and I agree.
—Jim

TTF

PHD in Crashology!
I couldn't agree more. FT guys are always laughing and the mics are obstructing the facial expressions which gets the laughter going even more.
Oh and while on the subject, let all the wives take control over a video cast would be hysterical! Jen Bixler on her own was great, but imagine all of them together, GOLD! Even better put a window in the corner with the guys hearing the cast real-time and reacting.

Tench745

Master member
It's funny, I also watch Tested podcasts with Adam Savage, and this is a common complaint there too. They have yet to solve the problem, and I figure if a tech-savvy podcast like that can't/hasn't fixed it FT probably won't for a while. I generally don't watch the actual video, just have the audio in the background while I'm building or whatever.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
It's funny, I also watch Tested podcasts with Adam Savage, and this is a common complaint there too. They have yet to solve the problem, and I figure if a tech-savvy podcast like that can't/hasn't fixed it FT probably won't for a while. I generally don't watch the actual video, just have the audio in the background while I'm building or whatever.
I disagree. If the news broadcasts can do it then so can FT. I think their audio is fine when they are doing shows outside. If best audio means losing view then I'd sacrifice some audio quality to preserve the faces.

Tench745

Master member
I don't mean to say that it's not possible, or a bad idea. Losing the giant mics would be nice, even if it means a slight reduction in sound quality. I was simply saying that I doubt it will be made a priority. Hopefully I'm proven wrong.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The reason for those booms is to isolate the mic. As sensitive as they are if someone were to bump one at normal input levels that could be quite harsh on speakers. Those mics do always come with a "Table" stand but again if they bump the table moving around or happen to knock one over passing a plane around ... Just owwie.

They could however get Mr. Chad or Gargamel :)(sorry TJ you sooo remind me of him now that you shaved your head. Nice coconut btw!!) to move those mounts lower into the table frame easily enough. There is still room over the mixing board without making it too hard to get to.