Magnetic building board for balsa models

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I've seen this and others like it. I want it so bad. So so bad.

Im going to start building next winter around October or so and I decided to slowly build up my balsa building stuf over the next 9 months. So, this may be in the works for then...

RAGII

I have one, made a bunch of the fixtures. Works really well. I was lucky enough to work at a company where I could have them shear a piece of sheet metal and get it painted.

Works for foam models as well, Use a couple of fixtures to hold that 90 deg angle. Hot glue peels of the metal easily.

mjmccarron

Years ago I bought an E.J. Lind Magnetic Building Board system. It works reasonably well for holding things true but lacked in clamping force. I still use it for squaring things up though. Looking forward to printing some replacement parts for it soon.

Mike

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Thanks, that gives me more stuff to study over the next months. Nice information in that thread.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
So, I ordered a small medium set of fixtures and magnets with my tax return. The mail man came yesterday and forgot to put the parcel box key In my mailbox, so now I am staring out the window at the parcel mail box wondering how to get inside before Monday...arggggggg!!!!!!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Got the Steel Building Board done!

One of my customers gave me a 20" x 60" section of 18 gauge steel for my building board free! So today I sanded, put 2" gridlines and center lines on it and clear coated it so it wont rust over time. It came out really good and it should be very flat. I also cut out a piece of 1/2" CDX plywood and finished it with Minwax. I will put the plywood on top of my card table underneath the sheet metal to help keep it flat. I could mount the plywood to the steel, but I am afraid it would get too heavy, so with them separated I can move and store them easier. Once I put a finish on the airfield fixtures I will post up a picture of the complete system. This is almost like a build in itself setting up the magnetic build system and it should last me a lifetime, also looking good along the way!

The raw steel.
IMG_2520.JPG

Sanding it smooth.
IMG_2521.JPG

Marking the 2" grid lines using a sharpie.
IMG_2522.JPG

Clear coat finish, using rustoleum gloss clear coat.
IMG_2523.JPG

Last edited:

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I've recently started using the magnetic building surface and absolutely love it. With a 3D printer I'm also able to print some fixtures now to really increase accuracy during the construction.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Dude that looks awesome.

Thanks! I am super excited about this project and getting back to balsa. I am hoping this system will help me build very straight and true balsa models. I just am sick of using pins and fighting the pins...arggg