Massachusetts

HilldaFlyer

I've introduced Flight Test to the flying club I am a member of - QMFC (Quinapoxet Model Flying Club). Central MA, the Worcester area.

captron360

What town do you guys fly in? The club I belong Northbridge. Maybe we can get together and fly some time. I was talking to a guy in RI that is interested also.
Happy Landings
Ron

HilldaFlyer

Sorry Ron,
Didn't see this reply.
I fly just NE of Holden MA at QMFC. I think they'er website has the location.
Love to fly with others.

HilldaFlyer

I grew up in Montana. What brings me here? Tis not the BIG SKY and OPEN LAND. My first RC experience was slope soaring on Mount Jumbo in Missoula. Professor Van Holde Chemistry Uof Montana took me. What a great time.

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
I grew up in Kansas, but I've been in RI since 2001. I can vouch for captrton360. We've gotten together to fly a few times and always had a blast! The hardest part is leaving the field. Let me know if you guys manage to coordinate something. I have been watching your jets for a while Hillda. Great stuff! If I have the time available I'd love to join in.

captron360

Flying in Massachusetts

If you use 467 School Street you will see it. Nice field but lots of trees and water around.
I also fly at a soccer field in Uxbridge 320 Sutton St, Uxbridge, MA.
They call it the 100 acre lot. It's on top of a hill so it does get windy at times.

captron360

This is the field in Northbridge. You can go as a guest for a couple of times then you have to be a member and AMA card is needed:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/W...2!3m1!1s0x89e406585a2a8b0d:0x9e137dd87fca4d6d

Here is the soccer field:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/U...2!3m1!1s0x89e41161e96156f1:0xb9fd1d93dc90f6b3

captron360

Lets get together and fly

I can vouch for JohnRambozo. He is a great pilot, not to mention a great guy too. Lots of fun to fly with.
We should get as many as we can and fly together. Call it a mini flite fest lol.
Our club field is wet and soggy so we can't drive to it. Other members complain about tires sinking in the mud.

JohnRambozo

I can vouch for JohnRambozo. He is a great pilot, not to mention a great guy too. Lots of fun to fly with.
We should get as many as we can and fly together. Call it a mini flite fest lol.
Our club field is wet and soggy so we can't drive to it. Other members complain about tires sinking in the mud.

Thanks, Ron. I'm all for it!

HilldaFlyer

Fun Fun Fun !

Sounds really fun.
Looks like it is going to be a trek no matter which field we go to.

QMFC also requires AMA membership. Guests are welcome to fly here with member present. I don't think we have a visit limit. Nobody really knows who is and who isn't a member. The frequent fliers are recognized and nobody asks too many questions anyway. The field is about a 1/4 mile round so pretty open. If you've seen my videos, you've seen the field.

Maybe we should do a round robin and visit each other's domain. I like to fly on Saturday mornings since the wind is more calm in the mornings (for the most part).

Last edited:

JohnRambozo

It looks like the drive will be somewhere around 90 minutes for me. I guess I'll just have to get up extra early. Saturdays are usually good for me, too.

I have seen your videos Hillda. I like your jets. Its a nice looking field. "My" fields are public areas. One is a 70-75 acres and mostly soccer fields, the other is an historic farm that is really only used by people walking their dogs.

This video of Ron's B-17 shows off the area at Wilson Park pretty well. You get to see about half of it anyway. https://youtu.be/h9HI6keKrfU

And here's most of the usable area at Chase Farm. https://youtu.be/ZZ0SQCiPISA

Last edited:

captron360

Saturday morning

Hey guys lets do this..Pick a Saturday name the time and I'm in. That is if I don't have to work that day.
It doesn't matter to me where we go.
There is a field here in Uxbridge as well. I'm not sure when the kids start soccer practice.

JohnRambozo

Hey guys lets do this..Pick a Saturday name the time and I'm in. That is if I don't have to work that day.
It doesn't matter to me where we go.
There is a field here in Uxbridge as well. I'm not sure when the kids start soccer practice.

I'll go anywhere, too. Saturdays are usually good for me. I like to get started early. You're up, Hillda! :)

HilldaFlyer

Sounds like a good plan! If it would help, we can share my (or someone's) google calendar. Just email me through the forums notifications... and I'll add you to my HilldaFlyer google calendar. Meetups can be scheduled as well as events that would prevent meetups.

I'm willing to try new fields, but I should get organized with a departure checklist so I don't go scooting off without my transmitter, batteries, planes... you know - the needed stuff.

Tomorrow 4/2/16 terrible weather (no foolin') 50% chance of rain with wind 15 MPH.
I'm open the 9th - Weather prediction as of now is 50 and 60% chance of rain :( with wind at 12 MPH.
April 16 to May 14 Holden QMFC Field is closed from 8 am till 3 pm (see below). On these days if wind is predicted to be reasonable, I go after 3. Probably a good idea to use another location.
July 16 - FliteFest

More info about the Holden QMFC field-
It is "borrowed" or shared with the town of Holden (it is the cap of their old landfill). The town of Holden uses the site to collect yard waste from residents so the field will be off limits to flying on April 16 to May 14 from 8 am till 3 pm or so. The club rents a porta potty starting in April. We also have a shade canopy that can be set up. I have a portable charging station that I usually bring if I'm planning on flying for a while. There is one rolling table, one static table and five rolling starting stations.

Last edited:

captron360

Sat the 9th

I do have work scheduled for that Saturday the 9th but I will still have time to fly. As of now I have the next 3 Sat. open.
I don't care where we go.

Rames

If you're open to others, I'm interested as well. My only group flying experience has been at FF the last to years. I currently fly at Framingham High School less than a 1/4 mile from my house. Its a good area, but timing is hit or miss with athletic activities.

HilldaFlyer

If you're open to others, I'm interested as well. My only group flying experience has been at FF the last to years. I currently fly at Framingham High School less than a 1/4 mile from my house. Its a good area, but timing is hit or miss with athletic activities.

Yeah, I know how that goes. When I first started flying I used to go to Forest Grove school just two blocks away. Soccer and baseball was contenders. I had one coach ask me not to fly because his little league was watching me and not the ball...

JohnRambozo

I believe I speak for everyone when I say you are more than welcome to join us, Rames. This could shape up to be a mini New England Flite Fest.

I fly at a large public field that is mostly soccer. There are times when I have to find time when there are no activities going on. I have flown when there most of the fields are open and only 1 soccer game is going on, and all the kids just stopped in the middle of the game to watch. I didn't get asked to land, like Hillda, though. :)

I'll keep watching this thread. As soon as we have a date with decent weather, I can arrange to be there. I don't expect any Saturday conflicts in the near future.

Right now we have the worst of everything. Rain, snow and high winds.